Ask a Bicycle Question - Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
I think i buay song my foldie Crius Master D Shimano Sora rd, and looking for an upgrade. Will it make a lot difference if i switch to Deore / XT / 105 / Tiagra?

The weird thing is my Sora is matched with Alivio shifter and 9 speed cassette. I don't know if i would really need a 10 speed, so perhaps i save that cost and just change rd will do? Which rd will be the sweet spot for price and performance? Btw i also dunno whether this bike can change to 10 speed or use mtb rd.

Why buay song?
 

macpork

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2010
Messages
13,375
Reaction score
0
Ah yes! Oh, you knew about it?

Hhahaha! I slower than you, confirmed. The last time, you were already faster than me using your Polygon.
lol. ok la we go relaxing ride? :s34:
I rem that time you were talking about the Fuji here :D
 

I'mknotdumb!

Banned
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
30,053
Reaction score
2
Hi all,

I was on Seletar North at around 4:40 this morning and passing one of the construction sites when these two dogs decided to chase me. Hair raising for sure since it was totally unexpected and they chased me for about 5 seconds.

I've been chased before and this has been the closest any ever got to me. Never been chased in SG and I've cycled through whole packs of them near Lor Halus, Yishun, Kranji, LCK, etc. I've even chased some off the road. Grrrr...

After they stopped, I armed myself with a wrench and turned around to go look for them. It's extremely dangerous for both cyclists and dogs for them to be running around. I went to one entrance of the construction site and called the company to leave a message.

I then went to the other entrance and found one of the dogs and scolded it. Not while on its territory of course! I was across the road but could easily see it when I shone my torch around the area.

So, please, everybody be careful! Ride safe!

i report to SPCA liao
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,944
Reaction score
13,689
I think i buay song my foldie Crius Master D Shimano Sora rd, and looking for an upgrade. Will it make a lot difference if i switch to Deore / XT / 105 / Tiagra?

The weird thing is my Sora is matched with Alivio shifter and 9 speed cassette. I don't know if i would really need a 10 speed, so perhaps i save that cost and just change rd will do? Which rd will be the sweet spot for price and performance? Btw i also dunno whether this bike can change to 10 speed or use mtb rd.

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT

alivio shifter and sora rd combo sucks, poor shifting performance. had that on my foldie and upgraded to xt which is much better. think stay with mtb range better, road range like tiagra and 105 you need road sti or road flatbar shifters which are more expensive, need to change to drop bar also if using sti shifters.
 

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,200
Reaction score
3,676
alivio shifter and sora rd combo sucks, poor shifting performance. had that on my foldie and upgraded to xt which is much better. think stay with mtb range better, road range like tiagra and 105 you need road sti or road flatbar shifters which are more expensive, need to change to drop bar also if using sti shifters.
Roughly how much you spent on xt rd upgrade including labour?

No point for me to upgrade to 10 speed right? Not much performance difference right?

Do i need to change the chain when upgrading only my sora rd to xt?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT
 
Last edited:

de5ert

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
was wondering here , does anybody measure their bikes here ?

for me, i measure, saddle to handlebar drop and reach from tip of saddle to handlebar and reach from seatpost to handlebar
I measure saddle to bb using my heel as a gauge and when on my drops I don't see the hub can already. Cos I duno what is the correct measurement for me actually.

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 

de5ert

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
i never really followed stack and reach, the 3 important factor to me, are saddle to bottom bracket height, drop between handlebar and saddle and
the saddle tip to stem faceplate,

never take into account crank length cause usually im using 170mm


across my mini velo and road bike is all very close surprisngly.
Actually drop btw saddle to handlebar and saddle tip to stem faceplate depend on which factor? How do u measure what is the correct distance?

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 

DigDub

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 21, 2002
Messages
83,944
Reaction score
13,689
Roughly how much you spent on xt rd upgrade including labour?

No point for me to upgrade to 10 speed right? Not much performance difference right?

Do i need to change the chain when upgrading only my sora rd to xt?

