Buy It For Life (BIFL): Master Thread

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
Are you tired of products that are explicitly designed to fail? That are uneconomical or impossible to repair? This thread is dedicated to highlighting products that are designed and built to last for many years, a lifetime, or even multiple lifetimes — "Buy It For Life" (BIFL) products that represent good value.

When you find a potential BIFL product, or if you uncover a way to get a BIFL product at a better price, add to this thread.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
Here are some of my favorite products that are likely to last much longer than their competitors:
  • Smartphones: Apple's "e" model iPhone. It's everything you really need, and it'll get iOS updates for many years and security updates for years after that. Recently activated but otherwise new iPhones are frequently available at reasonable prices from neighborhood mobile phone shops that advertise on Carousell. You may need to replace the battery every couple years.
  • Wireless Routers: MikroTik gear is reasonably priced, chock full of features, and gets firmware updates "forever." There are a couple local MikroTik distributors that list on Shopee, or you can get them internationally from Getic.com. I also like wireless routers that are compatible with OpenWrt open source firmware.
  • Printers: A simple monochrome laser printer gets the job done. I wasn't happy with my last Brother printer, so I'm trying Canon now. The Canon model I chose uses a combined toner and drum cartridge, so we'll see if that works better. In hindsight I think I'd try to find an entry level office model and include Ricoh, Fuji, and Kyocera as potential candidates. If the printer has a toner cartridge rated for 6,000 pages or more, it's probably an office model. Automatic duplexing is a must to cut down on paper use. Some models have built-in scanners.
  • Blenders: Blendtec or Vitamix. We got a great deal on a discontinued model that Blendtec refurbished and sold via their European online store. And there was a promo code that made the deal even sweeter. We also included a comment with the order to send one with a U.K.-style plug, and Blendtec was kind enough to honor that special request at no additional charge. Vitamix is great too, and if you happen to visit Australia you can sometimes find them there from David Jones and other stores at excellent prices.
  • Kitchen Timers: I bought a new ThermoWorks TimeStick (their simplest model) in the U.S. and had it shipped to Singapore using ezShip. I checked eBay and various sellers, and it ended up costing about S$40 all-in. It's not truly waterproof, but it's more rugged than anything else I've found. Their other models are also great, including their "Extra Big & Loud Timer" — a fantastic choice for elderly chefs who might need the bigger buttons and extra volume. We've haven't done well with Tanita's kitchen timers. They're a little better than cheap Daiso units, but they break.
  • Kitchen Mixers: I feel that KitchenAid's quality has slipped, and their 220-240 volt models are especially pricey. I think their bowl lift models are somewhat better than their tilt models. I guess you can start with Amazon U.K. for pricing, but I haven't found the "perfect" BIFL mixer yet.
  • Cookware: You can't go wrong with a simple Lodge cast iron skillet. You can get a 12 inch model for about S$60 from Amazon.sg, but shop around to see if you can do better. We also like our Staub Cocotte, but I think we bought that one overseas and waited patiently for an excellent price. Remember to use good quality heat gloves!
  • Rice Cookers: Zojirushi. I'm not a huge fan of their conventional pot-style rice cookers, but a basic "fuzzy logic" model is absolutely fine. Pricing can vary a lot, so look for promo codes, sales, closeouts, "open box" units, etc.
  • Washing Machines: Speed Queen of course, but pricing in Singapore is sobering. Maybe Korean-built LGs with direct drive? But they're not Speed Queens.
  • Ceiling Fans: KDK.
  • Backpacks: I've had good luck with Osprey, but I'm very patient and look for great sales. They offer a lifetime warranty, but it's often impractical to make a warranty claim from Singapore due to shipping costs.
  • Tote Bags: L.L. Bean in the U.S. makes some rugged canvas tote bags that you can use for grocery shopping, airline cabin baggage, etc. They have wrap around straps (important), and I prefer the ones with zippers and long straps. You can get them to Singapore via ezShip. Watch for outlet and sale/promo prices. Please note that most of them are not waterproof or water resistant. I'd avoid anything with leather.
  • Socks: I like Darn Tough and Smartwool socks. Wool socks in Singapore?!? Yes indeed, the lighter weight ones. Darn Tough offers a lifetime warranty, although again it's typically impractical (even with ezShip) to make a warranty claim from Singapore. These companies change their socks often (pun intended), so if you're patient you can find closeout sale prices.
 
Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
And here are some more of my "BIFL" favorites:
  • Laptop Computers: IBM ThinkPads were always fantastic, and fortunately Lenovo has done a reasonably good job maintaining brand quality. Look for their "office" models but with upgraded screens (higher resolution, better brightness). Examples include their X1 Carbon and T series models (with uprated screens). If you can find a gently used ThinkPad at a great price, I think you've got a winner. ThinkPads almost always include Windows Professional licenses, and of course you can also run Linux. I'd also check to make sure Windows 11 officially supports the CPU. Typically that means an Intel "8th generation" processor or newer, although I'd try for something substantially newer for a still reasonable price.

    Macs are great, but Apple frequently cuts them off from macOS updates too soon. Fortunately Asahi Linux is now available for older Apple Silicon-based Macs to extend their useful lifespans. I think the MacBook Neo has too little RAM for longevity (but is otherwise a great machine), so I'd look for a great price on a MacBook Air. At this instant you can buy a 2025 M4 MacBook Air in Apple's refurbished online store in Singapore for S$1,099 delivered. That's quite reasonable, I think. Apple does a fantastic job refurbishing their products, and they come with the same warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Apple refurbished product.

  • Wrist Watches: Can you really go wrong with a Citizen Eco-Drive quartz watch with sapphire crystal — or a comparable Seiko? No battery to replace, and it'll probably run forever.

    I haven't found any smart watches or fitness trackers that are expressly designed for longevity. I thought Withings might've figured it out with their ScanWatch, but they've had some build quality problems. Fitbits used to be decent, but reportedly their build quality has slipped. The new Huawei Band 11 (~S$68 for the mid-range non-Pro aluminum model) looks promising as a full scope HPB Healthy 365 tracker, but I don't think it'll be a true "BIFL" product.

  • Laundry Racks: Brabantia's drying racks are better quality than most, and of course they cost more.

  • Office/Home Office Chairs: You can find gently used Steelcase Leap V2 chairs for about S$300 and up.

  • Microwave Ovens: I think I'd go with a Korean-built LG if you can find one.

  • Built-In Ovens: Bosch makes a few built-in ovens that can operate over standard 13 amp circuits including the HHF113BR0B model that's available in Singapore. That's a basic, energy efficient model that's been around for many years. Pricing fluctuates a lot in Singapore, but if you have some patience and shop well you can probably get it for S$600 or less.

  • Dishwashers: Probably Bosch, Miele, or LG.

  • Vacuum Cleaners: The "stick" vacuum cleaners are fashionable, but I haven't seen any that are "BIFL." We're happy with our basic Miele Classic C1 vacuum cleaner that we got at a great price from a local seller. It uses bags and filters, and we stocked up on them when we happened to visit Europe (where they cost a lot less). We had one "out of the box" issue with ours (the power switch wasn't working reliably), but Miele replaced the defective switch under warranty. Since then, no trouble at all. I see that tangs.com is selling the Miele Guard S1 Junior for S$365 (after promo code). That's very fairly priced I think, although you'll need to replace the bags a little more often since they're a little smaller. (You can buy the bags overseas like we did. I think Amazon U.K. or one of the other Amazon storefronts in Europe can ship them to Singapore.)
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
And here are some more "BIFL" nominees:
  • Men's Underwear: ExOfficio 6" Give-N-Go 2.0 Boxer Briefs. They're pretty expensive now, but sometimes you can find a decent sale price on Amazon.com or elsewhere. If you can find them for US$20 per pair or less, that's really all you can hope for. They might last longer than you want them to last.😂

  • Duffel Bags: Red Oxx's Aviator Kit Bags. They're really expensive nowadays, but damn they're good. Lifetime warranty.

  • Acoustic Pianos: I'm passing along information from family members here: Kawai and Yamaha pianos manufactured in Japan are tough to beat. A gently used, regularly serviced piano can reward you with a lifetime of enjoyment as long as you keep taking good care of it. However, consider carefully whether an electronic piano is a better fit.

  • Staplers: I have an ancient Swingline stapler that my father had in his office, and it's still going strong. The newer ones aren't that rugged, but a Swingline Classic 747 is still pretty good as long as you respect its page limits. Currently only about S$26 from Amazon.sg.

