Backup for Work - SSD or external hard disk?

js_1189

Junior Member
Joined
May 29, 2015
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
Hi there, I need to switch between laptops frequently for work so I store my files in thumb drive but the files are getting way too big now, especially my outlook archive files. Would SSD be more suitable since I would be writing to disk many times a day? I usually just have my work files like word doc etc saved direct to my thumb drive. Appreciate any advice or suggestions. I wanted to buy an external hard disk but my friend suggested trying SSD which I'm not familiar with.
 

peterchan75

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 26, 2003
Messages
6,757
Reaction score
533
It depends on the storage capacity that you need.
>250GB then external HDD... get a 1TB ext HDD for <$100.
<250GB then external SSD... get a 250GB ext SSD for $200.
<128GB then USB3 flash drive.... 128GB thumb drive for $41.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
If for backup, I heard that it's better to use HDD. If the disk dies, the chance of recovering data from HDD is better. For SSD, the way data is stored is more complex. Furthermore, SSD has limited write cycles for the NAND. If you write and rewrite frequently, maybe will hit its limit fast. But should still last you 3 to 5 years minimum.
 

alamakazim

Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 3, 2013
Messages
8,130
Reaction score
400
If u are clumsy and you are always plugging in and out

I feel ssd better
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,830
Reaction score
1,777
if you are clumsy go for reliable ssd like... sandisk.

You can use recovery software on hdd but not ssd. so always have another backup

Or just buy a bigger thumbdrive
73qGXpA.png
 
Last edited:

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,695
Reaction score
525
Go for Sandisk Extreme Pro 128GB thumb drive at $93, extreme fast read/write without cable.
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
You're storing your data directly to the external device, be it ssd or hdd. You carry it everyday between home and office. A ssd will be more robust storage to take knocks and drops along the way.

BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY BACKUP.

Storing on external disk is not back up. Damage or loss of your external disk will result in loss of your important data which do not have a copy elsewhere.

Do consider it when buying your backup storage.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top