Sent from Xiaomi MI 4I using GAGT

can't remember already. 10 speed depends on the cassette you take, cos if the gears they give you a wider range, you can go faster, or climb with a lower gear. usually need to change the chain also cos the thickness is different.
 

de5ert

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
9AJG9LL.jpg


new bike!! got it from SD's shop :s34: clearance :s13:
Nice bike! Which version is that? I should post my new bike too haha.
Your floor must be new isit haha.
gxgx! boardman was one of my consideration too, in the end got a specialize. :D

IMG_20151224_185200.jpg
Nice bike too!

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
alivio shifter and sora rd combo sucks, poor shifting performance. had that on my foldie and upgraded to xt which is much better. think stay with mtb range better, road range like tiagra and 105 you need road sti or road flatbar shifters which are more expensive, need to change to drop bar also if using sti shifters.

True story..my verge p9 was on that combo..

I change to shimano saint rd(short cage) shimano xt cs-m771 cassette and deore xt flatbar shifter..kmc 10s chain..

The shifting is smoother, faster, accurate and more quiet too..diy at home after the parts came in from evanscycle..

While at that, I change out the brake levers and v calipers to deore xt as well..

2TXK5wv.jpg
 
Last edited:

rarenick

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
26,200
Reaction score
3,676
True story..my verge p9 was on that combo..

I change to shimano saint rd(short cage) shimano xt cs-m771 cassette and deore xt flatbar shifter..kmc 10s chain..

The shifting is smoother, faster, accurate and more quiet too..diy at home after the parts came in from evanscycle..

While at that, I change out the brake levers and v calipers to deore xt as well..

2TXK5wv.jpg
Is saint rd an overkill or no choice because thats the only compatible rd for your bike?

I am also considering an internal gear hub, as good as replacing thee total drivetrain except crankset. Worth doing it?

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT
 
Last edited:

Gixxerfied

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
84,917
Reaction score
2,910
Is saint rd an overkill or no choice because thats the only compatible rd for your bike?

I am also considering an internal gear hub, as good as replacing thee total drivetrain except crankset. Worth doing it?

Sent from Asus P024 using GAGT

Overkill? Not really I guess, my rd + shifter + cassette cost me about s$200.

I stick with my stock cassette ratio but went up one speed higher so either saint or zee since both short cages..

No experience with internal gear hub..
 

de5ert

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
True story..my verge p9 was on that combo..

I change to shimano saint rd(short cage) shimano xt cs-m771 cassette and deore xt flatbar shifter..kmc 10s chain..

The shifting is smoother, faster, accurate and more quiet too..diy at home after the parts came in from evanscycle..

While at that, I change out the brake levers and v calipers to deore xt as well..

2TXK5wv.jpg
I duno how u all can change bike parts so easily. I tried changing my bike stem and couldn't take the stem out so had to cab to fat cat to do it for me, the reason to change was becos I spoilt the screw thread in the old stem. :(

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 

de5ert

Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2005
Messages
469
Reaction score
0
Anyone interested in Rotor 3D+ (the $1300 one) crank?

Am selling my 175mm crank, comes with 52-36T round chainrings. It'll fit Pressfit 30 BBs, but will have to check if it can fit non-Cervelo bikes due to Cervelo's BBright standard and the resulting spindle length.

12377713_869072696524633_4821819439737282314_o.jpg


Price is $379. Please PM me if interested, thanks!

Selling cus changed to DA crank to prep for Stages.. :o

Also for sale: Zipp 303 wheelset with black 2014 V9 rear hub
Not a buyer but the photo is nicely taken. U must have a gd cam :)

Sent from Samsung SM-G900F using GAGT
 

erwinrommel

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
27,872
Reaction score
3,141
Overkill? Not really I guess, my rd + shifter + cassette cost me about s$200.

I stick with my stock cassette ratio but went up one speed higher so either saint or zee since both short cages..

No experience with internal gear hub..

If I were you, i will change the stock cassette. 32-11 nine speed gear spread is quite awful for cycling.

The gear ratio gap at your higher gears are not really ideal to maintaining cadence at high speed.

I am using 25-12 cassette. Much easier to cycle and maintain cadence at higher speed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top