  • Travel Mugs: Kyocera's travel mugs are terrific, but get the flip top and plain stainless steel exterior (no colored coating). The twist top tends to separate (come unglued), and the coatings eventually wear off anyway. Available in your choice of 350 ml and 500 ml sizes. You might be able to save a little money buying them from Amazon Japan. Zojirushi also makes some good travel mugs, and they're more affordable. But it's the opposite with them: their twist tops are better than their flip tops.

  • Coffee Machine: You don't need a machine if you just want brewed coffee. Daiso sells simple paper filters for S$2.16 per 90. If you don't like Daiso's cone/dripper, you can splurge and get a ceramic cone/dripper (such as a Kalita). Even for single cup brewing I'd get the "3 to 4 cup" cone/dripper and filters. (The Kyocera travel mug is a little wider than the Zojirushi, so it may be possible to brew coffee directly into the mug depending on what cone/dripper you pick.)

  • Coffee Grinder: I got a basic TIMEMORE brand manual coffee grinder (made in China) that's surprisingly well built. My only complaint is that you have to line the pieces up carefully and treat the threads gently when you screw and unscrew the base. They cost about S$60, and you can find them on Aliexpress among other places. Or you can just buy pre-ground coffee and keep it in the refrigerator. But having even a basic manual grinder saves money in the long run because whole beans sometimes cost less.
 

LWZ

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2016
Messages
40,278
Reaction score
15,917
Thanks for sharing. Had never heard of Speed Queen before this.
 

Prof. Utonium

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
34,575
Reaction score
4,576
There's home version of Speed Queen in SG? Previously was only able to find the commercial versions.

Tried it multiple times overseas, can say I am impressed by it.
 

tehhalia

Master Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2011
Messages
3,464
Reaction score
387
Wallet i would go with Braun buffel. Reasonably priced, already 8 years, at the current condition I can foresee it lasting at least a decade.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
There's home version of Speed Queen in SG? Previously was only able to find the commercial versions.
Tried it multiple times overseas, can say I am impressed by it.
Yes, the Speed Queen distributors in Singapore serve deep pocketed residential customers too. The FF7 is Speed Queen’s front loading model, and I think that’s the one that’s passed the local regulations. The FF7’s U.S. list price is over US$2,000 (anything under is a good sale price), so I assume it’s got to be over S$3,000 here since it’s a beast to ship.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
I’m surprised that Walmart.com sells decent bath towels that hold up rather well. Their 100% cotton Better Homes & Gardens Signature Soft Solid Cotton towels specifically. You can get them delivered to Singapore via ezShip. For example, a set of four standard sized bath towels (in lots of color choices) costs about US$35 plus shipping and GST.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
If you'd like a quasi-BIFL solution for shaving, how about a classic double edge (DE) safety razor? For example, at this instant the Edwin Jagger DE safety razor with a 5 blade starter kit costs S$43.29 on Amazon.sg. The razor handle should last forever as long as you avoid the models with rubber or plastic handles, and supplies can be inexpensive if you shop around. You'll also need a mirror (which you probably already have), a good shaving brush, classic shaving soap, alcohol free shaving lotion, and eventually replacement blades. I think Mustafa Center still sells most or all of these supplies. There are a couple basic rules with DE shaving: (1) prepare your skin well, and (2) don't apply pressure.
 

donpen

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
  • Acoustic Pianos: I'm passing along information from family members here: Kawai and Yamaha pianos manufactured in Japan are tough to beat. A gently used, regularly serviced piano can reward you with a lifetime of enjoyment as long as you keep taking good care of it. However, consider carefully whether an electronic piano is a better fit.
Agree with the acoustic piano. I bought a second-hand Yamaha in 2001 I think. It was already a 20-year-old piano. And now over 20 years later, it still produces a great sound. It's like only I've aged emoji 😅
 

donpen

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2024
Messages
7
Reaction score
5
Cowon M2 MP3 Player
One of the best MP3 players I've ever owned. Am a music lover. Bought it close to 20 years ago and it's still running fine. A full charge can last a month, I used to play it about 3 hours a day commuting to and from work.

