ASUS UX305F Touchpad stop working suddenly

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
Hi,

I have been facing this problem for a while now... I have an ASUS UX305F running Windows 8 64 bit and updated to Windows 10 64 bit in 2018. The touchpad was working fine until one day it suddenly stopped.

I checked Device Manager and see that under Mice and other pointing devices, there is only a Microsoft PS/2 mouse. There is no Touchpad under Device Manager. Show Hidden Devices also doesn't show the Touchpad.

I tried downloading the ASUS Smartgesture driver which is for the Touchpad, and what happens is that it will run and then give an error message saying that part of the installation package failed or something. I tried re-installing the ATK drivers but also no use.

I tried searching online and find that Windows 10 seems to have broken the touchpad of many laptops and in particular Asus laptops... with no solution.

Anyone knows how to get my touchpad drivers installed? Apparently Windows doesn't install any generic touchpad drivers.

The touchpad works in that I can move the mouse cursor around, tap and select but the Windows 10 gestures like 2-finger scrolling, etc is gone.

Please help if you can...
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,447
Reaction score
6,006
If you know how to reinstall the OS, else look for a shop/someone
who can assist.

Sometimes when OS upgrade, issues may happen especially
the drivers may get conflict or will not work properly after the upgrade.
Why software doesn't install, probably some files corrupted or missing
not to mention the age of this laptop.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
If you know how to reinstall the OS, else look for a shop/someone
who can assist.

Sometimes when OS upgrade, issues may happen especially
the drivers may get conflict or will not work properly after the upgrade.
Why software doesn't install, probably some files corrupted or missing
not to mention the age of this laptop.

I did a reset on the laptop but same result. Wiped all my apps... the other is to do a factory reset... that one more drastic. I haven't done that yet... not sure if it will work.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,447
Reaction score
6,006
I did a reset on the laptop but same result. Wiped all my apps... the other is to do a factory reset... that one more drastic. I haven't done that yet... not sure if it will work.

Format: Erases the whole drive. Everything on the drive is lost and the drive will be blank except it will use whichever File System it was formatted for.

Reset: This removes everything that is not related to the Operating System and resets all settings for the operating system to default values. It will remove all user files and you will have to setup your operating system as if you had just installed it.

Reset bascially wipe all program and setting to factory original.
If OS/Driver have issue than have to format.

If you are not familiar with reinstall OS from fresh, suggest approach a shop.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
Reset bascially wipe all program and setting to factory original.
If OS/Driver have issue than have to format.

If you are not familiar with reinstall OS from fresh, suggest approach a shop.

I did a complete reset, wiping everything and a fresh install of Windows 10... still no dice... sigh...
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
Since you say touchpad still can move cursor and tap, means hardware still ok.. maybe try this?
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/148114-how-enable-disable-touchpad-multifinger-gestures-windows-10-a.html

Thanks! But when I go to the Settings page and click on Touchpad - I only see the Taps section with the sensitivity settings. There are no other options there... indicating that the driver for the touchpad is not installed. And I can't install it cos it always fails saying that one or more components fail to install for some unknown reason...
 

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 22, 2005
Messages
30,608
Reaction score
120
honestly why go through so much trouble for a touchpad

just get a mouse?
 

limpingsim98

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2003
Messages
567
Reaction score
27
Hi,

I have been facing this problem for a while now... I have an ASUS UX305F running Windows 8 64 bit and updated to Windows 10 64 bit in 2018. The touchpad was working fine until one day it suddenly stopped.

I checked Device Manager and see that under Mice and other pointing devices, there is only a Microsoft PS/2 mouse. There is no Touchpad under Device Manager. Show Hidden Devices also doesn't show the Touchpad.

I tried downloading the ASUS Smartgesture driver which is for the Touchpad, and what happens is that it will run and then give an error message saying that part of the installation package failed or something. I tried re-installing the ATK drivers but also no use.

