Budget DIY rig for Image/Video Editing - Feedback?

CmdrShepard

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi All,

Planning to DIY a PC again after a long long while(been using different laptops for the years in between). Hoping to get some advice from the resident forum experts :)

Usage
Mostly content creation rather than gaming. Relatively serious usage but not for professional jobs. Other than Microsoft office suite; Video Editing at least 1080 HD footage (Software type flexible can use either Premiere or Resolve), Image editing/design with Adobe Photoshop type sw, not too complicated Aftereffects, Intermediate 3D/CAD design & animation.

Other Comments
Looking for the most value for money(ideally below 1k sgd) combination that would do the above-mentioned job(s) without any major issues. Don't mind waiting longer for rendering times(no tight deadlines) but when editing/rotating/scrubbing hope that it won't be too jerky. Do understand that "you get what you pay for", but don't really want to spend too much on a GPU unnecessarily in the current crypto-craze climate. Secretly hoping to ride it out with a basic configuration for a few years then get a better one later.

Intended GiamSiap Budget Setup
  • APU: AMD Ryzen 5 2400G (-No dedicated Graphics Card-)
  • MB: MSI B350M
  • RAM: 1x 8GB Klevv DDR 2666mhz
  • D1: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB SSD
  • D2: Toshiba 1TB
  • PSU: 450W 230V

Has anyone used a similar configuration before for doing similar image/video editing? Welcome any feedback(critical or otherwise), thanks!

I originally thought of getting the setup below but it would cost approx 300-400 more sgd.
Alternative (sound good but more expensive) setup
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: GTX 1060 6GB / 1050TI 4GB
  • RAM: 2x 8GB Klevv DDR 2666mhz
  • D1: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB SSD
  • D2: Toshiba 1TB
  • PSU: 450W 230V
 
Last edited:

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2015
Messages
16,609
Reaction score
577
Not sure video editing can do without GPU or not.

Previously i relied solely on CPU during conversion and etc really slow.

Slot a 1060 and everything changes for the better.. maybe is my problem not sure.
 

Alexls

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2015
Messages
559
Reaction score
0
for cpu, wait zen 2 and get ryzen 3300
gpu get a used 1060 3gb

i bought one that day for like 120 only
 

CmdrShepard

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Thanks both for your input.

@Alexis
Hmm 2nd hand cards is an interesting alternative. Could you share where you got it from? Or where would be a good place to start looking for one?

Think I left out one other important piece of information which is that I need this PC rather urgently for some projects (and my laptop is now close to being unusable) so I don't think can wait for the new zen 2 releases. Also wondering.. won't they be kind of expensive as new products?

@batniss
I was hoping the integrated graphics in the APU would help with the load.. can't seem to find as much reviews on the 2400g regarding productivity/video work, most information I see(even on HWZ) is regarding gaming. That's why was hoping if someone else has used the 2200g/2400g for non-gaming purposes has some experiences to share :)

New thought that crossed my mind:
If I need to get PC urgently; Would it be silly(or problematic) to get a setup now with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and some super basic GPU like GT710 just to 'hold' until I find a good deal for a more suitable GPU (like 1060 6gb/1070) in the future?
 

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2015
Messages
16,609
Reaction score
577
Thanks both for your input.

@Alexis
Hmm 2nd hand cards is an interesting alternative. Could you share where you got it from? Or where would be a good place to start looking for one?

Think I left out one other important piece of information which is that I need this PC rather urgently for some projects (and my laptop is now close to being unusable) so I don't think can wait for the new zen 2 releases. Also wondering.. won't they be kind of expensive as new products?

@batniss
I was hoping the integrated graphics in the APU would help with the load.. can't seem to find as much reviews on the 2400g regarding productivity/video work, most information I see(even on HWZ) is regarding gaming. That's why was hoping if someone else has used the 2200g/2400g for non-gaming purposes has some experiences to share :)

New thought that crossed my mind:
If I need to get PC urgently; Would it be silly(or problematic) to get a setup now with AMD Ryzen 5 2600 and some super basic GPU like GT710 just to 'hold' until I find a good deal for a more suitable GPU (like 1060 6gb/1070) in the future?

Go Carousell and get a used 1060.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2018
Messages
146
Reaction score
16
Go search for:
  1. second-hand dual Xeon boards
  2. two second hand Xeon E5-26xx v1 or v2 processors
  3. compatible DDR3 ECC RAM for the aforementioned board (server boards are extremely fussy about RAM, no such thing as inserting any tom, dick or harry ram like consumer trash)

Costs about the same as a brand new system with consumer trash hardware but much more powerful.
 

yusoffb01

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2008
Messages
16,845
Reaction score
1,784
This comment is full of trash, can ignore.

Go search for:
  1. second-hand dual Xeon boards
  2. two second hand Xeon E5-26xx v1 or v2 processors
  3. compatible DDR3 ECC RAM for the aforementioned board (server boards are extremely fussy about RAM, no such thing as inserting any tom, dick or harry ram like consumer trash)

Costs about the same as a brand new system with consumer trash hardware but much more powerful.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2018
Messages
146
Reaction score
16
This comment is full of trash, can ignore.

Only consumer morons think their single processor junk with 32GB memory that costs $1.5k can outperform a $2.5k machine with second-hand dual Xeons and 256GB of ECC RAM.
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Wonder which banned main acct does he belong to. But confirm this account soon to be banned as well.
 

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
Wonder which banned main acct does he belong to. But confirm this account soon to be banned as well.
could also be someone trying to sell not-consumer-trash (emphasis not mine) parts on <insert random c2c site here> :s13:



@op for your GiamSiap build, ideally get 16gb memory at least bah
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2018
Messages
146
Reaction score
16
could also be someone trying to sell not-consumer-trash (emphasis not mine) parts on <insert random c2c site here> :s13:

Hah! I wish. Just an average lunatic who saved like mad for a used dual Xeon workstation. :s13:

Ok lah, trolling over. Was fun though.
 

dryteletubby

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2017
Messages
2,302
Reaction score
1
Used servers can give you much more bang for the buck under certain use cases compared to new PCs.

I once setup a 8 core 64GB ram hypervisor for my friends for under $800.

For photo editing work which requires a GPU those old servers may not be as sutable.
 

CmdrShepard

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Go Carousell and get a used 1060.
You mean the 3b version? I see 6gb ones on Carousell all selling at prices closer to 250-300sgd... Like not that much cheaper than new ones.. Total like will still break my budget of 1k
 
Last edited:

Ferolare

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
48,329
Reaction score
144
Thanks for the interesting article. Are you referring to future proofing for coding/encoding/rendering? I thought the 2200g/2400g are already supported to run H.264/HEDV smoothly.
yeah amd raven ridge apu supports those formats

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Core_Next

(does not apply to linux browser hwdec still - take note of this if you need to be on linux)
 
Last edited:

CmdrShepard

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2019
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
could also be someone trying to sell not-consumer-trash (emphasis not mine) parts on <insert random c2c site here> :s13:



@op for your GiamSiap build, ideally get 16gb memory at least bah
Hmm thanks for the suggestion. I see you have a build with similar Ryzen APU specs. :) Have you faced any issues when doing stuff like animation/video editing or 3d design? Is there a bottleneck with the RAM or VRAM?

I don't need the editing experience to be blazingly fast, just smooth enough such that I won't tear my hair out when doing things like scrubbing or dealing with slightly more complicated models/layers. I don't even mind waiting for a little longer for stuff to render while I go do something else.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top