Best way to move Ringgit to SGD

Verbatin K

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2022
Messages
237
Reaction score
85
I have quite a bit of Ringgit at maybank JB branch.

can I go to Maybank JB branch and instruct them to send it to my Maybank Singapore branch?

What is the cheapest way to move this Ringgit to SGD other than physically carrying it over ?
 

GenerationX

Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2002
Messages
7,943
Reaction score
317
i guess most best for value is change with fellow users, be it here or elsewhere. if u go money changer or bank sure the spread will be wider. Just my two cents. Maybe see what other bros input. but why u dun wan to just use it? or maybe put in fd? why u want to draw out? now rm very low rate if change now i think u might be losing money on the exchange rate, since u mention u got quite a bit of rm
 

Verbatin K

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2022
Messages
237
Reaction score
85
i guess most best for value is change with fellow users, be it here or elsewhere. if u go money changer or bank sure the spread will be wider. Just my two cents. Maybe see what other bros input. but why u dun wan to just use it? or maybe put in fd? why u want to draw out? now rm very low rate if change now i think u might be losing money on the exchange rate, since u mention u got quite a bit of rm
I do use it it when I head over to Malaysia but I hardly go there. I have put some at FD and some into bursa stock.

I didn’t want to change but my mum ask me to exchange some of it back to SGD for her to spend šŸ˜€. The money is from my late dad so I am just helping to manage for my mum
 
Last edited:

yotoden

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
1,130
Reaction score
100
I used Wise to do this before, might not be the cheapest but should be the easiest and safest.
No point to waste time changing with individual.
 

Verbatin K

Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2022
Messages
237
Reaction score
85
I used Wise to do this before, might not be the cheapest but should be the easiest and safest.
No point to waste time changing with individual.
TransferWise is to move SGD to overseas. How do I move from overseas to SGD with wise?
 
Last edited:

yotoden

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
1,130
Reaction score
100
Select to transfer from MYR to SGD. wise will give you a Malaysia bank account for you to transfer the MYR to it.

i can’t remember the details, as I did this while the Ringgit was stil 3-1.
 

0218crawford

Master Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
2,576
I have quite a bit of Ringgit at maybank JB branch.

can I go to Maybank JB branch and instruct them to send it to my Maybank Singapore branch?

What is the cheapest way to move this Ringgit to SGD other than physically carrying it over ?
CIMB MY to CIMB SG best. no fees. the exchange rates also not bad. i think daily limit is RM50K.
 

zi

Master Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2000
Messages
3,844
Reaction score
1,735
I can't remember how I did it. Been quite a while before covid.

But I did so at Maybank raffles place. Maybe you can call and ask too.
 

zeroX26

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2011
Messages
6,051
Reaction score
3,017
I have quite a bit of Ringgit at maybank JB branch.

can I go to Maybank JB branch and instruct them to send it to my Maybank Singapore branch?

What is the cheapest way to move this Ringgit to SGD other than physically carrying it over ?
Top up your Revolut with your RM, then convert to SGD b4 withdrawing it into a SG account?
 

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
I have quite a bit of Ringgit at maybank JB branch.

can I go to Maybank JB branch and instruct them to send it to my Maybank Singapore branch?

What is the cheapest way to move this Ringgit to SGD other than physically carrying it over ?
Easiest is to log in, if you have internet banking, and perform a fast transfer like what you do for banking transfers in Sg. However, not sure whether Maybank My impose bank charges for first transfer.

One way is to sell to me at mid buying and selling rate as advertised by money changer.
 

sohguanh

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2010
Messages
9,554
Reaction score
3,238
I have quite a bit of Ringgit at maybank JB branch.

can I go to Maybank JB branch and instruct them to send it to my Maybank Singapore branch?

What is the cheapest way to move this Ringgit to SGD other than physically carrying it over ?
Readers have shared for purely banking use CIMB MY <-> CIMB SG. It is so good then think last year CIMB system crash and the formal statement is too many JHK customers keep checking the exchange rate. So if so many JHK do that you can be sure the rates are very good indeed.

Even in lowyat forum (JHK forums) this method is shared openly. But first you need to open two accounts MY and SG side. Some enterprising JHK help ppl do the transfer by getting a small fee for the effort using his account. Reason is some cannot open successfully CIMB SG or MY side. This is confirm banned once kena caught. But we know JHK all very daring compared to Sporeans.
 

CaptainWu

Senior Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
237
Top up your Revolut with your RM, then convert to SGD b4 withdrawing it into a SG account?
Is that possible to top up Revolut with RM? I don't think Revolut supports top-up with foreign currency?
 

CaptainWu

Senior Member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
237
CIMB MY to CIMB SG best. no fees. the exchange rates also not bad. i think daily limit is RM50K.
Last I checked CIMB SG to MY rate is good but not the other way round. Wise even better for MY to SG. Have you done this recently as not sure if there are changes?
 

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
28,341
Reaction score
2,460
SGD to Ringgit : CIMB clicks
RM to SGD : Wise

I transferred quite many rounds.

Data as of 21 Sep 314 PM:
CIMB : 30010 RM = 8611.78 SGD
WIse : 30000 RM = 8683.82 SGD
 

0218crawford

Master Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
2,576
Yep. agree rates not the best from MY to SG for CIMB.
but i like that the transfer can be done with just a few clicks within the bank via desktop and not via a 3rd party.
will prolly check out WISE due to attractive rates
 

hwsstx

Master Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
4,823
Reaction score
3,537
Yep. agree rates not the best from MY to SG for CIMB.
but i like that the transfer can be done with just a few clicks within the bank via desktop and not via a 3rd party.
will prolly check out WISE due to attractive rates
Will IRAS be "curious"?

I'm aware the current billions laundering didn't trigger IRAS.
 

0218crawford

Master Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
3,994
Reaction score
2,576
SGD to Ringgit : CIMB clicks
RM to SGD : Wise

I transferred quite many rounds.

Data as of 21 Sep 314 PM:
CIMB : 30010 RM = 8611.78 SGD
WIse : 30000 RM = 8683.82 SGD

compared to latest numbers...how MY has depreciated since. :( in any case, WISE rates are indeed better than CIMB.
sending-money-through-WISE.jpg
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top