Building my first gaming rig

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
I know that this can be a little too much but because I might consider going SLI with dual or triple panel + RAID 1, would it be too much to get Asrock Z87 Killer for my mobo?

I need that I need my mobo to do a couple other things (as I would not get a sound card), I wanna use my Astro A40 with it, so I need optical output as well.

It's more for future proofing my rig and I think this is the best value I found so far.

The B85m-G43 seems great but it's too basic (can't do SLI or RAID 1 on it). Think I need to increase my budget to 2k alr haha.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
I know that this can be a little too much but because I might consider going SLI with dual or triple panel + RAID 1, would it be too much to get Asrock Z87 Killer for my mobo?

I need that I need my mobo to do a couple other things (as I would not get a sound card), I wanna use my Astro A40 with it, so I need optical output as well.

It's more for future proofing my rig and I think this is the best value I found so far.

The B85m-G43 seems great but it's too basic (can't do SLI or RAID 1 on it). Think I need to increase my budget to 2k alr haha.

SLI is for nvidia GPU. The b85 board has Xfire for amd GPU.

But if you really want to do raid. east is a h87 boards.

And let's say you rather have an nvidia GPU then yes z87 will the one for you.
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
AMD would be ATi Radeon right? Does AMD GPU play friendly with Intel chip and processor? In theory it should play fine right?

Idk I feel like I have more confidence in nvidia GPU at the moment..
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
AMD would be ATi Radeon right? Does AMD GPU play friendly with Intel chip and processor? In theory it should play fine right?

Idk I feel like I have more confidence in nvidia GPU at the moment..

Yes it should work fine. I dont know whether you know or not. But the old imac does use amd gpu.
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
Yes it should work fine. I dont know whether you know or not. But the old imac does use amd gpu.

Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Here are some key specs for my current iMac. I can still play a number of games on bootcamp at low-medium settings, but it's showing its age for new games.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Processor 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 12 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Here are some key specs for my current iMac. I can still play a number of games on bootcamp at low-medium settings, but it's showing its age for new games.

Yeah. Either one ba. Green Camp or Red Camp. Cant go wrong with either one of them.

Right now green camp is a bit stiff in pricing. So best is go for Red Camp. ;)
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
Here's my updated rig!

Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Casing - $159
Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance w/ i5 4570 - $408
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB - $118
MSI GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 OC Twin Frozr Gaming - $405
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - $148
HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $126
Superflower HX 600M Gold Modular 600W - $125

Total - $1629

My vanity is telling me to get the CM Hyper 212 because I think that heatsink would look very sexy. Same reason why I got the Corsair Vengeance haha.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Here's my updated rig!

Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Casing - $159
Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance w/ i5 4570 - $408
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB - $118
MSI GTX 760 2GB GDDR5 OC Twin Frozr Gaming - $405
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - $148
HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $126
Superflower HX 600M Gold Modular 600W - $125

Total - $1629

My vanity is telling me to get the CM Hyper 212 because I think that heatsink would look very sexy. Same reason why I got the Corsair Vengeance haha.

Why get the gtx760 at $405 when $20 more you get an r9 280x with the same performance as gtx770.
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Casing - $159
Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance w/ i5 4570 - $390
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB - $118
MSI R9 280X 2GB GDDR5 OC TF - $435
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - $148
HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $126
Superflower HX 600M Gold Modular 600W - $125

Total - $1641
 

Krustie

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2013
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Casing - $159
Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance w/ i5 4570 - $390
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB - $118
MSI R9 280X 2GB GDDR5 OC TF - $435
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - $148
HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $126
Superflower HX 600M Gold Modular 600W - $125

Total - $1641

Don't really need the WD black since you already got an SSD, get a Blue instead.

For mouse, get the G400s because optical sensors > laser sensors. Trust me, you're sacrificing accuracy for being able to glide the mouse on glass surfaces.
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
Don't really need the WD black since you already got an SSD, get a Blue instead.

For mouse, get the G400s because optical sensors > laser sensors. Trust me, you're sacrificing accuracy for being able to glide the mouse on glass surfaces.

Ah thanks. Roy told me about blue before. i think I forgot when I was digging somemore.

Mouse wise, I'm actually considering deathadder/G700s over the G400s.

I'm much more leaning towards the G700s because I already own a G700 and I absolutely love it. Mouse and all those hardware can wait, anytime can buy haha.

