Book Swapping in Singapore

pepperfox

Reaction score
1393674_738967549451675_1457489757_n.jpg

this is a snapshot of survey results after the launch for 24hrs, over a sample size of 322 votes. Survey was done to find out if readers in Singapore are keen to swap books with other readers. Up to 46% of readers are willing to swap books, with another group of ppl of 30% of readers who would like to swap back their books. A very small majority (7%) of readers are willing to give their books for free.

Do participate in this survey and let your voice be heard! Free Book Swap in Singapore~! | BooksAvenue

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do swapping work? It's like the old bartering system, where a double coincidence of wants must be present. It's well for someone to say he's willing to swap, but for a successful swap to take place, you must have the book that the other person wants, and the other person must have the book that you want. It's hard and not very efficient, imo.

jeffyen2

Reaction score
Do swapping work? It's like the old bartering system, where a double coincidence of wants must be present. It's well for someone to say he's willing to swap, but for a successful swap to take place, you must have the book that the other person wants, and the other person must have the book that you want. It's hard and not very efficient, imo.

I think the whole point is that it's not supposed to be efficient in the usual sense. It's supposed to be about serendipity... about fleeting connections, and the magic that happens when you let the universe decides what book you're getting!

jonchong

Reaction score
i think there will still be a market altho shrinking nowadays (for hard copy books)

hnzfaz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think the whole point is that it's not supposed to be efficient in the usual sense. It's supposed to be about serendipity... about fleeting connections, and the magic that happens when you let the universe decides what book you're getting!

I can see that it's possible for a small community of book lovers to come together to trade a particular genre of books. For many readers, I suspect, they want to read a particular book and not really want to read anything interesting that comes along. I think if it weren't for the sense of being part of a community, second hand bookstores serve the purpose better. :)

pepperfox

Reaction score
was reading all the responses. great insights and good points written.

It is indeed a barter system whereby book A is exchanged with Book B.

I intend to enhance and facilitate it by creating a page for all readers to post what books they are holding for trade. It does not have be posting one book only.

John, for example, can post a list of books he is willing to trade. Peter comes along, and he likes a title of nicholas Sparks which john is holding. Peter contacts John and they arrange to meet.

It is right that many readers are looking for specific titles. True that second hand bookstores serve this purpose, but online blogshop for books such as BooksAvenue can help to source and search more efficiently. Just crt + F and search the title at booksavenue

Also, there is a price discrepancy at those 2nd hand bookstores. I have seen the same title going at different prices ranging from S$8 to S$16 at the same bras brash area in different stores at the different levels. hence you notice my price is very simple and straight forward fiction books = S$10. older books as in physically older books S$5. I intend to keep it that way and do not want to change it.

Hope book swapping will be a success for BooksAvenue! Afterall, it is a free service to help ppl look for books to trade. :)

Last edited:

expositox

Reaction score
Got an idea,... Perhaps, if you can somehow find space, someone can swap their book for a coupon, which can be held on to until a book they desire is available for swapping, and swap using the coupon. Naturally, this will require a middleman who is willing to go through all this trouble, which may not be feasible afterall.
Just throwing out the idea!

pepperfox

Reaction score
i think right now more importantly is to garner traffic first. once we have that, anything can happen ^ ^

hope to get your support! Support us by LIKE-ing our page on Facebook! :D

pepperfox

Reaction score
Survey results after 72 hours after launch. Seems like book swapping is really promising!

Survey sample of 1134.

Now the question is, to set up an online forum, piggy back on social media platforms, or to make a simple but effective one on the existing booksavenuesg.wordpress.com

Vote here if you haven't: Free Book Swap in Singapore~! | BooksAvenue

1390463_740817769266653_144541406_n.jpg

pepperfox

Reaction score
Attached is the survey results after 3 days. Sample size 1185.

Survey has now unofficially ended. We have sufficient results to take Booksavenue to another level.

Thank you all for your warm participation! Look out this Friday for addition to the site: BooksAvenue | Singapore Blog Shop for books

P.S. Yea we did say survey has ended unofficially. Which also means you can still vote if you want to. ^ ^

993439_741535812528182_1550251599_n.jpg

pepperfox

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Book Swap | BooksAvenue

and so we started. It is a humble page where swappers can exchange info by commenting on the page.

Feel free to use it. You can post a list of things to swap, not just one. All we hope is you post it in the right sections so it will be convenient to all.

Hope that this will help facilitate swappers.

We have plans to start a forum once we get get 1000 followers. Or is it too many? :s8:

For now, we keep it simple but there are more to come.

Feel free to swap. It is FREE and will be that way always. we promise. :D

jonchong

Reaction score
Thanks, great service and idea ;)

Hi guys,

Book Swap | BooksAvenue

and so we started. It is a humble page where swappers can exchange info by commenting on the page.

Feel free to use it. You can post a list of things to swap, not just one. All we hope is you post it in the right sections so it will be convenient to all.

Hope that this will help facilitate swappers.

We have plans to start a forum once we get get 1000 followers. Or is it too many? :s8:

For now, we keep it simple but there are more to come.

Feel free to swap. It is FREE and will be that way always. we promise. :D

pepperfox

Reaction score
Thanks, great service and idea ;)

Book Swap | BooksAvenue

Morning all,

Thank you all for support! Some quick updates...

Maxis says:
09/11/2013 at 12:50 am (Edit)
Hi hi

I have Dear John by Nicholas Sparks
S4 The Longest Run, Nicholas Sparks

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1465227_744458758902554_165871070_n.jpg

In another news, GTA V S4 Battlefield 4

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1461079_744460565569040_237656205_n.jpg

Happy swapping Swappers!:s12:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.