Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
I'm thinking of upgrading my Dahon Speed P8 from 8 speed to 20 speed.

01. FD
02. FD adapter
03. left and right shifters
04. Jagwire cable housing and cables
05. 39 teeth chainring

If I opt for 20 speed, add

06. 10 speed RD
07. 10 speed chain
08. 10 speed cassette

09. Shimano Deore V-brakes calipers and levers.

How much do you guys think it will cost, in Singapore? And also any idea/recommendations who can do it?

Thanks!
1 and 2 can use any kind doesn't matter . Around 70 or so new should be cheaper online dunno how good you wanna

3. I dunno you using flatbar shifters or so or the road bike kind.. this will cost very expensive 2nd hand shimano 105 shifters are already going for 200 SGD

4.Around 50 SGD no difference in performance (at least that's what I pay)

5 not too sure if a single chain ring can add this part also expensive in comparison to a new crank around 70 or so SGD

6,7,8 I think around 150 SGD but if you're changing to this might as well buy 10 speed shifters as well

Sent from Asus ASUS_T00P using GAGT
 
Last edited:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,632
Reaction score
3,484
I'm quoted RM1000 +- for the upgrade. With the exchange rate now, seems like it's pretty worth the price.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,632
Reaction score
3,484
BRU quoted starting from $650....

Decided that if I'm going to upgrade the bicycle, will do it in KL.
 

Narukura

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2013
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
0
some shops now realise their parts price can't fight with online, so also do installation service also for parts bought online. one of the lbs I go to even tell me they encourage customers to buy online and let them install cos online prices cheaper and they don't stock much parts. :o
Can sic which shop so can go there next time.

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT
 

Narukura

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2013
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
0
bought it at cannasia at vertex. there got quite a few bicycle stores can see.
I see. Good for me within cycling distance.

Was at khvertex earlier today hoping to find Scott goggles but they don't have. Anyone know where can find? Looking for something to wear over specs to substitute wearing of sunglasses as I still need to wear my normal specs to see clearly.

Sent from Motorola NEXUS 6 using GAGT
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,870
Reaction score
3,141
I'm thinking of upgrading my Dahon Speed P8 from 8 speed to 20 speed.

01. FD
02. FD adapter
03. left and right shifters
04. Jagwire cable housing and cables
05. 39 teeth chainring

If I opt for 20 speed, add

06. 10 speed RD
07. 10 speed chain
08. 10 speed cassette

09. Shimano Deore V-brakes calipers and levers.

How much do you guys think it will cost, in Singapore? And also any idea/recommendations who can do it?

Thanks!

Ah... I downgraded from 24 to 20 speed on my Tern. So maybe I can share some information with you.

Is your Dahon speed P8 this version?

You will need FD adapter and RD hanger (to use normal RD).

The contents below are for flatbar shifting.

I suggest you overhaul everything to 10 speed. Your current 52T may limit your top speed if you switch to ten speed cassette, unless of course you just wanna climb hills.

On 406 tyres, the recommended drivetrain will be 55/42 chainring with 32-11T 10 speed cassette. This will give you a gear ratio from 25 to 95". Changing to 10 speed means you have to get 10 speed RD and chain as well.

Your tyres may need to be changed to get the best out of your new modified gearing. Schwalbe Kojak for a balance of speed and comfort, or Schwalbe Durano/Panaracer Minits for speed.

There is no reason to change your v-brakes since it is working well.

I suggest you go Togoparts and get second hand parts. You will be surprised by the quality and price these second hand components can fetch and provide. For your usage, Shimano Tiagra 10 speed rear with 55/42 chainrings will be more than sufficient to cover hill climbing to cruising. I use the money originally set for Tiagra upgrade to get second hand Shimano Ultegra groupset.

As for Shimano or SRAM, you have to go online and see how the shifting is done for flatbar. I used both before and without a doubt, I will pick Shimano trigger shifters over SRAM shifters any day. Prefer to use both my thumb and index finger to shift accordingly. Once you decided over one brand, then stick to it. Better don't mix different brands together due to different pull ratio.

You will need the following:

1) FD and RD adapters
2) Pair of 10 speed flatbar shifters (for FD and RD).. Should be the most expensive
3) 10 speed RD, 2 speed FD
4) 10 speed chain, 10 speed cassette
5) 10 speed crankset with compatible BB. The mechanic may need to insert spacer to ensure good chain alignment
6) Some drinks for the mechanic! :D

For installation, its true that some LBS don't welcome walking customers who buy bike stuffs online or second hand. So far I am always welcome by Scootz AMK and the mechanics are more than happy to learn and share their knowledge and information with me during installation. Sometimes I just go over and discuss with them my next upgrade project, and will seek their advice and expertise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top