BIOS time rests to GMT + 0 issue

Shahmatt

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
48
I recently converted my old Sandy Bridge PC to an UNRAID server. The mobo it is using is a Biostar TZ68 A+. In order to save power I set it to sleep at night and wake in the morning. Server goes into S3 sleep mode at 11pm (after 30 mins of array inactivity), and is supposed to wake (as setup in BIOS) in the morning.

The problem is that I can't seem to wake the PC. There are two problems:

The first is the BIOS time keeps resetting from GMT+8 to GMT+0. Date and day remain correct so it's not a CMOS battery issue. I am not sure why this happens but I guess UNRAID is trying to set BIOS clock incorrectly. But UNRAID clock seems to work fine and matches GMT+8.

The second is I tried adjusting the wake time by minus 8 hours, but still it would not wake. Any reason why PC may not start from sleep even after BIOS is correctly set?
 

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,883
Reaction score
4,893
I recently converted my old Sandy Bridge PC to an UNRAID server. The mobo it is using is a Biostar TZ68 A+. In order to save power I set it to sleep at night and wake in the morning. Server goes into S3 sleep mode at 11pm (after 30 mins of array inactivity), and is supposed to wake (as setup in BIOS) in the morning.

The problem is that I can't seem to wake the PC. There are two problems:

The first is the BIOS time keeps resetting from GMT+8 to GMT+0. Date and day remain correct so it's not a CMOS battery issue. I am not sure why this happens but I guess UNRAID is trying to set BIOS clock incorrectly. But UNRAID clock seems to work fine and matches GMT+8.

The second is I tried adjusting the wake time by minus 8 hours, but still it would not wake. Any reason why PC may not start from sleep even after BIOS is correctly set?
The GUI could be set to GMT +8, but check the command line. What does the command line (eg, using timedatectl or other equivalent) give you for the timezone?
 

Shahmatt

Master Member
Joined
Oct 2, 2006
Messages
2,532
Reaction score
48
The GUI could be set to GMT +8, but check the command line. What does the command line (eg, using timedatectl or other equivalent) give you for the timezone?
Thanks for this suggestion. Maybe the GUI is showing something different from what is in the command line.

Not sure how to check this but will try to search for the answer/ask unraid support.
 

hlots123

Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2006
Messages
5,207
Reaction score
11

firesong

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
8,883
Reaction score
4,893
Thanks for this suggestion. Maybe the GUI is showing something different from what is in the command line.

Not sure how to check this but will try to search for the answer/ask unraid support.
Good chance that's the case. You can either make the OS adjust itself relative to UTC (GMT +0) or you can set the timezone so the OS follows system timezone. Windows can also be configured to display time relative to UTC while leaving system at UTC, hence BIOS clock is 8h behind.

By default, Linux does UTC. Can be an issue because it also resets the BIOS to UTC.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top