Backing up of iPhone

PongRareRare

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
2,047
Reaction score
92
Anyone here uses external portable hard disk to back up your iPhone? Is it possible?
If not maybe just the photos? I tried to plug in my existing one, iPhone all read only, cannot write. Why ar?
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,322
Reaction score
6,583
Plug in your external hdd, select your photos and send to the external hdd.
 

PongRareRare

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
2,047
Reaction score
92
Ok, it works I guess but too much photo for the the phone to handle, it’ll auto shut down album hahaha
It’s 4 years worth after all. Maybe I should do some cleaning
 

Kunkka

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 12, 2013
Messages
67,986
Reaction score
22,655
I don't trust icloud anymore. Recently backup of my phone went missing after Screen spoiled cannot restore after. Going to go this method
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,276
Reaction score
12,286
I use Google Photos for photo backup and it works quite well for both iPhone and Android.

My wife has used up the storage for her older iPhones (iPhone 7+ 256GB, iPhone X 256GB) and her iPhone 14 512GB version is half full now.

Now paying S$80 per year (2 x 200G Google One subscriptions, using family share). If exceed the 400G quota, then need to pay S$140 for the 2TB tier.
https://one.google.com/about/plans?g1_landing_page=0

Standard
200 GB
SGD 39.99 / year
Billed annually

Premium
2 TB
SGD 139.99 / year
Billed annually. Save 16%.
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,276
Reaction score
12,286
If purely for iPhone/Mac, I tend to think iCloud is the way to go: S$3.98 per month for 200GB, S$13.98 per month for 2TB.

If need to have iPhone/Android/Windows/Mac compatibility, Google One may be the way to go. (S$40 per year for 200GB, S$140 per year for 2TB)

But if also need Office 365, then Microsoft 365 family may be a good option (S$148 per year, up to 6 x 1TB Onedrive storage). Office 365 personal is also good if you only need to have one user (up to 1TB Onedrive storage). Still I feel Onedrive is not the best app for photo backup.

My past study.
1) https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/how-do-you-backup-iphone-photo-video.5934523/
2) https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/threads/google-photos-file-syncing-and-alternatives.6438315/
 

niwde1980

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
501
Reaction score
11
I use Google Photos for photo backup and it works quite well for both iPhone and Android.

My wife has used up the storage for her older iPhones (iPhone 7+ 256GB, iPhone X 256GB) and her iPhone 14 512GB version is half full now.

Now paying S$80 per year (2 x 200G Google One subscriptions, using family share). If exceed the 400G quota, then need to pay S$140 for the 2TB tier.
https://one.google.com/about/plans?g1_landing_page=0

Standard
200 GB
SGD 39.99 / year
Billed annually

Premium
2 TB
SGD 139.99 / year
Billed annually. Save 16%.

Hi can I know how do you backup your apps or whatsapps message ? does the free 5gb icloud is enough ?
 

xiaofan

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2018
Messages
36,276
Reaction score
12,286
Hi can I know how do you backup your apps or whatsapps message ? does the free 5gb icloud is enough ?

We do not really backup WhatsApp as there is nothing critical. 5GB is probably not really enough for WhatsApp backup but you can try that first. You may have to ignore Video in the backup.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/481135090640375/?cms_platform=iphone&helpref=platform_switcher

If 5GB is not enough, I will suggest you to sign up iCloud as well, starting from 50GB at S$1.48 per month. That is in our plan as well.
 
Last edited:

PongRareRare

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2008
Messages
2,047
Reaction score
92
If you back up to iCloud, you can’t select what app you want to back up right? You need to back up your whole phone I thought

last time I wanted to back up just one app and signed up for the cheapest iCloud but wasn’t able to just back up that one app
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,288
Reaction score
5,867
If you back up to iCloud, you can’t select what app you want to back up right? You need to back up your whole phone I thought

last time I wanted to back up just one app and signed up for the cheapest iCloud but wasn’t able to just back up that one app
Can leh. Can control what you want to backup
 

szeli

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2003
Messages
21,478
Reaction score
3,162
If you back up to iCloud, you can’t select what app you want to back up right? You need to back up your whole phone I thought

last time I wanted to back up just one app and signed up for the cheapest iCloud but wasn’t able to just back up that one app
yes you can select. been that way since the start iirc
 

EastSider

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
2,100
Reaction score
24
We do not really backup WhatsApp as there is nothing critical. 5GB is probably not really enough for WhatsApp backup but you can try that first. You may have to ignore Video in the backup.
https://faq.whatsapp.com/481135090640375/?cms_platform=iphone&helpref=platform_switcher

If 5GB is not enough, I will suggest you to sign up iCloud as well, starting from 50GB at S$1.48 per month. That is in our plan as well.

You can also look at carousell for iCloud sellers , I gotten mine there and parked myself under family plan

cheaper rate than subscribing directly and can customised the amount of gb u will need
 

niwde1980

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2002
Messages
501
Reaction score
11
If you back up to iCloud, you can’t select what app you want to back up right? You need to back up your whole phone I thought

last time I wanted to back up just one app and signed up for the cheapest iCloud but wasn’t able to just back up that one app
the cheapest is 50gb ? not enough just to backup apps ? or did you select photos or others inside
 

endlssorrow

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2007
Messages
11,081
Reaction score
849
External Har disk can meh
yearsnago I buy that thumb drive iscanexpanable something

plug n transfer to thumb drive n then plug to laptop transfer to extrrnal hardiskconnected to laptop
 

Computeron

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
19,940
Reaction score
1,715
later I go back home try backup to my HDD

update... a... can leh just plug into iPhone can liao... no need pc/Mac
 
Last edited:

Mclairs83

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,958
Reaction score
2,568
You can also look at carousell for iCloud sellers , I gotten mine there and parked myself under family plan

cheaper rate than subscribing directly and can customised the amount of gb u will need
take note that icloud family is a shared space. all members can utilize whatever space they have..
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top