ASUS Router App - Remote access

devilboi88

Reaction score
Just bought a Asus router RT-AC58U and I thought the router app is pretty cool, I can be away from home and still see and control the network at home for my family members. But after trying it out, I was disappointed that the router app only works when my device is connected to the router network.

I read on Asus website that I can manage the network anytime anywhere, so am i doing it wrong or I misunderstand what that means?

Any bros here can help?

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought a Asus router RT-AC58U and I thought the router app is pretty cool, I can be away from home and still see and control the network at home for my family members. But after trying it out, I was disappointed that the router app only works when my device is connected to the router network.

I read on Asus website that I can manage the network anytime anywhere, so am i doing it wrong or I misunderstand what that means?

Any bros here can help?
You must apply for ASUS DDNS and allow the router.asus.com to be accessed through WAN as well. Everything is in ASUSWRT Dashboard UI in router.asus.com / 192.168.1.1 (default).

Sent from Sony E5653 using GAGT

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Any bros here can help?

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000926/

legaltech

Reaction score

Any bros here can help?

The app frees one from having to use a PC to change settings which were (a) not available on mobile apps, or (b) clumsy to manouvere on a phone screen through a mobile browser as the User Interface was not built with a mobile phone in mind. It's really quite cool in that sense.

If setting up scheduled parental controls, or teaching those at home how to power cycle the router and ONT as a first step troubleshoot if anyone at home has lousy or no connection are not enough and you cannot do without having to access your router remotely, then mitigate other potential risks (e.g. change login name to something else other than "admin" + use strong password, disable UPnP if not needed by other devices, keep abreast of firmware changes, secure the home network printer if there is one, and the list goes on with each security vulnerability being dug out).

NB: enabling remote management goes against any current advice. Just do a Security Scan on the app itself and have a look. ;)

Anyway, if the router/modem/ONT somehow disconnects and the folks at home can't get themn back online by powering off and on again, I'm not sure how I can remotely connect back to it to troubleshoot. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.