Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmilingDevil

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
One basic question for the experts here.

My setup is this:

SRAM 10 speed chain
Shimano CS4600 cassette 25-11T 10 speed
Shimano flat bar shifters SL-R770 10 speed
Ultegra FD and crankset

Can I use Ultegra RD 6800-GS 11-speed derailleur on a 10-speed system?

Bought a second hand RD 6800-GS and found the shifting to be weird; either can't shift smoothly at either the lower or upper end of the cassette. :s22:
Yes you can. Its the shifter that determines how much the derailleur moves
Cheapest roadie with full 105?
Ridley Alu frame. 1.8k. Pm me for edmw price
As I am new to the scene of road bikes, my aim is to actually learn along the way and if possible keep within the budget as much as possible. The one recommend by the shop owner is actually a Silverback Strela 3

Silverback Technologies GMBH

Is this considered okay for about $1k?
Looks ok. However, my advice would be to get a more common brand as it is easier to sell it off later. Can look at their Cboardman. Reasonably priced. Ask for 2014 models and ask for discount!
 

SmilingDevil

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
woootz my tube burst quite spectacularly this morning :s13:

tubeburst.jpg

Pump too much?
 

haterer

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
173
Reaction score
0
No wonder so many ppl switching to air forks. So the way air forks work is like tubes - need to pump air regularly?

I saw another one with 110mm travel -

Custom FOX Air Suspension Fork Kashima Coated @ $350
-Taiwan's Factory Custom Air Suspension
-100% FOX suspension inspired design
-Lockout
-Air suspension
-OEM Kashima coated

Is this deal worthy?

If my stock fork is 100mm, that's the highest limitation I can go? There's like mixed views about mounting longer forks on frames that come default with 100mm fork.

No need to pump regularly la.. just means you need to adjust sag once, via pumping air using a shock pump nia. :D

-100% FOX suspension inspired design

So it's not a real Fox fork ar? Float or Talas? Got pic/link? If your budget is around there, can consider Manitou (I got mine low 400s IIRC).

Not really. But if you go longer travel, will increase BB height (affect carving thru corners a bit), and steep climbs must weigh the body more forward, to prevent the fork from flopping around. Generally I will only go as much as manufacturers' burliest model of the same frame. Eg. My Trance X stock was 125mm, but I got a 140mm to replace shortly after... as the top specced version was running that.

HTH. :)
 
Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
As I am new to the scene of road bikes, my aim is to actually learn along the way and if possible keep within the budget as much as possible. The one recommend by the shop owner is actually a Silverback Strela 3

Silverback Technologies GMBH

Is this considered okay for about $1k?

Imho it's okay a polygon is cheaper though

Take note if your finger is itxhy, a upgrade to the current 11 speed system would be super expensive
 

Mr.Chocolate

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2008
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Imho it's okay a polygon is cheaper though

Take note if your finger is itxhy, a upgrade to the current 11 speed system would be super expensive

Going down to the rodalink showroom at commonwealth this saturday to take a look around first before taking the plunge.

Been reading a little and hopefully able to get one with a Shimano Sora or a Tiagra at the very least. Hopefully can find one with a 105 that's within my budget too.
 

Jay Bee

Banned
Joined
Jan 31, 2013
Messages
43,120
Reaction score
2
hmmmm, i replaced my tube 32/47 with a 27/32...... now feels a bit weird and 60psi already very difficult to pump...... used to pump to 75 :s22:
 

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
39,711
Reaction score
4
Have been idle for almost the whole year while settling into the not-so-new job and studying late at night... People have been complaining I have been putting on so much weight that I gained all the weight I lost while cycling and more. :sad:

Am gonna ask some more noob questions, so bear with me. For purposes of clarification, I'm still using my old Trek DS 8.3 (a hybrid). :s34:

1) I am attempting to commute to work and back on bike. I am also considering commuting to night classes, but what's the safest/best way to commute to around SMU from around East Coast? I was thinking hit ECP till Fort Road, then Tanjong Rhu estate, cut out through sports hub, along Nicoll Highway and then Middle Road -> Waterloo. Problem is, I am not comfortable cycling on the roads so I'm still a pavements/PCN kinda cyclist. Is there a viable "safer" route from you veterans? I haven't actually tried that route before also, and wonder if it's too much for a suddenly-cycling-again person to attempt.

2) I clearly am putting on too much weight - sis actually bought me a Garmin 510 with cadence for Christmas, and asked me to use my bike more when she heard I thought of commuting to work. I've also since gotten a HRM second hand. I've heard it can do trainings and stuff. How do I actually do so? It tracks my commutes fine, but beyond that?

3) Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the Shimano reversible SPD and flats pedal? I am quite used to using my SPD shoes but they don't match work clothes. I can't be attending night class in tee shirt and shorts so there must be a compromise. I tried Rodalink, Cycle Craft and T3 along East Coast and they do not carry.

