Building a New High End Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MindReality

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I am looking to build a high end Desktop PC.

I want the best quality I can for my needs without overspending unnecessarily. I’m thinking that the total amount would be $2000 to $4000?

I am using the PC for work and for games.

I do not overclock the PC.

I will be using wired connection I'm using a Gigabit Ethernet NIC currently.

I want a PC case that is not too big or too tall.

I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

Should I get SSD for Operating System and SATA for data storage?

These are the other components I’m thinking of getting:

G.Skill DDR3 2400 CL 11 (32GB Kit) 8GB x 4 [Ripjaws-X] F3-2400C10Q-32GXM - [S$519.00]

Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB SATA3 WD4001FAEX - [S$354.00]

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA III - [S$179.00]

Asus Geforce GTX780 3GB GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 - [S$785.00]

LG 24x DVDRW GH24NS50 - [S$28.00]

Which motherboards do you think are the best choices for my combination?

What power supply should I use?

What CPU cooler should I use?

What casing should I get, and what fan should I use? My current casing is about 43cm high 49cm long and 19cm wide. It has 2 USB port in front and 4 USB ports behind.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

Should I get SSD for Operating System and SATA for data storage?

An i3 with an SSD can handle web browsers just as well as a 4960X. What CPU you use doesn't matter. What type of drive you use for the OS does. Stick to LGA1150 CPU since you're not doing any professional photo/video editing work and won't benefit from paying more for LGA2011 CPU

As for drive configuration, yes you're right SSD for OS, HDD for everything else. Like this;

25fugcg.png
 

Alternative X

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2014
Messages
2,322
Reaction score
0
1) Define work. List down all the programs and games that you will be using with this rig and the level of usage.

2) Define not too big and too tall. ATX? M-ATX? ITX?

3) Unless you overclock, you will gain no additional benefits from using a K-processor. Use a non-K processor. Socket 2011 processors are very expensive. Why do you need a Intel Xeon processor?

4) Yes, you should get a SSD to contain a OS as improvements from using SSDs are more obvious than improvements from improving the processor.

5) If you are using a SSD, the 10000 RPM WD Black will be overkill for your needs as the HDD in question will most likely be used for storage. Why do you need a 4TB HDD anyway?

6) If possible, please state the model of your casing or the OEM model used if you are currently using one.( Post a picture of your case if you have some difficulty describing your casing.)

7) A PSU will be recommended after an optimal build is finalised.

8) What NIC would you prefer? Realtek? Atheros? Intel?

9) The amount of RAM in the system has a greater effect on the system's ability to multitask than the processor used.

10) Do you need a keyboard, monitor, mice and OS?

11) State the specifications and parts in your old rig.
 
Last edited:

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
26,900
Reaction score
14
I am using the PC for work and for games.

I do not overclock the PC.

I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

G.Skill DDR3 2400 CL 11 (32GB Kit) 8GB x 4 [Ripjaws-X] F3-2400C10Q-32GXM

Errm.. you can be a lot better off with a 4970k and a high end z97 board as 4970k can 'pawn' lga2011 cpus in gaming. Unless you are doing the below, no point getting a x79 chipset mobo and cpu. You are over burning money in more cores and a lot more threads if your work does not involve professional video editing/calculation of scientific formula. If you do not intend to oc, you can go for the non k variant of the 4790. I am having a hard time trying to use up to 70% of my ram even when I multitask. Your rig will not be faster with more ram @.@- it simply does not work that way, unless you are into the aesthetic of filling up 8-dimm slots.

q2yJNOe.jpg
 
Last edited:

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
A stab in the blind lol

CPU + Mobo: i7 4790K + Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H - $675
CPU cooler: Noctua NH-L12 - $90 (no OC)
RAM: G.Skill Ripjawz 2133MHz 16GB kit - $235
SSD: Intel 730 240GB - $240
HDD: WD SE 4TB - $350
ODD: Any brand DVD - $25
PSU: Seasonic X-650 Gold - $165
Casing: Fractal Define R4 - $145
Monitor: Dell U2713HM - $745

Total: $2670 :s13:
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
I am looking to build a high end Desktop PC.

I want the best quality I can for my needs without overspending unnecessarily. I’m thinking that the total amount would be $2000 to $4000?

I am using the PC for work and for games.

I do not overclock the PC.

I will be using wired connection I'm using a Gigabit Ethernet NIC currently.

