Assembled PC - not sure what to do next

kenghock68

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi
I have assembled my PC but I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone advise please or where I can get help
Thanks
Ken
 

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,439
Reaction score
28,659
Hi
I have assembled my PC but I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone advise please or where I can get help
Thanks
Ken

Usually, there is this "Power On" button on your PC, how about try pressing that & see what happen?:s11::s22:
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Take a hammer and destroy that PC

2IfuCO3.gif
 

dawnknight

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
701
Reaction score
0
install OS and drivers
check temperature of cpu / gpu / disk drives
go into bios to tweak settings to your preference
run some programs to check speed, response, stability
 

kenghock68

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
My thanks to dawnknight.

I should have been more specific. System powers up ok. I was looking for a procedure or checklist I could use as a guide.

Lots of comics here :). Take care as these tend to be manic depressive. See what happened to Owen Wilson and more recently Robin Williams.
 

XeonHacker

Master Member
Joined
May 30, 2003
Messages
4,698
Reaction score
113
Dear kenghock

If u dun know how to ask, dun blame others for being "comic".

No one owe you an answer to your questions.
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
My thanks to dawnknight.

I should have been more specific. System powers up ok. I was looking for a procedure or checklist I could use as a guide.

Lots of comics here :). Take care as these tend to be manic depressive. See what happened to Owen Wilson and more recently Robin Williams.

:s13::s13::s13:
 

cenedra

Banned
Joined
Apr 9, 2009
Messages
11,121
Reaction score
0
Usually, there is this "Power On" button on your PC, how about try pressing that & see what happen?:s11::s22:

U should tell ts to plug in the power cord to his psu first, else wait he never plug and press on button pc can't power up, then he blames u for giving him bad advice
 

KingJio

Master Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
0
U should tell ts to plug in the power cord to his psu first, else wait he never plug and press on button pc can't power up, then he blames u for giving him bad advice

not so much of plugging in the system, but some newbies actually thought their com won't power up when actually they did not on the PSU switch.
 

localITguy

Suspended
Joined
Dec 13, 2013
Messages
17,788
Reaction score
1,674
Install Windows
Install Drivers for your mbo and GFX
Update Windows ( check for updates and install them (make sure windows says there is no updates) ( you need to check for updates a couple of times , Install update reboot and check again)
Install Google chrome
Install Microsoft microsoft security essentials

and you are good to go.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
  1. Install Windows
  2. Install drivers
  3. Check Device Manager see if all hardware installed fine and got any problem (error or warning).

If you want, can consider running to benchmark or stress test:

  • Intel Burn Test (CPU)
  • Prime95 (CPU)
  • Mem Test (RAM)
  • HD Tune (HDD/SSD)
  • 3D Mark (Video)
  • Furmark (Video)

But imo, not required unless you want to be 100% absolutely sure your hardware stable like a rock or you intend to do something mission-critical on your desktop PC.

Quite time-consuming to run these tests.
 

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
  1. Install Windows
  2. Install drivers
  3. Check Device Manager see if all hardware installed fine and got any problem (error or warning).

If you want, can consider running to benchmark or stress test:

  • Intel Burn Test (CPU)
  • Prime95 (CPU)
  • Mem Test (RAM)
  • HD Tune (HDD/SSD)
  • 3D Mark (Video)
  • Furmark (Video)

But imo, not required unless you want to be 100% absolutely sure your hardware stable like a rock or you intend to do something mission-critical on your desktop PC.

Quite time-consuming to run these tests.

I setup PC, can post can BOOT, drivers installed game shows normal FPS, system is ready to go :s13:
 

nyquist_ty

Master Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
4,009
Reaction score
0
I setup PC, can post can BOOT, drivers installed game shows normal FPS, system is ready to go :s13:
For those of us who play games on PC, we still need to migrate the save files...good luck hunting down the save files which are all over the place. Luckily most of my games are on Steam cloud.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Normally what i will do, just like my own PC, and other clients and forumers PC:

1. Install Windows 7 or 8.1
2. Install my trusty USB wireless adapter
3. Start downloading all drivers
4. Install all downloaded drivers
5. For AMD GPU users set overscan to maximize screen
6. Start force download of Windows update. IIRC 158 updates for Win7 and 30+ updates for Win8.1
7. Format HDD if any
8. Download Furmark and complete 15mins 1080p burn in test
9. Prime95 stress test for an hour
10. Memtest86 testing
11. HD Tune Testing

Total time for Win7 from start installation ~ 4hours
Win8.1 ~ 3.5hours
 
Last edited:

devilwahaha

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2010
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
0
For those of us who play games on PC, we still need to migrate the save files...good luck hunting down the save files which are all over the place. Luckily most of my games are on Steam cloud.

Migrating save files is surprisingly easy, I did it once for Far Cry 3, simple copying of some config files throw inside some folder and voila :D

Anything less than 1TB worth of stuff wont take very long anyway if you transfer via internal SATA.

Besides, I will probably finish the game first before "migrating" to the new system to avoid the hassle altogether. If i started the game on the current PC, means the current PC definitely able to run the game well :D
 

kenghock68

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2010
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Hi Guys
Thanks for all startup guidance, its very much appreciated. Also please accept my apologies as no intention to cause offence. Dry humour is hard to convey online. I'll stay with slapstick.

Currently, I don't see the option to get into the bios when I start up the PC. I was planning to set the boot sequence to USB first in order to install windows.

Another problem is that I can start the PC, ie the fans power up. However, I cannot turn it off when I press the power switch again. I know the switch works because the systems is off when I fresh plug in the mains and hit the switch to turn it on.

I'm running the following setup if this info helps
MSI A88XI AC
AMD A10 7850
AMD R9 2x8 gb
HIS R7 250 iCooler 1GB GDDR5
Corsair H75
Samsung 850 128gb
Silverstone Tek 450W SFX Gold
Coolmaster elite 110 case
Mad Catz Rat 7 / Strike 5
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top