best cheap high-specs smartphone

agent007bond

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Hey guys :D Seeking your recommendations...

I'm thinking of getting a new smartphone in a few months, as my current S3 is starting to fall apart. Would prefer something well maintained by the company (in terms of updates), stable and reasonably popular.

I hope to find a new one without hurting my bottom-line. Hope to keep it under $400. LTE 4G data is a must. Battery life is important. Android 5 Lollipop will be a huge bonus. :s12:

I'm open to a large phone (4.7" to 5") or a small phablet (5" to 5.5"). I carry my phone in my pocket so it can't be too big. :o

Speculated or announced (coming soon) phones welcome too! I'm willing to wait a bit longer. :)

Do mention what's great about the phone you recommend! And what are the cons. :)
 

Pokémon

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
42,824
Reaction score
221
I'd recommend the Asus Zenfone 2 too. Hopefully it will be available in SG by Mar/Apr.



Check out some other hands-on videos on Youtube.
 

agent007bond

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Wow, looks damn good... hope there is choice between different models (why limit to one model per region?)... expected release next month :s12: I think should be around S$350 which is unbelievable for a phone with specs that good.

Any other brands/models?
 

RiceGrain

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
7,404
Reaction score
185
I am waiting for zenfone2 too...

meanwhile can consider zte, oneplusone, xiaomi..
 

8-lane

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
35,331
Reaction score
7,850
TS.. u dun mind whether it has local manufacturer warranty or not?
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Padfone is probably the best for its specs. Think hwz did a review on it you may want to check out.

The only con is that the battery is small so battery life isn't that good.
 

caterham7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,126
Reaction score
1,899

mokseng

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 23, 2013
Messages
30,890
Reaction score
27
Oneplusone is cheap for the specs if u dun care too much abt rom support. If redmi 2 specs is gd enough for u, go for it when the 2gb ram version comes out lor. No backlight for capacitive keys is totally fine for me, I disable mine anyway. =:p

Sent from my awesome phone using GAGT
 

agent007bond

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
if you are considering redmi 2, suggest to wait for 2gb/16gb version

note: no backlight for home, menu, back keys; same problem for zenfone 2

Thought it has the signature red backlight for the keys... anyway I had turned off the key backlight in my S3 the whole time so I'm used to it. As long as the keys work, no issue :s13:
 

agent007bond

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
476
Reaction score
0
Why does Xiaomi have so few products offered in Singapore? They have many products in China (their home base) but it's not available in mi.com/sg. I like their Mi Note or Mi Note Pro but the SG site only has Redmi Note 4G.

Can I order from China site? Will they ship here? Will it work with Singapore 4G networks?
 

caterham7

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,126
Reaction score
1,899
Why does Xiaomi have so few products offered in Singapore? They have many products in China (their home base) but it's not available in mi.com/sg. I like their Mi Note or Mi Note Pro but the SG site only has Redmi Note 4G.

Can I order from China site? Will they ship here? Will it work with Singapore 4G networks?
think they trying hard to fulfill demand in china market first

mi note is scheduled for q2 in singapore; i.e. april to june timing; mi note pro not yet confirmed

ordering from china; you need to be aware of the following
  1. no warranty
  2. network; doublecheck to ensure the correct version is purchased
  3. xiaomi tmall can accept singapore payment method, but may have to ship via "sensitive air" or "ship", due to battery
  4. xiaomi china website; need to use the "buyforme" service offered by some forwarders
  5. many fake xiaomi phones; safer to buy from official xiaomi china website or xiaomi tmall
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top