I want a PC case that is not too big or too tall.

I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

Should I get SSD for Operating System and SATA for data storage?

These are the other components I’m thinking of getting:

G.Skill DDR3 2400 CL 11 (32GB Kit) 8GB x 4 [Ripjaws-X] F3-2400C10Q-32GXM - [S$519.00]

Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB SATA3 WD4001FAEX - [S$354.00]

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA III - [S$179.00]

Asus Geforce GTX780 3GB GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 - [S$785.00]

LG 24x DVDRW GH24NS50 - [S$28.00]

Which motherboards do you think are the best choices for my combination?

What power supply should I use?

What CPU cooler should I use?

What casing should I get, and what fan should I use? My current casing is about 43cm high 49cm long and 19cm wide. It has 2 USB port in front and 4 USB ports behind.

TS you got to understand something.

In a PC world, paying more does not mean better/durable/or futureproofing.

You need to do more research on whats the difference between an i3/i5/i7 and i7 extreme aka LGA2011

You will also need to research more on whats the difference between H81, B85, H87, Z87, H97, Z97.

You will also need to know whether do you need more rams. Rams are expensive as we speak, whether do you need that amount of ram is depends on what you need to use it for.

With the allocated budget yes you will need a SSD for OS. Storage wise you can take WD Blue, Red or Purple. No need to go till black.

Go see more benchmarks on gamings with all the graphics cards. The GPU that would be needed will depend on what games you wanna play. Monitor that you gonna use. The resolution you wish to play at, the desire graphics quality when gaming. Last but not least the monitor refreshing rate. DOn't just jump the gun and say you want to buy a 780.
 

bagger 288

Suspended
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
7,286
Reaction score
27
TS you got to understand something.

In a PC world, paying more does not mean better/durable/or futureproofing.

You need to do more research on whats the difference between an i3/i5/i7 and i7 extreme aka LGA2011

You will also need to research more on whats the difference between H81, B85, H87, Z87, H97, Z97.

You will also need to know whether do you need more rams. Rams are expensive as we speak, whether do you need that amount of ram is depends on what you need to use it for.

With the allocated budget yes you will need a SSD for OS. Storage wise you can take WD Blue, Red or Purple. No need to go till black.

Go see more benchmarks on gamings with all the graphics cards. The GPU that would be needed will depend on what games you wanna play. Monitor that you gonna use. The resolution you wish to play at, the desire graphics quality when gaming. Last but not least the monitor refreshing rate. DOn't just jump the gun and say you want to buy a 780.

Sometime we have to understand.

There're people that to them as long as within budget will do. Tech stuffs second.
I have a friend also hoot i7 4790k but to watch youtube and surf net.
No choice, his father gave him 5k to buy a high end desktop PC.
 

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2013
Messages
26,900
Reaction score
14
Sometime we have to understand.

There're people that to them as long as within budget will do. Tech stuffs second.
I have a friend also hoot i7 4790k but to watch youtube and surf net.
No choice, his father gave him 5k to buy a high end desktop PC.

I want to swap rig with your friend lol.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
Sometime we have to understand.

There're people that to them as long as within budget will do. Tech stuffs second.
I have a friend also hoot i7 4790k but to watch youtube and surf net.
No choice, his father gave him 5k to buy a high end desktop PC.

Your friend is Jaycee Chan ah? :s13:
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Sometime we have to understand.

There're people that to them as long as within budget will do. Tech stuffs second.
I have a friend also hoot i7 4790k but to watch youtube and surf net.
No choice, his father gave him 5k to buy a high end desktop PC.

Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.
 

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
13,167
Reaction score
1,309
Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.

best post of the night :o
 

JustAnotherTroll

Master Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2009
Messages
3,249
Reaction score
235
Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.

+1.

every time i hear a friend list his/her requirements, confirm got a "i want a i7", or "har, why i5 only".

in office also, when change computer :s22:
 

Piezoq

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2010
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
0
I am looking to build a high end Desktop PC.

I want the best quality I can for my needs without overspending unnecessarily. I’m thinking that the total amount would be $2000 to $4000?

I am using the PC for work and for games.

I do not overclock the PC.

I will be using wired connection I'm using a Gigabit Ethernet NIC currently.

I want a PC case that is not too big or too tall.

I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

Should I get SSD for Operating System and SATA for data storage?