I tried searching online and find that Windows 10 seems to have broken the touchpad of many laptops and in particular Asus laptops... with no solution.

Anyone knows how to get my touchpad drivers installed? Apparently Windows doesn't install any generic touchpad drivers.

The touchpad works in that I can move the mouse cursor around, tap and select but the Windows 10 gestures like 2-finger scrolling, etc is gone.

Please help if you can...

I had this problem with UX303 since few years back after one of the windows 10 update. It was a driver screw up and cannot recover even reinstall drivers. Ask Asus support to help turn up quite a hopeless answer - to reinstall windows from scratch.

But surprised, recent win 10, 2004 update and suddenly it works (after so many years). So please give it a try as win 10, 2004 update is now released.

My friend has a Lenovo also has similar problem at same time frame. But they release a new driver to correct it.
 
Last edited:

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
I had this problem with UX303 since few years back after one of the windows 10 update. It was a driver screw up and cannot recover even reinstall drivers. Ask Asus support to help turn up quite a hopeless answer - to reinstall windows from scratch.

But surprised, recent win 10, 2004 update and suddenly it works (after so many years). So please give it a try as win 10, 2004 update is now released.

My friend has a Lenovo also has similar problem at same time frame. But they release a new driver to correct it.

Oh thank you for this! Yeah I was thinking might be one of the Windows updates broke the driver compatibility... a bit crazy but true... I haven't gotten the 2004 build yet... I will find online using Windows assistant...
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
Oh thank you for this! Yeah I was thinking might be one of the Windows updates broke the driver compatibility... a bit crazy but true... I haven't gotten the 2004 build yet... I will find online using Windows assistant...

The update is not ready yet for my laptop. Downloaded and install then it gave some error. Checking on the Microsoft webpage said some app was hindering the update. My laptop is on Build 1903. I tried on my desktop with Build 190 also cannot update. Actually my laptop says Build 2004 is here but must wait. So I guess not optimised for my devices yet.

How did you get the update? Auto or manually using Windows Update Assistant? I used Windows Update Assistant.

I guess I just have to wait. Likely a combination of Windows updates breaking the system plus poorly written Asus drivers.
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
My desktop got the drop for Build 2004 but it is downloading now... see if got same problem or not... but the laptop hasn't yet got notification... I wonder why... maybe Asus laptops not well designed in terms of software... so take longer...
 

Teo Ming Ern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
12,326
Reaction score
291
Jialat... try and try but simply cannot update the laptop to Build 2004, my desktop also... is the rollout gradual? I used Windows Update Assistant also cannot update. Says something is not right...
 

big toe

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2017
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have been facing this problem for a while now... I have an ASUS UX305F running Windows 8 64 bit and updated to Windows 10 64 bit in 2018. The touchpad was working fine until one day it suddenly stopped.

I checked Device Manager and see that under Mice and other pointing devices, there is only a Microsoft PS/2 mouse. There is no Touchpad under Device Manager. Show Hidden Devices also doesn't show the Touchpad.

I tried downloading the ASUS Smartgesture driver which is for the Touchpad, and what happens is that it will run and then give an error message saying that part of the installation package failed or something. I tried re-installing the ATK drivers but also no use.

I tried searching online and find that Windows 10 seems to have broken the touchpad of many laptops and in particular Asus laptops... with no solution.

Anyone knows how to get my touchpad drivers installed? Apparently Windows doesn't install any generic touchpad drivers.

The touchpad works in that I can move the mouse cursor around, tap and select but the Windows 10 gestures like 2-finger scrolling, etc is gone.

Please help if you can...
Windows 10 is recently known for breaking drivers. You may not need to install from scratch, just try reversing the last Windows update that caused it to stop working and see if that solves the problem.

You may also have to search the Web for drivers. My son's school Surface Note had driver issues also and I had to search for the specific driver on the provider's site. Don't expect Microsoft to tell you there is an updated driver.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top