Building a New High End Desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeForce

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2013
Messages
1,711
Reaction score
25
TS, I only recommend you go to THE ONLY trusted shop in SLS: Scorpia Pro Shop.

All professional staff, please do not bother with other shops as they're all just ah beng waiting like sharks to bait your wallet dip dip. Take my advice and build your DIY PC there

Enter there with $4K, come out with a $1k system :D
 

Airekris

Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2012
Messages
336
Reaction score
0
4kSgd I can build a just for kicks system lor. Can get the Asus m7f + 4790k with 2 780ti and still got money for other peripherals lol...
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Lol scorpio the 1 stop shop to poke a big hole in your pocket.

Don't you dare talk bad about them! :mad:

They're the best and most professional people you can find in SLS, even better than that YiLong guy. Their prices are also better than Tradepac I tell you.

Typical sinkie, always like to anyhow run mouth without knowing the proper facts!

[/s] :crazy:
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
Hi TS, just some general comments based on your initial questions. Not going to judge you and I give you the benefit of doubt that you really need Core i7 for certain confidential usage involving some intensive processing or computation.

I'm not going to point out specifically what parts to go for, or dictate to you whether to build a high-end or mainstream PC. Just some general rule-of-thumb, guidelines and consideration factors. Then go find your ideal parts to build your perfect PC within your budget.

There are several things to consider at the beginning.

  • Size of your PC casing
  • Ports, slots and connectivity
  • Processor (and socket)

All these factors will determine the appropriate motherboard you need. For example, the casing will constrain your choice of motherboard. Is it going to be an ATX motherboard, mATX motherboard or mini-ITX motherboard?

The ports, connectivity and number of expansion slots are tied to your chipset. Intel and AMD specifies the number of ports, headers and expansion slots for each chipset. See: Z87, H87, H81, Q87, Q85, B85 - What is the difference? - Puget Custom Computers

The processor you've chosen will be built for a particular socket type. The prevalent socket is the Haswell LGA 1150, so I'm assuming you'll be going for this. There are processors using other sockets in the market, so make sure you buy a motherboard with socket that matches your processor. Kind of like ensuring the electrical plug matches the electrical socket in your home. I believe the salesperson will give you a puzzled WTF look if you try to buy an incompatible processor and motherboard. Helpful ones would double confirm or advise you but in SLS, it's good to know what you're buying yourself.

Once you've decided on these, then look for a motherboard that fits your requirements.

As for choice of casing, it can be pretty subjective. The preference and choice can be aesthetic or functional. Some look at the build quality and material, some look at design, number of drive bays, number of front panel usb ports etc. So pretty much up to you.

I am looking to build a high end Desktop PC.

I want the best quality I can for my needs without overspending unnecessarily. I’m thinking that the total amount would be $2000 to $4000?
In most cases, $1500 to $2000 can get you a pretty decent DIY PC. $4000 can get you a monster machine.

I am using the PC for work and for games.

I do not overclock the PC.

If you're not overclocking, you do not need a K processor. Maybe just a normal Core i7 4790. You also do not need a Z87 chipset motherboard if not overclocking.

I will be using wired connection I'm using a Gigabit Ethernet NIC currently.

No comment.

I want a PC case that is not too big or too tall.

If I'm not wrong, you're currently using a midi ATX (43cm high) casing. If you want something smaller, go for micro-ATX (mATX). But you may not be able to do Crossfire or SLI (i.e. install multiple graphics cards) with mATX casing. I'm not graphics card expert btw.

I heard that Intel Core i7 4820K 3.7GHz works as well as Intel Core i7 4930K 3.4GHz for games, and it is cheaper. But if I am opening several browsers, web pages and programs at the same time, will the i7 4930K make much of a difference in performance?

As above, if not overclocking, you do not need a K processor. Not sure if 4930 is sold in SLS or in Singapore, but I only see 4790 using PC Themes' price list. You might want to check with the SLS shops what non-K i7 processors they have.

Should I get SSD for Operating System and SATA for data storage?

Definitely get a SSD for OS and applications. It does wonder and the sweet spot is for 256GB SSD at the moment iirc. If you can afford a bigger one, why not? But definitely avoid the Kingston SSDNow V300.

These are the other components I’m thinking of getting:

G.Skill DDR3 2400 CL 11 (32GB Kit) 8GB x 4 [Ripjaws-X] F3-2400C10Q-32GXM - [S$519.00]

Western Digital Caviar Black 4TB SATA3 WD4001FAEX - [S$354.00]

Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB 2.5" SSD SATA III - [S$179.00]

Asus Geforce GTX780 3GB GTX780-DC2OC-3GD5 - [S$785.00]

LG 24x DVDRW GH24NS50 - [S$28.00]

No comment in general.

