trenzterra
Arch-Supremacy Member
- Joined
- Sep 18, 2002
- Messages
- 20,628
- Reaction score
- 516
Hi all,
Interested in purchasing an NAS and Asustor seems to offer the most value for money. However, I am just wondering if it is possible to set up a dual bay Asustor as two separate single disks? The reason why I don't want a RAID 1 configuration is that I want backup and some redundancy.
My mum wants to store her photos on a network hard drive. But she is afraid that she may accidentally delete some photos and it will be lost forever. So what I intend to do is to backup from one folder from HDD 1 to another folder in HDD 2 every week or so, so any mistake she makes can be easily undone, and if HDD 1 crashes, I will still have my data on HDD 2 (though it may be 1 week outdated). I understand that I can rsync locally to do this.
However, I am just wondering if it is possible to set up both disks as separate single disks? Or am I forced to use JBOD, where I have no control on which disk the data will reside? Thank you.
Interested in purchasing an NAS and Asustor seems to offer the most value for money. However, I am just wondering if it is possible to set up a dual bay Asustor as two separate single disks? The reason why I don't want a RAID 1 configuration is that I want backup and some redundancy.
My mum wants to store her photos on a network hard drive. But she is afraid that she may accidentally delete some photos and it will be lost forever. So what I intend to do is to backup from one folder from HDD 1 to another folder in HDD 2 every week or so, so any mistake she makes can be easily undone, and if HDD 1 crashes, I will still have my data on HDD 2 (though it may be 1 week outdated). I understand that I can rsync locally to do this.
However, I am just wondering if it is possible to set up both disks as separate single disks? Or am I forced to use JBOD, where I have no control on which disk the data will reside? Thank you.