Back in the day, Cowon players were known for their superior sound (just pair one with a good pair of earphones), impressive battery life, and solid build quality. I believe they're made in Korea, and the company didn't skimp on materials. Besides the M2, I also own a D2 and C2.

MP3 players fell out of fashion when streaming took over. I think they sold the company to a Chinese firm, which has since pivoted to mobile gaming.

That said, I've read that younger generations are rediscovering physical media and portable music players, having grown tired of streaming services. I hope they get to appreciate well-built products like this one. Sometimes paying a little more for a good product is worth it.

I'm still using my Cowon M2 after nearly 20 years and haven't needed Spotify. If I want to listen to something I don't own, I'll check it out on YouTube. I'm old-school, I own all my music on physical media and still do. Love my CDs. Never quite understood the appeal of vinyl (too fragile) or cassettes (wore out easily and, well, analogue).
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
Chaco sandals tend to be among the most durable. I found this pair of Chaco Men's Z/Cloud Sandals for US$49.94 including shipping within the U.S. (You have to change the store location to U.S. if it's defaulting to Singapore.) I think that'll end up being about S$80.10 delivered to Singapore via ezShip, assuming you select the free repacking option.

I've occasionally found lower prices on Chaco (or "Chaco"?) sandals from sellers in Vietnam. I ordered a pair, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a real pair of Chacos. Dillard's is a significant department store chain in the U.S. and a reputable seller.
 

Claylite

Junior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2022
Messages
51
Reaction score
17
I don’t think most electronic products nowadays are still true BIFL like those microwaves that used to last decades. iPhones also have a limited number of years of support for iOS/security updates. Though there are still some good ones…

I remember reading news that the Instant Pot failed because they held up too well.

Might be good to classify which are true BIFLs and other good quality that can last some years.

Some BIFL items can require maintenance and get really pricey too, and may not be worth the cost of getting cheap versions that can be easily replaced.

A few of my BIFL recommendations:
PYREX measuring cups - lasts as long as you don’t break them. Get the borosilicate glass rather than the soda lime versions. There’s some debate over PYREX and pyrex…

WMF cutlery - They have various styles with cromargan and the pricier cromargan protect lines. I can’t tell the difference between the two but they are considered heirloom quality.

Stick umbrellas - not the flimsy aluminium foldable kinds. Have some with corporate decals that have been around for more than 50 years.

AMC stainless steel pots - I had to replace a lodge cast iron which broke when I dropped it (it’s heavy!) but haven’t had to replace these yet.
 

CrashWire

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2000
Messages
5,948
Reaction score
811
Here are some of my favorite products that are likely to last much longer than their competitors:
  • Wireless Routers: MikroTik gear is reasonably priced, chock full of features, and gets firmware updates "forever." There are a couple local MikroTik distributors that list on Shopee, or you can get them internationally from Getic.com. I also like wireless routers that are compatible with OpenWrt open source firmware.

Many routers last forever. I don't think I've ever had a router spoil on me, and I have many. For most people, they should just go with a slight upgrade from whatever their ISP gives them. And most people don't know their wireless physics or cabling enough that it wouldn't make sense to BIFL, but get a mesh system that's appropriate for them.

  • Printers: A simple monochrome laser printer gets the job done. I wasn't happy with my last Brother printer, so I'm trying Canon now. The Canon model I chose uses a combined toner and drum cartridge, so we'll see if that works better. In hindsight I think I'd try to find an entry level office model and include Ricoh, Fuji, and Kyocera as potential candidates. If the printer has a toner cartridge rated for 6,000 pages or more, it's probably an office model. Automatic duplexing is a must to cut down on paper use. Some models have built-in scanners.

Given how the printer business model works, I would recommend whatever model supports 3rd party toner. Preferably without any kind of shoddy DRM.

And here are some more of my "BIFL" favorites:
  • Laptop Computers: Macs are great, but Apple frequently cuts them off from macOS updates too soon. Fortunately Asahi Linux is now available for older Apple Silicon-based Macs to extend their useful lifespans. I think the MacBook Neo has too little RAM for longevity (but is otherwise a great machine), so I'd look for a great price on a MacBook Air. At this instant you can buy a 2025 M4 MacBook Air in Apple's refurbished online store in Singapore for S$1,099 delivered. That's quite reasonable, I think. Apple does a fantastic job refurbishing their products, and they come with the same warranty. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Apple refurbished product.

