Building a New Humble Rig......

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
It has been many years since I built a comp...... My old comp LAN kaput 2 days ago leaving me without any internet (have to rely on my notebook to surf net). So I guess its time for me start my new rig project. Couldn't finish buying everything in 1 day though. Brought these new toys back!!

compstuffs_zps866e2a3d.jpg
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,288
Reaction score
420
Wah Xpower sia... Sibei expensive... R u gonna make use of the waterblock found in the NB and watercool ur system?
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Wah Xpower sia... Sibei expensive... R u gonna make use of the waterblock found in the NB and watercool ur system?

Hi, I am not sure yet. I will definitely be going to WC the CPU and the graphics cards but I am not sure if its necessary to WC the NB.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
I took a picture of the 290 gaming card. Looks like MSI has improve the power section. It used to be pretty stock looking except for new caps. Now they have rework the power section. Its 6+1 phase instead of 5+1. Choke looks very nice as well.

290power_zps439a6a8c.jpg
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Some shots of the board

MOSFETS_zps5250948e.jpg


The MOSFETs on this board is really very good. 16 of them. They are IR3550M integrated mosfet (with control etc..) rated for 60A.

The capacitors are quite impressive as well. MSI call them Hi C caps but I think its mainly a type of tantalum cap.
 

Yureak

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
18,905
Reaction score
33
I took a picture of the 290 gaming card. Looks like MSI has improve the power section. It used to be pretty stock looking except for new caps. Now they have rework the power section. Its 6+1 phase instead of 5+1. Choke looks very nice as well.

290power_zps439a6a8c.jpg

you are sibei heng you got hynix memory :D
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,730
Reaction score
1,554
Lucky you bought XPower board.

The only mainstream board that i know that supports x16/x16/x8/x8. Kudos.

Yes MSI did a new set of Chokes and VRMs section.

Do take note that it is not really Ref card. So might need to find a water blocks that actually fit in properly.

Here are the pics of the new and old r9 290.

Top being the 1st gen r9 290 which totally follows the reference design. And bottom the 2nd gen r9 290 with Caps shifted more to the left side. VRMS are also instead of a single row it is now in 2 rows. Gold chokes are being used as compared to normal ceramic chokes being used.



Blocks are being blocked by capacitors. Top view



Side view

 

Spartan11012

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Wow...today went to SLS to buy the R9 290 but everywhere also no stock! Now i know where they all went
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
delid_zps8a633923.jpg


OK, managed to delid the CPU and remove the crap (I still consider it crappy TIM regardless of what Intel calls it).

Applied 2 layers of super glue on the caps to insulate it as I will be applying liquid pro.

Done!! Put back CPU into mobo. Carefully put back the lid and hold my breath.....

Heng... power up....lol.......:s13: :s13:
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
Lucky you bought XPower board.

The only mainstream board that i know that supports x16/x16/x8/x8. Kudos.

Yes MSI did a new set of Chokes and VRMs section.

Do take note that it is not really Ref card. So might need to find a water blocks that actually fit in properly.

Here are the pics of the new and old r9 290.

Top being the 1st gen r9 290 which totally follows the reference design. And bottom the 2nd gen r9 290 with Caps shifted more to the left side. VRMS are also instead of a single row it is now in 2 rows. Gold chokes are being used as compared to normal ceramic chokes being used.



Blocks are being blocked by capacitors. Top view



Side view


Thanks for the advice!!

Yes, I was somewhat surprised that MSI had reworked the card. I thought its still pretty much like the ref card except for the caps.

I am planning to use EKWB water blocks for the card. Looks like now I better email them and ask if it fits first.
 

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
13,167
Reaction score
1,309
Thanks for the advice!!

Yes, I was somewhat surprised that MSI had reworked the card. I thought its still pretty much like the ref card except for the caps.

I am planning to use EKWB water blocks for the card. Looks like now I better email them and ask if it fits first.
U can go to ek store website, they have a filtering hardware listing to tell u which brand and model fits which block.
 

X-powerman

Banned
Joined
Aug 12, 2014
Messages
411
Reaction score
0
I also waiting for ax1500i.... So long liao... Argh...

Do you think it make sense to get 4 x Plextor M6P 256GB and run RAID 0? I originally wanted the Samsung 850Pro but no stock. Then Samsung is like $80 more than Plextor as well.....

Reason for 4 Plextor sounds stupid (pls don't laugh at me). Cause I am thinking 4 core CPU, 4 sticks of RAM, 4 graphics card, so should get 4 SSD also. Make it 4444......lol.....

Maybe should hoot 4D tomorrow. 4444....:s13:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top