But the performance improvement by DDR3-2400 is quite little or even negligible compared to the mainstream DDR3-1600. 8GB to 16GB is usually enough. See Linus Tech Tips: High Speed RAM - Is it Worth it? DDR3 1333MHz vs 2400MHz Test - YouTube

But up to you. If you really feel that you need 32GB RAM and/or DDR3-2400, and don't mind paying for them, then go for it. I won't assume I know what you intend to do with your PC.

Which motherboards do you think are the best choices for my combination?

As mentioned above. Depends on your requirements for ports, slots, size etc.

What power supply should I use?

Forumers here usually recommend Seasonic, Superflower or FSP as trustworthy reliable brands for power supplies. Based on your PC configuration, you can use the various PSU calculators to estimate how big your PSU should be:


You can also google and check JonnyGURU.com - EVGA Supernova G2 1600W Review or HARDOCP - HardOCP Computer Hardware Reviews and News for power supply reviews.

What CPU cooler should I use?

If you're not overclocking, you can just use the stock heatsink fan that comes with your Intel processor.

What casing should I get, and what fan should I use? My current casing is about 43cm high 49cm long and 19cm wide. It has 2 USB port in front and 4 USB ports behind.

As mentioned above, if you want something smaller, choose a mATX casing. Make sure your motherboard is also mATX and can fit inside. You try to buy ATX motherboard and mATX casing,the salesman also will give you a WTF look. :s13:

Good luck and have fun building your PC!
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
@ykgoh, wah u still put in effort to amswer his enquiries. But im sure its efforts watsed coz he will still get the parts datvhe want.
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
@ykgoh, wah u still put in effort to amswer his enquiries. But im sure its efforts watsed coz he will still get the parts datvhe want.

That's why I don't want to be too specific in telling him exactly what to buy. He can choose whatever he likes, but at least they should fit and boot.

I'm just concerned if he go buy something ridiculous like a LGA 2011 processor paired with LGA 1150 motherboard, or ATX mobo with mATX casing then will really GG liao. :eek:

Can't trust SLS salesmen to advise him right? They just sell whatever he asks for in the price list, even if they obviously dun fit. Unless he's lucky to meet the better shops or salesmen who bother to point out or advise him.

I treat it as doing a good deed. Good for karma.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,734
Reaction score
1,557
If i have 4k

Msi Z97 mpower max ac + i5-4690k
Avexir mpower blitz 4x4gb 1866mhz kit
WD Purple 1tb
Samsung evo 250gb
Msi gtx780 6gb twin froZr x2
Seasonic p1000
Lianli pc D600
Asus bluray
Asus HDAV 1.3 sound card
2 x UT60 alphacool 360mm radiator
2x aqc gtx780 blocks
1x aqc xt cpu block
Probably go acrylic tubes
Alphacool pump and pump top
Throw in all noctua fans
Ek res
Meyham pastal coolant
And all bitspower fittings
If got spare change i would go for aqc controls
 

enenyi

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2011
Messages
5,927
Reaction score
5
Blah blah blah... you speak without understanding.

You are exactly one of those I was referring to.

I don't need to waste time defending myself.

Mod please close this thread.

Hmm, personal attack against me? Another good reason to report to the mods against u for trolling this forum and creating a nuisance thread. Wonder y u dun dare to reply to other forumers who share the same opinion as me.
 
Last edited:

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
That's why I don't want to be too specific in telling him exactly what to buy. He can choose whatever he likes, but at least they should fit and boot.

I'm just concerned if he go buy something ridiculous like a LGA 2011 processor paired with LGA 1150 motherboard, or ATX mobo with mATX casing then will really GG liao. :eek:

Can't trust SLS salesmen to advise him right? They just sell whatever he asks for in the price list, even if they obviously dun fit. Unless he's lucky to meet the better shops or salesmen who bother to point out or advise him.

I treat it as doing a good deed. Good for karma.

If he is able to find a pricing for LGA 1150 mobo and LGA2011 CPU, i will buy for him.
 

straweffigy

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2009
Messages
27,736
Reaction score
6,581
If I had 4k and I have to spend it, I'd spend 1.5k max on a rig (good enough) and the rest I'll buy other stuffs more practical.
 

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 11, 2001
Messages
53,997
Reaction score
18
Thread closed.

Is not going anywhere beneficial to anyone including TS.

Here, sincerely thanks fellow members for their constructive advices and replied with technical aspect against want and need.

Money can buy whatever you want but never about what you need in a balance machine that meet the most stringent requirement with reasonable investment on the hardware.

@MindReality, just buy whatever hardware you can afford, folks here already gave you enough information.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top