Asahi Linux only fully supports the older Apple Silicon laptops.

One really amazing thing about Apple these days is that AppleCare is renewable. This means that I won't have to buy a laptop for maybe 8-10 years if I'm happy with it, because I can always get the battery replaced if it's under 80%, and get it repaired (for a fee) if it gets into an accident.

  • Wrist Watches: Can you really go wrong with a Citizen Eco-Drive quartz watch with sapphire crystal — or a comparable Seiko? No battery to replace, and it'll probably run forever.

    I haven't found any smart watches or fitness trackers that are expressly designed for longevity. I thought Withings might've figured it out with their ScanWatch, but they've had some build quality problems. Fitbits used to be decent, but reportedly their build quality has slipped. The new Huawei Band 11 (~S$68 for the mid-range non-Pro aluminum model) looks promising as a full scope HPB Healthy 365 tracker, but I don't think it'll be a true "BIFL" product.

The downside of the Withings, or any rechargeable smart watch, really, is that rechargeable lithium batteries will eventually wear out.

My Apple Watch Series 5 is still going strong. And I believe that the Apple Watch warranty is also renewable yearly now, if you bought AppleCare at the start.

  • Coffee Machine: You don't need a machine if you just want brewed coffee. Daiso sells simple paper filters for S$2.16 per 90. If you don't like Daiso's cone/dripper, you can splurge and get a ceramic cone/dripper (such as a Kalita). Even for single cup brewing I'd get the "3 to 4 cup" cone/dripper and filters. (The Kyocera travel mug is a little wider than the Zojirushi, so it may be possible to brew coffee directly into the mug depending on what cone/dripper you pick.)

Since you mentioned coffee machines, Delonghi famously sells replacement parts for theirs: https://www.delonghispareparts.com/

They're much cheaper second hand or imported from other countries.
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,596
Many routers last forever. I don't think I've ever had a router spoil on me, and I have many.
They don't last from a firmware point of view, and thus they don't get security updates. The examples I provide are notable exceptions: they have very long security lifespans.

Also, there are some build quality differences between cheap consumer grade wireless routers and better built ones. For example, look for plastic Ethernet jacks. The plastic ones are prone to failure especially if you're plugging/unplugging devices into them fairly often.
Given how the printer business model works, I would recommend whatever model supports 3rd party toner. Preferably without any kind of shoddy DRM.
Agreed.
Asahi Linux only fully supports the older Apple Silicon laptops.
For now. As long as Asahi Linux supports your Mac before the time Apple drops macOS support, you're OK.
One really amazing thing about Apple these days is that AppleCare is renewable. This means that I won't have to buy a laptop for maybe 8-10 years if I'm happy with it, because I can always get the battery replaced if it's under 80%, and get it repaired (for a fee) if it gets into an accident.
AppleCare is merely an extended warranty, not magic. If the underlying product does not have durability and long lifespan characteristics, an extended warranty won't fix that. You could pay for the shorter lifespan either way. Some Apple products last a long time, but many don't.
The downside of the Withings, or any rechargeable smart watch, really, is that rechargeable lithium batteries will eventually wear out.
Which is tolerable if they're replaceable. It's actually better than standard watch batteries because you don't have to replace them as often.
My Apple Watch Series 5 is still going strong. And I believe that the Apple Watch warranty is also renewable yearly now, if you bought AppleCare at the start.
But do you know how Apple manages battery "replacements"? They swap the whole watch in the field! And it's particularly absurd because Apple Watches already have short battery runtimes. That means battery deterioration is that much more painful.
Since you mentioned coffee machines, Delonghi famously sells replacement parts for theirs: https://www.delonghispareparts.com/
They're much cheaper second hand or imported from other countries.
I mentioned coffee machines as something that's unnecessary to brew good coffee. In fact, there's a whole subculture of coffee snobs who prefer simple cone filter brewing. But you don't have to be a coffee snob to appreciate the lifecycle aspects.

