Average budget for a mid-high end laptop?

Sherman242

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
I'm looking for a gaming laptop that can run games well, has a good graphics card (700/800 GTX) and 16gb of ram. Any suggestions?

Additional info:
Planning to use this for Poly, so it can't be too bulky (around 2kg)
My budget is around $2000 SGD

Games I'm planning to play : Titanfall, League of Legends, Borderlands 2, Watchdogs
 
Last edited:

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
First of all 16GB RAM won't boosts the gaming performance compared to 8GB RAM. You only need 16GB RAM if you're doing heavy photoshop like more than 250MB of image.

Since Watchdogs haven't available yet, I'll use Titanfall to set a borderline which graphic card is sufficient since LoL and BL2 is lighter than Titanfall.

To play Titanfall smoothly(30fps at least) at high settings with 1366x768 resolution, you must get a laptop with GT 750M or above. To play it smoothly at high settings with 1920x1080 resolution, you must get a laptop with GTX 765M or above.

Since you got weight requirement, for now I only can think of Aftershock XG13 and MSI GE40
 
Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I reckon you will need at least a GTX765M if you are an FPS player. I am not too sure if you can something near your budget at 2KG at this point in time. The Aftershock XG13 is probably the closest you can get which packs a very decent specs, but do note its 13.3 inch monitor is not exactly what I call ideal for gaming.
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
So what laptops could I get if there were no weight requirements?

1080p screen + GTX 765M or above(price still below 2k): Aftershock XG15V2/XG17, MSI GE60

768p screen + GT 750M or above(price still below 2k): Lenovo Thinkpad E440, Lenovo Ideapad Y410P(from poly roadshow)

Gaming on 1080p laptop definitely looks better than gaming on 768p screen. I wouldn't recommend to get a 1080p laptop to play game on it with 768p resolution. Therefore I never listed all those laptops with 1080p screen + GT 750M
 
Last edited:

Sherman242

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2014
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
1080p screen + GTX 765M or above(price still below 2k): Aftershock XG15V2/XG17, MSI GE60

768p screen + GT 750M or above(price still below 2k): Lenovo Thinkpad E440, Lenovo Ideapad Y410P(from poly roadshow)

Gaming on 1080p laptop definitely looks better than gaming on 768p screen. I wouldn't recommend to get a 1080p laptop to play game on it with 768p resolution. Therefore I never listed all those laptops with 1080p screen + GT 750M

So for the MSI GE60, what are the differences between the names? E.g. GE60 2PL Apache/ GE60 2PC Apache etc. Thanks for helping with my laptop choice btw.
 

Unknownx

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
16
So for the MSI GE60, what are the differences between the names? E.g. GE60 2PL Apache/ GE60 2PC Apache etc. Thanks for helping with my laptop choice btw.

GE60 Apache series with GeForce 800 series haven't out yet and the difference between those two are the SSD capacity and keyboard backlight. The current GE60 2OE is the one using GTX 765M($1899) while the GE60 2OC is only using GT 750M($1599). FYI the new GE60 series are heavier by 200 grams compared to older one and when the Apache series released, the price should be more than $2000 for the GTX 860M model(GTX 765M's successor).
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top