These are the other components I’m thinking of getting:

G.Skill DDR3 2400 CL 11 (32GB Kit) 8GB x 4 [Ripjaws-X] F3-2400C10Q-32GXM - [S$519.00]

Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB SATA3 WD4001FAEX - [S$354.00]

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA III - [S$179.00]

Asus Geforce GTX780 3GB GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 - [S$785.00]

LG 24x DVDRW GH24NS50 - [S$28.00]

Which motherboards do you think are the best choices for my combination?

What power supply should I use?

What CPU cooler should I use?

What casing should I get, and what fan should I use? My current casing is about 43cm high 49cm long and 19cm wide. It has 2 USB port in front and 4 USB ports behind.

Weird choice of parts.

If you do not OC, consider the 4790 (without the k), asus h97 (or z97 if you need certain features on the MB), 4x 1333 or 1600 4GB or 8GB memory sticks, seasonic >500W PSU (Platinum or Gold), Sapphire Vapor-X R7 GPU, Samsung 840 120GB SSD, WD 4TB blue HDD.

Casing can consider Fractal Design R4 or a Lian-Li casing. You can go smaller with a mATX or ITX form factor.

CPU cooler... any tower config with a 120mm fan is sufficient. If you'd like to splurge, Noctua is a good choice. Forget liquid cooling. It's noisier than air.

You can build this beast for less than 2k. Spend the rest on a nice monitor, speakers/headphones, soundcard/DAC or stuff that catch your fancy.

Note that the more powerful a machine (esp. the GPU), the more heat and noise you'll have to live with.
 
Last edited:

KingJio

Master Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2010
Messages
3,833
Reaction score
0
Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.

I like this. Well said.

Tbh if i were ts and i have 3k i would go for an i5 and put the rest of the money into getting a top end gfx card and a 1440p monitor or do a multi monitor setup
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
I like this. Well said.

Tbh if i were ts and i have 3k i would go for an i5 and put the rest of the money into getting a top end gfx card and a 1440p monitor or do a multi monitor setup

I think still gt enough to throw in decent speakers, mech kb and decent mouse.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.

If every consumers become enlightened, those branded PC makers cannot chop carrot lah. Their gaming PCs config usually Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM with entry level graphics card. :s11: They say until GT630 or GT640 like got dragon got tiger.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
If every consumers become enlightened, those branded PC makers cannot chop carrot lah. Their gaming PCs config usually Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM with entry level graphics card. :s11: They say until GT630 or GT640 like got dragon got tiger.

Well, those uncle, aunites, ginna pi wun b easily enlightened de.
 

bagger 288

Suspended
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
7,286
Reaction score
27
Bro. I understand. But people come here being misled at start and we are here to guide them instead.

How many people out there walking in IT shows with so many promoters telling their customers that as long for gaming must go i7?

We are here as a hardware community and i wish that what people look here in hwc will learn something before they do their purchase.

Of cause money to throw is one thing. Buying something for their own needs is another.

Ok.

This is not what I need but what I want :s13:

CPU + Mobo: i7 4790K + Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 - 700
CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i CPU Cooler - 145
RAM: G.Skill Ripjawz 2400MHz 16GB kit - $250
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro -290
HDD: WD Red 2TB - 126
PSU: Corsair HX1000i -$285 to $300???
Casing: Fractal Arc XL - $189
GPU: Asus GTX780Ti DCII OC 3GB - $1050
Ah Beng led light strip - $50

Total $3100.
 

MindReality

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2006
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
Thank you all!

Ark Law, I notice that your SSD is almost full, only 7.47GB left? What is stored on it? Does the OS alone take up that much space?

What SSD size should I get?

Alternative X, I would be using the computer to play Dota 2. But I would like to be prepared for other games as well.

My work entails opening multiple browsers and webpages at the same time, and playing videos, etc.

I will be using Windows 7 64bit Professional, and I have my own mouse, keyboard. I'll be using 21.5 inch E-line Philips 227E4QHA monitor.

My current motherboard is Gigabyte S-series Ultra Durable 2 P35C-DS3R. Is that ATX? M-ATX? ITX?

Since I am not overclocking, I guess I should get the Intel Core i7 4790 3.6GHz then?

I think I should get Intel Ethernet since it gives lower ping in games than Realtek right? And it should have Gigabit right?

What motherboard should I get for these? Asus or Gigabyte?

I want parts that are durable and will last for a long time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top