Buying PC parts from US?

Akakaka

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
40
Reaction score
5
Hi! I'm a newbie looking at building her own PC in the near future. I've been researching a little and notice that prices of PC parts seems to be way cheaper in the US as compared to Singapore?

I'll actually be going to US a few mths later, and I was wondering if it would be wise to purchase some PC parts while I was there, and bring it back to Singapore to build? Concerns I have would be warrenty/custom issues. Will it be easier to just source for parts in Singapore, or should I try to purchase overseas to save a few bucks? If it's okay to purchase parts from US, which components should I purchase?

I have 0 experience with PC parts and building so any advice will be appreciated! Thanks :)
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,082
Reaction score
1,770
If you are looking for US parts, there is always amazon or amazon.sg

GST is payable at Customs if total amount of goods brought back is S$400 or higher.

For US parts, I would usually treat as no warranty. Some components like motherboards I would always buy locally for the warranty. Other components like CPU, SSD, RAM is quite safe to get overseas as these are less likely to fail and in any case, should be easier to RMA overseas.

Some brands to avoid buying overseas if warranty is important include Samsung and Asus.
 

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Joined
May 8, 2003
Messages
7,851
Reaction score
80
I find that the little money saved from buying overseas is not really worth it for the potential issues around warranty. If you consider that the PC will be used over the next couple of years, the amount saved over that period is not that significant and you would just need 1 component to fail before you face the inconvenience of having to RMA it overseas.

You can actually get pretty good deals from some SLS shops (Bizgram/PCT have reasonable prices), plus worry -free if anything wrong can just bring back. For my new build the only thing I bought from overseas is the CPU heatsink plus a few fans - these have a lot less worries around malfunction and are lower cost items. Motherboard, RAM, GPU especially I would definitely get locally
 

Akakaka

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 20, 2017
Messages
40
Reaction score
5
Alright thanks a lot guys! Really helped, decided against buying anything overseas, will get my components from Singapore instead :)
 

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
125,328
Reaction score
6,590
Buying from the US is not for the fainted heart. I suggest you to buy locally for the local support.

Buy from US only if the savings out weight everything else.

That said, my previous 10700F, Asus Strix B560-A gaming mobo and my current Samsung 980, are all from US.
 

limcc

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,561
Reaction score
203
For items ship and sold by Amazon.sg, they are quite worry free cause they allow 15 days return locally.

https://www.amazon.sg/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=GE3LHCFLXPZ6VDGF
I bought a Sennheiser PXC 550 last year, tried it for a few days, didn't like the sound and fit. Contacted Amazon.sg thru their website for return, key in the reason above. The next day was approved, follow by return bill/label and pick up were issued. Take note that I have already used the headphone for a few days, of course I did clean it up with IPA. Put everything back to box, a few days later, package was pickedup and returned to Amazon.sg, refunded. Amazon service is world class, the pickup by the local courier company, was not. They scheduled the pick up date then flew me not once but twice; The thrid time I just leave the parcel outside and let them collect as they feel free.

The only thing that bother me when buying PC hardware is DoA, if they work, they will usually work for years to come. Buying from SLS shop won;t be much easier compare to oversea, RMA or 1to1 exchange. As we will need to travel there and back again. The effort, time and transport fee aren't free. Probably the only hardware I will get locally is the PSU, 10 years warranty is long and shipping few kg of PSU oversea is not cheap. Also Convergent and Corbell are nearer to me than SLS. That said, the Corsair RM850x@S125 was too irresistible to me, and now its still seal in the box. :s22:
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top