Back Pack Size

mummynew

Reaction score
I need to buy a backpack for trekking as my loyal 20+ years old piece is too old (the bottom wearing off).

I am not sure whether to buy 35L or 45L bag. Basically to put my outer layer clothing when moving around shopping/trekking in Alaska region. Probably total weight I will put inside is less than 5 kgs (for layers of clothing, umbrella, water bottles, snacks etc).

Anyone can advise? (I love my dinosaur Dueter but don't know it's capacity).

*The below comes in 35L and 45L and both at same price:

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a backpack for trekking as my loyal 20+ years old piece is too old (the bottom wearing off).

I am not sure whether to buy 35L or 45L bag. Basically to put my outer layer clothing when moving around shopping/trekking in Alaska region. Probably total weight I will put inside is less than 5 kgs (for layers of clothing, umbrella, water bottles, snacks etc).

Cabin max size is usually 40l.

Typically below 20l, the weight is around 8kg. If packed full to 40l, the weight is around 15kg.

belgarathc

Reaction score
I would suggest at most 35ltr. It is already enough for me for multiple day treks with cabin stay (so no camping equipment) every night. I carry around 9kg. For your purpose, it seems like even a smaller backpack (20-25ltr) is sufficient. But not sure about the model you shared if you are looking at a bag that will last as long as your Deuter. Something more hardy with a raincover and hiking poles loops will be useful if you are going hiking.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

if you are walking around a lot with the backpack, get a proper decent backpack with good back support. This type, you'll probably want to throw away after walking for an hour or so, especially with the load.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i read that u can rent these gears in Alaska, maybe worth exploring this option if u don't hike frequently

mummynew

Reaction score
Thanks all for sharing your experiences.

I am not so willing to invest in another 'better' bag like Dueter coz I am not as active / gungho as when I was younger.

This current Alaska trekking is not the very siong type (limited by my stamina and body conditions). From now on will be easier treks / hikes that I don't foresee I will go that frequently too.

The 35L/45L is more for me to stuff in those layers that I need to lug along for just in case weather conditions change. These layers are not heavy but bulky and so wondering 35L can let me squeeze them in or not.

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I am not so willing to invest in another 'better' bag like Dueter coz I am not as active / gungho as when I was younger.

This current Alaska trekking is not the very siong type (limited by my stamina and body conditions). From now on will be easier treks / hikes that I don't foresee I will go that frequently too.

The 35L/45L is more for me to stuff in those layers that I need to lug along for just in case weather conditions change. These layers are not heavy but bulky and so wondering 35L can let me squeeze them in or not.
You buy already, take it to Bukit Timah or MacRitchie for a dry run. Or just take any backpack that has no proper back support to do the dry run.

I'll bet you'll want to buy a proper decent backpack after that. Btw, trekking or hiking?

mummynew

Reaction score
You buy already, take it to Bukit Timah or MacRitchie for a dry run. Or just take any backpack that has no proper back support to do the dry run.

I'll bet you'll want to buy a proper decent backpack after that. Btw, trekking or hiking?

Yeah, will try the bag when it arrives. If giam chye type then I will use it as my gym/swimming bag (I wear/pack track shoes for the gym and slippers for my swim. Women mostly very 麻烦 when moving around and tend to 'overpack').

I still yet to confirm which activity (trek or hike) I will take up while there. Reach oredi then see how (whether I will fall sick or not, weather good or not (predicted rainy in most days), etc).

Hisashiburi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Go to a store in sg n try out the 35/45 l sizes so u can see in person what they are like.

Sometimes hard to tell without seeing in person

mummynew

Reaction score
Go to a store in sg n try out the 35/45 l sizes so u can see in person what they are like.

Sometimes hard to tell without seeing in person

Been too busy to go out look see at things else will be the most logical thing to do to go and see what's 35L/45L difference. Now have to base on 'imagination' and advice from peers.

*I last minute then realised I need a backpack and so hurriedly buying from taobao to hope it can arrive in time else I will make do with my dinosaur Dueter for its last trip (and hope it won't break during journey).

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah, will try the bag when it arrives. If giam chye type then I will use it as my gym/swimming bag (I wear/pack track shoes for the gym and slippers for my swim. Women mostly very 麻烦 when moving around and tend to 'overpack').

I still yet to confirm which activity (trek or hike) I will take up while there. Reach oredi then see how (whether I will fall sick or not, weather good or not (predicted rainy in most days), etc).
Right. Maybe you are. Doubt most are :rolleyes:

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My Dueter bag last near 10 years still going strong although white colour start to turn yellowish. I use it for oversea trip, not trekking. If your bag support not good, after hrs of walking, your shoulder starts to get tired.

mummynew

Reaction score
My about SGD13 backpack arrived. Quality is very decent (zips, sewing, stripes, etc).

Will bring it to NTUC to pack about 5 kg of grocery and walk 30 min home to see the straps painful or not (definitely usable as my swimming bag if cannot be used for the trip).

45L (visual size similar to my old Dueter):

mummynew

Reaction score
The 'economical' backpack works well for my hikes.

Light weight, well designed compartments, and no cutting straps (about 5+ kg load).

A good buy!

mummynew

Reaction score
I bought the below similar design McKinley waterproof trekking shoes about 6-7 years ago from taobao. Used it once in harbin then stored it till the recne trip.

Was worring about whether they would 'open mouth' and to my pleasanr surprise, they performing solid as before. Comfortable/well cushionee, soild protection when walking on trail (muddy / rocky).

Can try this brand if want.

You dont need to be rich to be 'clever'...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.