Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
59,431
Reaction score
4,369
No offense but I think you better bring your bike to local bike shop for servicing (grease, adjustment etc) to begin with. You'll get to know which part is which at the same time and how to maintain it yourself in the future.

No worries. I acknowledge my knowledge in bicycle servicing is rather inadequate. :(
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
Spray WD40 and wipe those parts that could get rusty easy. For bottom bracket and hub bearing, as long as they are covered by enough grease they are water resistant already.
Hmm, for me I rarely have rusty parts, i normally use stainless steel bolts or ti bolts.

wd40 is bad. dont use it. I normally dont lube bolts, but as for bike i normally use normal oil.


I only pump until around 60-70psi on my road bike for leisure cycling. Any higher would be too bumpy...
thats abit low, high chance to get puncture.
Pardon my ignorance. Where is bottom bracket and hub bearing you all referring to? What grease you use? :o
bottom bracket is the thing that connects your frame to the crank.

hub bearings are on the wheel itself, the part that connects the frame to the rims.

normally these parts have double or triple seals so it is normally quite okay.
You need a lot more to make it worthwhile. The shipping itself is EUR21 to SG I believe.

Yes, lubricants can be shipped and the price is pretty good compared to SG!

gotta go take a look, currently only want bar tape lol
 

Broadwalk

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
59,431
Reaction score
4,369
Hmm, for me I rarely have rusty parts, i normally use stainless steel bolts or ti bolts.

wd40 is bad. dont use it. I normally dont lube bolts, but as for bike i normally use normal oil.



thats abit low, high chance to get puncture.

bottom bracket is the thing that connects your frame to the crank.

hub bearings are on the wheel itself, the part that connects the frame to the rims.

normally these parts have double or triple seals so it is normally quite okay.


gotta go take a look, currently only want bar tape lol

What oil you using? :o
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
What oil you using? :o
currently

t9 boseshield
http://boeshield.com/
boeshielddrip.jpg


and
finishline ceramic lube
http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/chain-lubricants/ceramic-wet-lube
thumb_FL_CER_WET_US_2oz_MA_1312_CRC_RGB.jpg
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
P_20151102_150928_zpsl0fsezcx.jpg


cheap cheap 406x1.0 tires !! i think it was like below 10 per tire.


only thing now is my wheelset sucks.
 

movemanism

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2011
Messages
611
Reaction score
0
So many proper lubricate for bicycle out there. Usually bike shops carry them. I have one spray type, forgot the brand but I got it from bike shop too.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Pardon my ignorance. Where is bottom bracket and hub bearing you all referring to? What grease you use? :o

Do a search online, should be easy enough to find. :)

As for oil and lube. I use FinishLine 2-in-1 clean and lube spray for my drivetrain. Can easily order it from Bike24 and CRC I think. For grease, I use a Shimano grease I believe.

The type of lubricant (not grease) depends on the road and riding conditions. That's why some people say they can use sewing machine oil, it's too thin for anything other than light road/PCN usage.
 

Citiguy

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2006
Messages
8,220
Reaction score
65
Another topic that is frequently discussed when talking about chain lube is whether to get a dry or wet lube. :D
 

binary_0011

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2003
Messages
8,300
Reaction score
276
Either popeye sailor man, or the super master fapper. :s13:

Three other big sized guys and me tried to pump a Kojak tyre to 100psi.

We took turns, but the max we could do is about 75psi. :s13:

exactly but he doesn't agree with me, i wont argue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top