1597 now.
 

boygenius

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
66
Reaction score
0
Antec Eleven Hundred ATX Casing - $159
Asrock Fatal1ty H87 Performance w/ i5 4570 - $390
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB - $118
MSI R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC TF - $435
SSD Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - $148
HDD WD Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM - $126
Superflower HX 600M Gold Modular 600W - $125 $109

Total - $1625

I think you can get the superflower for $109. Try tradepac/mynextcom. Cheers~:)
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
I think you can get the superflower for $109. Try tradepac/mynextcom. Cheers~:)

Ahh thanks buddy this just keeps getting better!. Though the pricing will keep changing. I'm waiting for my sister to move out first, then I would have my own room + space for this beast.

Until then I'll keep looking out for hardware updates and revise these prices/hardware accordingly. I think I'll stick with ASrock motherboards and MSI GPUs because I like the cooling of their cards.

I know I don't need a CPU cooler, but I can't stand thinking about using that stock cooler from intel among all that beauty. Any suggestion for a cheap and effective aftermarket cooler? I had my eyes on the CM Hyper 212+, the huge heat sink is pretty sexy
 

gaoxing84

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2004
Messages
66,764
Reaction score
2,179
Ahh thanks buddy this just keeps getting better!. Though the pricing will keep changing. I'm waiting for my sister to move out first, then I would have my own room + space for this beast.

Until then I'll keep looking out for hardware updates and revise these prices/hardware accordingly. I think I'll stick with ASrock motherboards and MSI GPUs because I like the cooling of their cards.

I know I don't need a CPU cooler, but I can't stand thinking about using that stock cooler from intel among all that beauty. Any suggestion for a cheap and effective aftermarket cooler? I had my eyes on the CM Hyper 212+, the huge heat sink is pretty sexy
Hyper 212+ is good, if not can take xigamatek gaia 2 or dark knight.
 

ryuxdragonx

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
961
Reaction score
0
Hello guys back after many months. Enlisted about 2 months so very little time on weekends.
Haven't built my PC yet (Petty NSF allowance not enough money sigh)

Anyway, decided to go with 750D for my case. Tradepac quoted me 225 off the phone. I'm sure I can bargain lower when I get a full rig with them.

Corsair 750D Full Tower Case
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP w/ i5 4670k
Noctua NH-D14 (Should I doing a push/pull, or one fan doing either push or pull is enough)
Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition x2
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB (Considering going 16GB here as I'm gonna use Adobe on this rig as well)
MSI R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC TF (Considering going MSI 290 TF depending on the price change)
SSD Kingston V300 120GB x2 (Alr hooted from the last Black Friday)
HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Corsair RM650
Bluray Drive (Any advise on this)

Any advise on pricing guys?
I'm trying to keep it at 1.8k for the parts which I haven't bought yet


Attached an airflow chart here for my planned airflow. Thinking of doing my own dust filter for the front bottom intake fan if I wanna add intake fans there. What do you think?

 
Last edited:

SamuraiShotgun

Junior Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Looks good! But what res are you gaming at? if you're going 1080p that gpu should be sufficient, if not consider the Sapphire r9 290 tri-x if you game at 1440p.

As for the cpu cooler one fan is enough, not a lot of difference going push-pull just for a few fps gain imo, it's good enough as it is.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
Hello guys back after many months. Enlisted about 2 months so very little time on weekends.
Haven't built my PC yet (Petty NSF allowance not enough money sigh)

Anyway, decided to go with 750D for my case. Tradepac quoted me 225 off the phone. I'm sure I can bargain lower when I get a full rig with them.

Corsair 750D Full Tower Case
Gigabyte Z87-D3HP w/ i5 4670k
Noctua NH-D14 (Should I doing a push/pull, or one fan doing either push or pull is enough)
Corsair SP120 Quiet Edition x2
Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600 CL9 2 x 4GB (Considering going 16GB here as I'm gonna use Adobe on this rig as well)
MSI R9 280X 3GB GDDR5 OC TF (Considering going MSI 290 TF depending on the price change)
SSD Kingston V300 120GB x2 (Alr hooted from the last Black Friday)
HDD WD Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Corsair RM650
Bluray Drive (Any advise on this)

Any advise on pricing guys?
I'm trying to keep it at 1.8k for the parts which I haven't bought yet


Attached an airflow chart here for my planned airflow. Thinking of doing my own dust filter for the front bottom intake fan if I wanna add intake fans there. What do you think?


I bought my 750D standalone from them at $220.

You can swap the z87-d3hp for msi z87 g43, unless there isnt much diff in price, and you going for certain colour scheme.

r9 280x is around $450+, 290 is $688 with bf4. Can bargain lower.

No need for vengeance pro, normal vengeance will do. Note that the D14 is very big, may have clearance issues with your ram height and 1st pci-e slot.

bluray drive is ex in sg, u shld have bought 1 along with your ssd.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top