Beijing, Chengdu, or Shanghai?

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
Hi guys. This is quite an impromptu thread. I am planning for a TBC trip to either of the three cities; Beijing, Chengdu or Shanghai for a concert performance in late March. The last I traveled to China was to Shantou for my old folk's old kampung few years ago, and it was a packaged trip so I didn't have to plan much.

My idea is to probably go for a week +-, prefer eating and sightseeing over shopping. And because it is likely a solo trip, so I am looking at somewhere convenient to move by public transport (metro/bus), safe friendly environment, but yet not too slow pace until boring nothing to do or see.

Thanks peeps. :)
 

invigo79

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2008
Messages
65,959
Reaction score
11,434
Beijing got lots of things to see if you have never been there before.

Forbidden city, great wall, summer palace etc.

Never been to the other 2 cities so cannot comment.

Sent from Home using GAGT
 

idrinkecoke

Master Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2007
Messages
4,091
Reaction score
26
Is 2.4k sgd enough for solo trip to beijing - accommodation, air ticket, food and light shopping?
 

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2004
Messages
14,804
Reaction score
221
How long do you plan to be there? All 3 offer possibilities.
One week +-, 5-10 days maybe depending if there is much to do or not. If possible, I hope to stay at a single hotel spot then explore within the area.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT
 

beanstalk6

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
May 15, 2000
Messages
10,022
Reaction score
1,917
One week +-, 5-10 days maybe depending if there is much to do or not. If possible, I hope to stay at a single hotel spot then explore within the area.

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 4 using GAGT

Shanghai- With 5 days you can include a 2D/1N excursion.
Chengdu- With 5 days you can include a 2D/1N excursion.
Beijing- 5 days may not be enough if you are a history buff.
 

Garlic & Butter

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2010
Messages
7,214
Reaction score
204
Chengdu is quite affordable. Hotels, 3-4 star ones at most $60 max.
you should also try to do some trips out. I did a 3D2N trip to 黄龙 and 毕棚沟 for about RMB600 all-in with no shopping trips. 九寨沟 is still closed unfortunately.

Went a handful of attractions like the mask changing show.
food wise, a lot of hotpot/ steamboat and freshwater stuff. no seafood for sure. took some time to get used to the food there

spent 2 days in chengdu and 3 days joining the tour
total damage <$1200 due to exp airfare
airfare $650
hotels 5N $250
tour $120
 
Last edited:

guitar123

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
741
Reaction score
0
I've only been to Beijing and Shanghai, not been to Chengdu.

Beijing and Shanghai are very different.

My own view is Beijing is a must-go because of all the history and the Great Wall.

Mutianyu Great Wall.


Forbidden City. Watch the crowds. It can get super crowded.
 

g_t2006

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2008
Messages
5,272
Reaction score
728
Plenty to do in Shanghai and Beijing. No idea about Chengdu as I have never been there.

I typically spend less than S$$30 per day if I'm travelling by myself in China. This is excluding accommodation and attraction entry fees and shopping. S$30 will cover meals, snacks and public transport for a day.

If you find nothing to do in Shanghai and Beijing, you can always do day trips to Hangzhou, Suzhou, etc, from Shanghai and to Pingyao, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, etc from Beijing.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,797
Reaction score
3,596
Hi guys. This is quite an impromptu thread. I am planning for a TBC trip to either of the three cities; Beijing, Chengdu or Shanghai for a concert performance in late March. The last I traveled to China was to Shantou for my old folk's old kampung few years ago, and it was a packaged trip so I didn't have to plan much.

My idea is to probably go for a week +-, prefer eating and sightseeing over shopping. And because it is likely a solo trip, so I am looking at somewhere convenient to move by public transport (metro/bus), safe friendly environment, but yet not too slow pace until boring nothing to do or see.

Thanks peeps. :)

I usually get my flights into Beijing for around $500 or less. I just flew Air China in November for less than $500 with a side trip to Tokyo.

I just bought a $210 return flight on Scoot to Tianjin from Singapore. It's super easy and fast getting into Beijing from Tianjin by the High Speed Rail.

I flew Shanghai and Beijing on SQ for less than $500 a few years ago. I also flew MH return to Beijing for less than $300 2 years ago.

My last trip, went to the apparent start of the Great Wall, the Old Dragon Head!
35iai2q.jpg


2lbn7gm.jpg


March will still be a bit cold.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top