/Dan
 

SmilingDevil

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
1,104
Reaction score
0
who have shock pump to borrow?
My shop has.
hmmmm, i replaced my tube 32/47 with a 27/32...... now feels a bit weird and 60psi already very difficult to pump...... used to pump to 75 :s22:
Smaller tube harder to pump. Use floor pump. Easier
Have been idle for almost the whole year while settling into the not-so-new job and studying late at night... People have been complaining I have been putting on so much weight that I gained all the weight I lost while cycling and more. :sad:

Am gonna ask some more noob questions, so bear with me. For purposes of clarification, I'm still using my old Trek DS 8.3 (a hybrid). :s34:

1) I am attempting to commute to work and back on bike. I am also considering commuting to night classes, but what's the safest/best way to commute to around SMU from around East Coast? I was thinking hit ECP till Fort Road, then Tanjong Rhu estate, cut out through sports hub, along Nicoll Highway and then Middle Road -> Waterloo. Problem is, I am not comfortable cycling on the roads so I'm still a pavements/PCN kinda cyclist. Is there a viable "safer" route from you veterans? I haven't actually tried that route before also, and wonder if it's too much for a suddenly-cycling-again person to attempt.

2) I clearly am putting on too much weight - sis actually bought me a Garmin 510 with cadence for Christmas, and asked me to use my bike more when she heard I thought of commuting to work. I've also since gotten a HRM second hand. I've heard it can do trainings and stuff. How do I actually do so? It tracks my commutes fine, but beyond that?

3) Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the Shimano reversible SPD and flats pedal? I am quite used to using my SPD shoes but they don't match work clothes. I can't be attending night class in tee shirt and shorts so there must be a compromise. I tried Rodalink, Cycle Craft and T3 along East Coast and they do not carry.

/Dan

Nicole highway pavement is quite a pain in the ass, else the route shd be ok. City side pavement will have a lot of pple so you may need to cycle slowly.
If you are cycling on PCN and pavement, cadence doesn't really matter as you wont be cycling fast. You can read up on the what level of heart rate is best for burning fats and try to stay within that range.
If you are cycling on PCN and pavement, platform is better. You can try kian hong or online shops?
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
Gpgt Jin happy just upgraded my wheelset to fill carbon. Total weight 1.4kg without skewers and very reasonable price. Some more last one with campy hub.

I present to you FSA SL-K 38mm clincher wheelset
O1BM6LZ.png
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
Going down to the rodalink showroom at commonwealth this saturday to take a look around first before taking the plunge.

Been reading a little and hopefully able to get one with a Shimano Sora or a Tiagra at the very least. Hopefully can find one with a 105 that's within my budget too.
probably can get 10 speed tiagra.

105 abit hard to find.

generally speaking sept-nov is the best time to buywhen there is clearance sales cause the new bikes for 2015 will come in
Have been idle for almost the whole year while settling into the not-so-new job and studying late at night... People have been complaining I have been putting on so much weight that I gained all the weight I lost while cycling and more. :sad:

Am gonna ask some more noob questions, so bear with me. For purposes of clarification, I'm still using my old Trek DS 8.3 (a hybrid). :s34:

1) I am attempting to commute to work and back on bike. I am also considering commuting to night classes, but what's the safest/best way to commute to around SMU from around East Coast? I was thinking hit ECP till Fort Road, then Tanjong Rhu estate, cut out through sports hub, along Nicoll Highway and then Middle Road -> Waterloo. Problem is, I am not comfortable cycling on the roads so I'm still a pavements/PCN kinda cyclist. Is there a viable "safer" route from you veterans? I haven't actually tried that route before also, and wonder if it's too much for a suddenly-cycling-again person to attempt.

2) I clearly am putting on too much weight - sis actually bought me a Garmin 510 with cadence for Christmas, and asked me to use my bike more when she heard I thought of commuting to work. I've also since gotten a HRM second hand. I've heard it can do trainings and stuff. How do I actually do so? It tracks my commutes fine, but beyond that?

3) Does anyone know of anywhere that sells the Shimano reversible SPD and flats pedal? I am quite used to using my SPD shoes but they don't match work clothes. I can't be attending night class in tee shirt and shorts so there must be a compromise. I tried Rodalink, Cycle Craft and T3 along East Coast and they do not carry.

/Dan

1. I might go via tanjong rhu, kallang park, then take the bridge to victoria street and go all the way straight till city hall on pavement,

2. you might need to know your max heart rate and all that to start using heart rate monitor efficiently. and then slowly train to hit the required level.

I havent used a HRM in years but generally I train for race speed at around 75% of MHR, can probably peak at 90-100% of mhr for around 1 min plus but below that i can hold for quite long

training_zone_diagram.jpg


it will depend on what your target levels are for riding. generally for commuting i will probably hit 80% max and probably go around 60-70% max because you still need look out for traffic.

as for what is the MHR, I will have no idea because everybody one is different.

3. Do look at the shimano a540, but it looks like is for designed for mtb cleats rather than road cleats


Gpgt Jin happy just upgraded my wheelset to fill carbon. Total weight 1.4kg without skewers and very reasonable price. Some more last one with campy hub.

I present to you FSA SL-K 38mm clincher wheelset
gxgx whats the damage???
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,788
Reaction score
1,810
managed to drop by bianchi cafe in stockholm when i was there bro brought us there for breakfast

C2D464AD-7230-46B3-8476-6A4A059F707F_zpsgjbsiqxd.jpg


0C839180-F2F6-40A9-9ADF-E3C78E538AD3_zpsd9eoxx9f.jpg


they were having sale for the bikes and accessories there
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top