August weather in Taiwan

tango1983

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Hi guys! I'm planning a trip to Taiwan in Aug during the National Day week since its a long weekend. Any peeps can advise what would the weather be like during that period? I'm told that August is prone to Typhoon weather.

Cheers!!
 

xtwis7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2006
Messages
21,847
Reaction score
597
Hi bro, I most likely will be travelling during that period as well. I did some reading up, yes it might be typhoon season. I guess the climate everything is close to SG weather. I thought it'll be very hot and dry actually since it's summer.
 

tango1983

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
85
Reaction score
0
Does Travel Insurance covers things like typhoon and offer reimbersement if we can travel due to typhoon??
 

swatchie

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2001
Messages
7,629
Reaction score
6
I also going TW during Aug this year. Thought it would be cool. Guess I was wrong :(
 

joeey

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2001
Messages
8,907
Reaction score
134
Last Aug it was typhoon hot! LOL.. typhoon came when we left kaoshiung and sun greeted us when we reach taichung
 

LearnIT

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
914
Reaction score
0
my experience from aug 2012
-very hot
-last year, typhoon caused intercity trains to halt service
-raining heavily almost 80% of the time last augest I was there.
-taoyuan airport was closed for 2 days due to typhoon i rem.
-bad landslide at taroko gorge. Many trails were closed:(
-ego bus canceled my trip to cingjing
-the rain caused mini train ride at wulai was closed when i was there
-maokong was closed due to weather. but i managed to ride it 2 days after.


did I enjoy?
Still Yes, I love taiwan
 
Last edited:

therat

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
3,771
Reaction score
224
Avoid at all cost. Unless you are SAUNA fan.
Weather very hot
air is warm.

This is my experience - 1 wk at taipei during Singapore national day that wk.
 

calkel20

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 13, 2010
Messages
42,717
Reaction score
737
Hot weather but got nice blue skies and clouds. Perfect setting for pictures. Wait till u kena Jan, then u will quite hate it as weather is all gloomy and will rain quite a lot.

So if u like heading out to take pics and scenic place, july/aug/sept is still the best time. Only to be dampened occassionally by wind.
 

twosix

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2000
Messages
30,246
Reaction score
9,009
Hot weather but got nice blue skies and clouds. Perfect setting for pictures. Wait till u kena Jan, then u will quite hate it as weather is all gloomy and will rain quite a lot.

So if u like heading out to take pics and scenic place, july/aug/sept is still the best time. Only to be dampened occassionally by wind.

July to Sep is the typhoon season, no? Highest rainfall period. Better to stay in Singapore imo.

Monthly and Yearly Weather Averages for Taipei, TWN
 

Vvengeance

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2012
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
So from what I understand from the above post. Its gonna be freaking hot and chance of having typhoons? lol
 

Vvengeance

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2012
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Maybe thats why the air tickets so cheap. But ah well Taiwan is still Taiwan regardless of weather :)
 

mirukuboi

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
85,344
Reaction score
6,746
Hot weather but got nice blue skies and clouds. Perfect setting for pictures. Wait till u kena Jan, then u will quite hate it as weather is all gloomy and will rain quite a lot.

So if u like heading out to take pics and scenic place, july/aug/sept is still the best time. Only to be dampened occassionally by wind.

I went in January and I love it. Cool, low season, hardly any rain.

But not sure if I should do August. If it's going to rain everyday.
 

hydrodog

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
3
was talking to the local tour guide in Taiwan when I was there last august. usually before the typhoon hit taiwan, it will be scorching hot for the prior few days. temperature will hit a high of 38-39 degrees ( not sure if it will hit 40) until even the thermometer at train stations will break down and malfunction. I was there when Tyhoon Tienpin hit. Was at kenting 4 days before the typhoon arrive and I had sun burnt just by walking around the streets..

Had my alishan trip cancelled as well. It was 2 days before typhoon hit. I could have still travel by private mini bus up to alishan from chiayi, but I cancelled it by my own choice though, because I'm uncertain even if I make it up, can I make it down and not have my plans disrupted.

When typhoon finally enter taiwan, I was at cingjing. Minibus can still travel up to the mountains from sun-moon lake. But the storm created a scary feel, fallen branches and leaves are everywhere along the road in cingjing, with strong wind howling loudly through the night. I remember seeing on TV how hengchun, kenting, the town that I visited just few days before got flooded and destoryed by the typhoon, and how airport runway was ruined by the bombardment of rocks caused by the typhoon.

But when next morning comes, it was clear sky, and I had pictures of 云海taken when I was at 合歡山. Point is, you can still go places, but you must have the contacts to bring you up. if you want, you can pm me and I'll pass you my guide's details. Chinese speaking, and knows along about his country. I would say he is one of the best guide you can get for central taiwan travel.
=P
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top