Back to Diploma after Degree

landpork

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

Hope to gather some opinions from you guys. I have completed my Bachelor in Economics and Finance in SIM in mid 2015. I got a diploma in IT from NP in 2010. I started to develop strong interest and passion in Clean Energy and found out that NP do offer this course. I began reading up on articles and books in Clean Energy management, solar system and the basic of electrical engineering early 2016. I'm looking to switch into engineering for my career and hopefully start a business in clean energy industry. Currently working as financial analyst in a consultancy firm.

So my qns are:
1) Should I take diploma in Clean Energy Management in NP to build my foundation towards my ideal career path?
2) Is taking a diploma at my age too huge of a risk to take? (I'm 26 this year.)
3) What will your choice be if you were in my position?
 

landpork

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Hi guys,

Hope to gather some opinions from you guys. I have completed my Bachelor in Economics and Finance in SIM in mid 2015. I got a diploma in IT from NP in 2010. I started to develop strong interest and passion in Clean Energy and found out that NP do offer this course. I began reading up on articles and books in Clean Energy management, solar system and the basic of electrical engineering early 2016. I'm looking to switch into engineering for my career and hopefully start a business in clean energy industry. Currently working as financial analyst in a consultancy firm.

So my qns are:
1) Should I take diploma in Clean Energy Management in NP to build my foundation towards my ideal career path?
2) Is taking a diploma at my age too huge of a risk to take? (I'm 26 this year.)
3) What will your choice be if you were in my position?
 

paultheintern

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
1
Have you looked at online courses? Since you're going to start a business, you need knowledge more than paper qualifications. Online courses can be much faster and cheaper and there has been much improvements in the providers such as coursera and edx
 

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
16,912
Reaction score
0
Sometimes is the funding issue. Plus master may not get u job. If already have a degree. A diploma to get the Base know is gd enuff imo.

Honestly I learn way more In poly then in uni. Uni just stuff u with theories n workload

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT
 

landpork

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Care to share? Want to change career too. But the cost to study without subsidises are impossible

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

Hi Layers,

Scholarship availability and amount depends on the course you choose and school. As for mine; clean energy management in NP, the scholarship will be provided by BCA.

https://www.buildingcareers.gov.sg/...cholarship-and-Sponsorship-Programmes/Diploma

What career change you're looking at? And what make you feel like switching?
 

landpork

Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2006
Messages
120
Reaction score
0

Really appreciate your suggestion and links provided.

Most masters require prior education in related field. As for me, i took degree in Economics and Finance, totally not related to Clean Energy Management or even any engineering course. And as for those courses you suggested, the living cost in overseas, particularly in EU is huge. I dont think i will be able to afford.
 

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
16,912
Reaction score
0
Hi Layers,

Scholarship availability and amount depends on the course you choose and school. As for mine; clean energy management in NP, the scholarship will be provided by BCA.

https://www.buildingcareers.gov.sg/...cholarship-and-Sponsorship-Programmes/Diploma

What career change you're looking at? And what make you feel like switching?

the world is changing too fast. unlike our parents where 1 job or 1 skill can last a lifetime.

Honestly, uni studies although help me secure a higher pay job than a diploma, does not provide me with adequate knowledge and interests. God has been kind on me but I have rotten luck is studies decisions.

I took poly twice. choose a new course in Uni which ended up not specialize anything. ( kena coax by the course end up hard truth only the first class take the best). Age is not a kind factor while finding jobs :(

Truth I know to myself, I do not like engineering. At least the more traditional kind like electrical which I got myself into

If I would, i do like to change to something of interests, more stable, more professional.

I haven't try to spread out and get more choices.
Industry I have in mind is:
- healthcare, have chronic injuries, Warded in hospital before. Healthcare are amazing
- Data (a new industry) which i need to look into first
- Dealing with green and clean ( reminded by you :)) I recycle bottles and paper at home. just thought of it
- Air Traffic officer. Tough entry + my speech inst very good. need to has a very clear voice

I do my part for the environment, recycle if i can. Subject to parents approval. Tried to recycle milk carton, kena F upside down by my mum about wasting water, sad case.

clean energy management may end up as a facilities manager, which is abit sad cos i think you (or me) would really want to go to the green sector. But sure beats an engineer. But is sandwiched between tenants and owner.

Cost is an concern! The scholarship, does it restrict to 1st time poly goers? I notice alot of study loan only applies to tuition grant holders. you better check.

To be eligible for the scholarship or sponsorship, you must:

Be a Singapore Citizen, Singapore Permanment Resident or Foreigner
Enter with ITE or GCE ‘O’ level results or be a Polytechnic or BCA Academy student
Have outstanding academic results
Have excellent CCA records

I think you need to be accepted into the course first in order to get the scholarship. and scholarship is not 100% get so you run a risk of paying the full amount, not subsidies.

btw Will PM you. Please check your inbox
 
Last edited:

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Sometimes is the funding issue. Plus master may not get u job. If already have a degree. A diploma to get the Base know is gd enuff imo.

Honestly I learn way more In poly then in uni. Uni just stuff u with theories n workload

Sent from Sony E6853 using GAGT

well if you don't try how do you know you cannot secure aid?
You learn more in poly than uni.. which poly and uni did you go?
Uni just stuff u with workload and theory, isn't management stuff all like that?
Even in poly what practical take away one learn from biz management?
 

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
16,912
Reaction score
0
well if you don't try how do you know you cannot secure aid?
You learn more in poly than uni.. which poly and uni did you go?
Uni just stuff u with workload and theory, isn't management stuff all like that?
Even in poly what practical take away one learn from biz management?

You mean scholarship? yea need to check if any

I was studying Engineering, Engineering with just theories is.... TP>NTU
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
Really appreciate your suggestion and links provided.

Most masters require prior education in related field. As for me, i took degree in Economics and Finance, totally not related to Clean Energy Management or even any engineering course. And as for those courses you suggested, the living cost in overseas, particularly in EU is huge. I dont think i will be able to afford.

I didn't look deeply if they must be from related major.
Engineering yes, management degree in general not required.
One can do urban planning Bach and go on to read Econ!
Or math major to management masters/phd.

Cost wise, apply for aid! PRC not rich but dare to try...
think before researching into it, base on age old knowledge is frown upon for one who wish to setup own biz and learn? Keep an close mind isn't helping learning
 

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
23,202
Reaction score
80
You mean scholarship? yea need to check if any

I was studying Engineering, Engineering with just theories is.... TP>NTU

Local education fail you doesn't imply overseas education is the same way.

Aid come in many forms not just scholarships, well Singapore its limited to mainly bright ppl so ya
 

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
16,912
Reaction score
0
So my qns are:

1) Should I take diploma in Clean Energy Management in NP to build my foundation towards my ideal career path?

You may not end up in the clean energy sector

2) Is taking a diploma at my age too huge of a risk to take? (I'm 26 this year.)

I enter Uni at 27. not a problem. just what comes after.

3) What will your choice be if you were in my position?
Do something else if you do not like your current situation. But are your about becoming an engineer? or you want an management role?
 

Layers

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2004
Messages
16,912
Reaction score
0
Local education fail you doesn't imply overseas education is the same way.

Aid come in many forms not just scholarships, well Singapore its limited to mainly bright ppl so ya

kindly share some example to get funding?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top