Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

touchme

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
22,048
Reaction score
70
I learned ytd if bikes are left in the sheltered open for long, the tyre tube will harden,, crack and auto, puncture without riding.

Pop quiz:
I've just discovered 3 of my 5 family bikes punctured because of this, why all 3 tubes pop on the back wheels only?
 
Last edited:

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
I learned ytd if bikes are left in the sheltered open for long, the tyre tube will harden,, crack and auto, puncture without riding.

Pop quiz:
I've just discovered 3 of my 5 family bikes punctured because of this, why all 3 tubes pop on the back wheels only?
cause the weight will eat into the tires if there isnt air pressure inside the tube.

as for 2nd cause, most probable cause is that rear of the bicycle has to hold more weight
 

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
39,792
Reaction score
1,810
hi there, due to my work im not certain whether there will be an off or half day for me.

after viewing the responses of the form decided on the following ride.

Date: 1st Jan2015
Time :930pm
Speed: garmin average between 28kph or so
distance:west loop

meeting place: the traffic light opposite fullerton hotel.

interested riders.
1. Sadisticnoob
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
Sounds like culling coming soon...

The police responded incredibly fast to the report I filed online - as in five minutes!

They said they would pass it on to AVA for a site visit; the dogs should be fine since no one was hurt.
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Hi all,

I was on Seletar North at around 4:40 this morning and passing one of the construction sites when these two dogs decided to chase me. Hair raising for sure since it was totally unexpected and they chased me for about 5 seconds.

I've been chased before and this has been the closest any ever got to me. Never been chased in SG and I've cycled through whole packs of them near Lor Halus, Yishun, Kranji, LCK, etc. I've even chased some off the road. Grrrr...

After they stopped, I armed myself with a wrench and turned around to go look for them. It's extremely dangerous for both cyclists and dogs for them to be running around. I went to one entrance of the construction site and called the company to leave a message.

I then went to the other entrance and found one of the dogs and scolded it. Not while on its territory of course! I was across the road but could easily see it when I shone my torch around the area.

So, please, everybody be careful! Ride safe!

When dogs chased after me and barked, I stopped and chased after them. Growled deeper than them and stomped loudly and gave chase. :s13:

I used to have dogs before. I know exactly what's their mentality and their vulnerable points.

Those dogs that don't bark but with ears raised and tail getting raised... they are more likely to attack. I will stand opposite them and not give chase. These dogs won't attack unless I intrude their territory.
 

tremor

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2001
Messages
37,576
Reaction score
1,256
The police responded incredibly fast to the report I filed online - as in five minutes!

They said they would pass it on to AVA for a site visit; the dogs should be fine since no one was hurt.

Congrats, u just killed 2 living lives. Hope u sleep well tonight.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I used to have dogs before. I know exactly what's their mentality and their vulnerable points.

Those dogs that don't bark but with ears raised and tail getting raised... they are more likely to attack. I will stand opposite them and not give chase. These dogs won't attack unless I intrude their territory.

Well, I used to have dogs too and I am not scared of them. One time, myself and a couple of people walked through a whole pack of ferals barking at us. This was at night with no streetlights and we had no idea that they were there until it was too late. No worries at all.

Anyways, you can't always tell what happens because as you said, "likely". And, don't forget, I was not in the dogs' territory, they were on the road; their territory is the construction site.
 

cyberian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
0
The police responded incredibly fast to the report I filed online - as in five minutes!

They said they would pass it on to AVA for a site visit; the dogs should be fine since no one was hurt.

Dogs caught by AVA will be put to sleep :( unless animal shelter rescue them. Should have call animal shelter instead.
 

cyberian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
1,586
Reaction score
0
When dogs chased after me and barked, I stopped and chased after them. Growled deeper than them and stomped loudly and gave chase. :s13:

I used to have dogs before. I know exactly what's their mentality and their vulnerable points.

Those dogs that don't bark but with ears raised and tail getting raised... they are more likely to attack. I will stand opposite them and not give chase. These dogs won't attack unless I intrude their territory.

That is totally correct. Hope those caught will not be put to sleep but chances is zero.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top