Coffee capsules are incredibly wasteful and expensive.
 

philips107

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2002
Messages
1,097
Reaction score
733
Here are some of my favorite products that are likely to last much longer than their competitors:
  • Smartphones: Apple's "e" model iPhone. It's everything you really need, and it'll get iOS updates for many years and security updates for years after that. Recently activated but otherwise new iPhones are frequently available at reasonable prices from neighborhood mobile phone shops that advertise on Carousell. You may need to replace the battery every couple years.
  • Wireless Routers: MikroTik gear is reasonably priced, chock full of features, and gets firmware updates "forever." There are a couple local MikroTik distributors that list on Shopee, or you can get them internationally from Getic.com. I also like wireless routers that are compatible with OpenWrt open source firmware.
  • Printers: A simple monochrome laser printer gets the job done. I wasn't happy with my last Brother printer, so I'm trying Canon now. The Canon model I chose uses a combined toner and drum cartridge, so we'll see if that works better. In hindsight I think I'd try to find an entry level office model and include Ricoh, Fuji, and Kyocera as potential candidates. If the printer has a toner cartridge rated for 6,000 pages or more, it's probably an office model. Automatic duplexing is a must to cut down on paper use. Some models have built-in scanners.
  • Blenders: Blendtec or Vitamix. We got a great deal on a discontinued model that Blendtec refurbished and sold via their European online store. And there was a promo code that made the deal even sweeter. We also included a comment with the order to send one with a U.K.-style plug, and Blendtec was kind enough to honor that special request at no additional charge. Vitamix is great too, and if you happen to visit Australia you can sometimes find them there from David Jones and other stores at excellent prices.
  • Kitchen Timers: I bought a new ThermoWorks TimeStick (their simplest model) in the U.S. and had it shipped to Singapore using ezShip. I checked eBay and various sellers, and it ended up costing about S$40 all-in. It's not truly waterproof, but it's more rugged than anything else I've found. Their other models are also great, including their "Extra Big & Loud Timer" — a fantastic choice for elderly chefs who might need the bigger buttons and extra volume. We've haven't done well with Tanita's kitchen timers. They're a little better than cheap Daiso units, but they break.
  • Kitchen Mixers: I feel that KitchenAid's quality has slipped, and their 220-240 volt models are especially pricey. I think their bowl lift models are somewhat better than their tilt models. I guess you can start with Amazon U.K. for pricing, but I haven't found the "perfect" BIFL mixer yet.
  • Cookware: You can't go wrong with a simple Lodge cast iron skillet. You can get a 12 inch model for about S$60 from Amazon.sg, but shop around to see if you can do better. We also like our Staub Cocotte, but I think we bought that one overseas and waited patiently for an excellent price. Remember to use good quality heat gloves!
  • Rice Cookers: Zojirushi. I'm not a huge fan of their conventional pot-style rice cookers, but a basic "fuzzy logic" model is absolutely fine. Pricing can vary a lot, so look for promo codes, sales, closeouts, "open box" units, etc.
  • Washing Machines: Speed Queen of course, but pricing in Singapore is sobering. Maybe Korean-built LGs with direct drive? But they're not Speed Queens.
  • Ceiling Fans: KDK.
  • Backpacks: I've had good luck with Osprey, but I'm very patient and look for great sales. They offer a lifetime warranty, but it's often impractical to make a warranty claim from Singapore due to shipping costs.
  • Tote Bags: L.L. Bean in the U.S. makes some rugged canvas tote bags that you can use for grocery shopping, airline cabin baggage, etc. They have wrap around straps (important), and I prefer the ones with zippers and long straps. You can get them to Singapore via ezShip. Watch for outlet and sale/promo prices. Please note that most of them are not waterproof or water resistant. I'd avoid anything with leather.
  • Socks: I like Darn Tough and Smartwool socks. Wool socks in Singapore?!? Yes indeed, the lighter weight ones. Darn Tough offers a lifetime warranty, although again it's typically impractical (even with ezShip) to make a warranty claim from Singapore. These companies change their socks often (pun intended), so if you're patient you can find closeout sale prices.
I am using a preloved iphone 13 purchased from carousell and I figure the annual cost of ownership is lower than getting a new mid range Andriod phone, while providing better phone and camera performance (the iphone).

There is 1 catch though. I have to avoid destroying the iphone screen (e.g. by dropping it) as i need to hold it longer than an andriod to achieve the lower cost.

The more frequent phone changes afforded by Andriod allows me to tolerate a slightly damaged screen for the short term until I change to a new Andriod phone (e.g. approx every 2 yrs).
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top