Apple TV 4

limpe84

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My Apple TV came in at about 6 pm. Just set it up, here are my first impressions (and it's not a very good first impression).

1) Setup wasn't as smooth as my ATV 3. Logging in to my Wifi network via my phone took a few tries (the first couple of times just kinda froze there with no result).

2) Couldn't get any of my bluetooth peripherals to pair. My MAD C.T.R.L controller couldn't connect, and my K480 bluetooth keyboard could not be detected. Don't know what the problem is.

3) The multitouch controller is definitely better than the old remote, but still a pain to navigate the interface. Making it faster to scroll to different letters and numbers doesn't change the fact that you still have to scroll individually to each letter and / or number.

4) Right now, very few good apps / games. Or if they are there, it's near impossible to be aware of them. I had to download youtube, and I had to search for it as it wasn't on the recommended list of apps, and login was troublesome (why do I have to authenticate from my phone?). Hopefully, this will improve soon.

5) Right now, the only draw is Apple Music, but feels more cumbersome than just airplaying or streaming from my phone (due to the clumsiness of search). Music is also very soft. Dunno why.

6) Hey, it comes with a bundled lightning cable. I can never have too many of these lying around. =😛

I hope I don't have to return it, and I am hoping the ecosystem will improve soon, but honestly, it currently doesn't feel like much of an upgrade from my existing Apple TV 2nd gen.

Jas007

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Got mine from iStudio@Novena just now.

:eek:

maybe i should consider cancelling my order and buy direct

how's the stock at the store ? looking at 64GB ...

headsup if know of other branches

TIA :)

oric1

Reaction score
:eek:

maybe i should consider cancelling my order and buy direct

how's the stock at the store ? looking at 64GB ...

headsup if know of other branches

TIA :)

It was kept in the room so not sure how much stock they have, I just walked in and asked for it.

I called iStudio@Orchard Central eariler today and they said their stocks are coming in this evening.

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
don't think demand is high la...
many don't bother
more don't know
many more waiting for reviews.

beats sports damn nice !
even crossy road also damn entertaining to be played on big screen !

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I mean Siri is disabled if using SG apple ID. To use Siri, just log in using US Apple ID.

Sorry if I made you confused.

Correct.
That's the easiest arrangement - just an on off switch from Apple.

Some can still imagine Apple sg will provide a old remote or a new remote without Siri.

cloud77

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, for those of you who got the ATV4, can I check if it can browse the network to play a video file on a NAS or on another pc on the same network ? If yes, it is a native function or got to download an app to do this ? Thanks

chris888222

Reaction score
Hope some developer will come out with a HK drama app for Apple TV soon. Can finally replace my android box when that happens.

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone successfully played 2 players Crossy road - with remote and 6s?

I can't seem to locate the iPhone to select player 2 leh

JondorZ

Reaction score
Anyone successfully played 2 players Crossy road - with remote and 6s?

I can't seem to locate the iPhone to select player 2 leh

1. make sure apple tv and the iphone is connected to the same wifi network,
2. launch crossy road on the apple tv, scroll up to bring up choose creature menu, choose "2 player mode", you will enter the choose creature in 2 player mode
3. launch crossy road on the iphone, press the arrow button on the bottom right, choose controller icon, give it a few seconds and it should connect. (if it doesn't connect, try turn off/on wifi on iphone. if still fails, try restart both devices)(To restart apple tv: hold both menu and home button until the led flashes, then release both buttons)
4. choose creatures for player 1 and player 2, start, and have fun!

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1. make sure apple tv and the iphone is connected to the same wifi network,
2. launch crossy road on the apple tv, scroll up to bring up choose creature menu, choose "2 player mode", you will enter the choose creature in 2 player mode
3. launch crossy road on the iphone, press the arrow button on the bottom right, choose controller icon, give it a few seconds and it should connect. (if it doesn't connect, try turn off/on wifi on iphone. if still fails, try restart both devices)(To restart apple tv: hold both menu and home button until the led flashes, then release both buttons)
4. choose creatures for player 1 and player 2, start, and have fun!

Thanks bro.

If can 3 players better.

I tried beats sports 2 players last night - quite fun also.
And can max up to 4 players.
It's good easy fun during gathering.

JondorZ

Reaction score
Hi guys, for those of you who got the ATV4, can I check if it can browse the network to play a video file on a NAS or on another pc on the same network ? If yes, it is a native function or got to download an app to do this ? Thanks

I found 2 apps which should be able to connect to NAS and browse your video library:
1. SimpleX for Plex (USD2.99)
2. VideoExplorer (free)

I have not tried these two apps, so i don't know whether it works or not.

I am still waiting for the official Plex app and VLC app.

JondorZ

Reaction score
Thanks bro.

If can 3 players better.

I tried beats sports 2 players last night - quite fun also.
And can max up to 4 players.
It's good easy fun during gathering.

You are welcome bro.

max 4 players: you mean can connect 1 remote and up to 3 iphones?

I want to try beat sports. It sounds fun. but is the price tag (S$12.90) worth it?

oric1

Reaction score

I found 2 apps which should be able to connect to NAS and browse your video library:
1. SimpleX for Plex (USD2.99)
2. VideoExplorer (free)

I have not tried these two apps, so i don't know whether it works or not.

I am still waiting for the official Plex app and VLC app.

Just a matter of time. I've tons of SMB / NAS / UPnP / DLNA streaming apps but my all time favourite (universal) is still Infuse 3 and it's coming to Apple TV very soon. Not many apps out there can play Dolby Digital Plus (AC3/E-AC3), DTS & DTS-HD audio but this baby can.

http://firecore.com/infuse

oric1

Reaction score
The Apple "Remote" app for iPhone/iPad is not compatible with the new Apple TV :(

It's a PITA having to input Login ID & password using the new Apple TV remote. Well I'm not the only one complaining =:p

MacRumors - A remote app update?

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You are welcome bro.

max 4 players: you mean can connect 1 remote and up to 3 iphones?

I want to try beat sports. It sounds fun. but is the price tag (S$12.90) worth it?

Yep.
1 remote 3 iPhones.

Multi player mode is swipe left up and right.

Single player mode is swing the remote. (Like wii)

Ya $12.90. Or US 9.9.

I like music games. So this is very fun for me !

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.