Cambodia Siem Reap

wArmsun

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2014
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Useful tip if you plan to go to Angkor Wat: you must wear below knee length pants or skirts.. there are parts in the temple that will not allow you to go in if you wear shorts or skirts which is above the knee ya ya. Good thing our tour guide told us about it before we left the hotel heng ah..otherwise my girlfriend will wear above the knee shorts that time.
 

ZigguratZ

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
2,027
Reaction score
29
Hi all,

need help with my upcoming Siam Reap trip..

just wondering what would be the best options to for a 2 days tour in Angkor Wat

Should we hire a private tour guide (any good guide to recommend) or can we just go there directly via tuk tuk without any guide and just explore the area by ourselves ..

came across this site .. not sure whether did anyone booked via it before but the prices seems expensive ...

https://www.eoasia.com/en/cambodia/...mpong-plouk-floating-village-around-siem-reap

thanks for your help in advance ..
 

sendtolee

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2008
Messages
940
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

need help with my upcoming Siam Reap trip..

just wondering what would be the best options to for a 2 days tour in Angkor Wat

Should we hire a private tour guide (any good guide to recommend) or can we just go there directly via tuk tuk without any guide and just explore the area by ourselves ..

came across this site .. not sure whether did anyone booked via it before but the prices seems expensive ...

https://www.eoasia.com/en/cambodia/...mpong-plouk-floating-village-around-siem-reap

thanks for your help in advance ..

Self tour is just see the rocks without knowing the history and stories...unless you bring a book on AW and read and explore.
Guide will explain and you can query about AW. Guide is about S$100/day with car if I remember as went many years back.
 

ZigguratZ

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2003
Messages
2,027
Reaction score
29
Any recommended private tour guide to intro ?

Also for landmine museum and Kampong Khleang (floating village) worth going ?

Thanks in advance ..
 

trader789

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
1,029
Reaction score
1
Thanks. This is the whole day rate around the temples right?

By the way, I got loads of queries, namely:
1) SGporeans need to apply for travelling visa?

2) In PP, how to move from point to point, say from the palace to museum. Tuk tuk or walking?

3) I read online that they charge 'taking photo' fee on top of entrance fee in PP places of interest. If using phone to take photos, the charges still apply?

4) Is it safe to go around taking photos with phone. Read that 'snatch and go' is common there.

TIA.

When u going? I be there 8 nov..
 

archangle13

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
994
Reaction score
32
I'm thinking of having my first solo trip. Considering going to Cambodia for a start.

Any advice on duration of stay, when to go, flights, and safety? I am a guy and possibly looking at Siem Reap?

And oh if anyone needs a travel buddy there can also PM me, I suppose.
 

rnanse

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2015
Messages
51
Reaction score
0
I'm thinking of having my first solo trip. Considering going to Cambodia for a start.

Any advice on duration of stay, when to go, flights, and safety? I am a guy and possibly looking at Siem Reap?

And oh if anyone needs a travel buddy there can also PM me, I suppose.

Went to Siem Reap solo this year. I'm a female Traveller.

I guess if you want to just stay at Siem Reap, 3-4 days will be enough to cover the temples.

Stay near Angkor night market, there will be a lot of hostels there
 

archangle13

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
994
Reaction score
32
Went to Siem Reap solo this year. I'm a female Traveller.

I guess if you want to just stay at Siem Reap, 3-4 days will be enough to cover the temples.

Stay near Angkor night market, there will be a lot of hostels there

That is good advice, thank you. Any suggestions for itinerary?

If proceeding beyond Siem Reap, what about places are worth going to? Like if it is a visit-Cambodia-once-and-never-to-come-back trip?
 

turbin95

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2016
Messages
586
Reaction score
10
I'm planning to backpack Cambodia and maybe Laos preferably around Mid January, my travel style will be budget... if anyone keen to be travel buddies maybe we can plan together!
 

Ekspakk

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
213
Reaction score
1
I'm thinking of having my first solo trip. Considering going to Cambodia for a start.

Any advice on duration of stay, when to go, flights, and safety? I am a guy and possibly looking at Siem Reap?

And oh if anyone needs a travel buddy there can also PM me, I suppose.
Siem Reap was also my first solo trip.

Duration - Minimum 2 days, 1 day inner circuit, and 1 day for outer circuit. Can be extended to 3 days depending on how much time you want to spend. 4 days or more, I might get bored.
When to go - Dec to Feb will be the best time to go, but will also be very crowded. I went during May and it was very hot and it's still crowded.
Flights - I took Jetstar last time, not sure now got other options for direct flights.
Safety - Safe in general, but always need to be aware of your surroundings and common sense especially when travelling alone

Other tips:
- Don't bring white shirts, very dusty place and will make your shirts yellowish.
- Ensure you have a meeting place with your driver during sunrise trip, I think my driver went to sleep expecting me to spend more time in Anchorwat after sunrise, but I prefer to go to Bayon right away after sunrise. (Best time to take picture, no shadow in your pictures)
- Stay near pub street.
- Ticket for anchorwat complex are either 1, 3 or 7 days. So plan accordingly to maximize it.
- Sunrise is a must see, you need to arrive at the complex around 430 to 500 AM to beat the crowd and to have the best spot for pictures.
 

archangle13

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
994
Reaction score
32
Siem Reap was also my first solo trip.

Duration - Minimum 2 days, 1 day inner circuit, and 1 day for outer circuit. Can be extended to 3 days depending on how much time you want to spend. 4 days or more, I might get bored.
When to go - Dec to Feb will be the best time to go, but will also be very crowded. I went during May and it was very hot and it's still crowded.
Flights - I took Jetstar last time, not sure now got other options for direct flights.
Safety - Safe in general, but always need to be aware of your surroundings and common sense especially when travelling alone

Other tips:
- Don't bring white shirts, very dusty place and will make your shirts yellowish.
- Ensure you have a meeting place with your driver during sunrise trip, I think my driver went to sleep expecting me to spend more time in Anchorwat after sunrise, but I prefer to go to Bayon right away after sunrise. (Best time to take picture, no shadow in your pictures)
- Stay near pub street.
- Ticket for anchorwat complex are either 1, 3 or 7 days. So plan accordingly to maximize it.
- Sunrise is a must see, you need to arrive at the complex around 430 to 500 AM to beat the crowd and to have the best spot for pictures.

Love the content shared!

Can share what attractions are worth going and which are not? Any budget I should set aside?
 

trader789

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
1,029
Reaction score
1
1 day Temple tour cum Angkot wat enough..guide can be hire once you reach entrance of AngkorWat...tour around 1 hour plus. But its ok too to walk yourself and then go back google story on Angkor wat. Good for photo taking. But the nearby Temples i found them better for photo taking. More nicer than for photo than Angkor wat. Return by evening go pub street eat relax drink beer people watch.
 

archangle13

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2006
Messages
994
Reaction score
32
Siem Reap was also my first solo trip.

Duration - Minimum 2 days, 1 day inner circuit, and 1 day for outer circuit. Can be extended to 3 days depending on how much time you want to spend. 4 days or more, I might get bored.
When to go - Dec to Feb will be the best time to go, but will also be very crowded. I went during May and it was very hot and it's still crowded.
Flights - I took Jetstar last time, not sure now got other options for direct flights.
Safety - Safe in general, but always need to be aware of your surroundings and common sense especially when travelling alone

Other tips:
- Don't bring white shirts, very dusty place and will make your shirts yellowish.
- Ensure you have a meeting place with your driver during sunrise trip, I think my driver went to sleep expecting me to spend more time in Anchorwat after sunrise, but I prefer to go to Bayon right away after sunrise. (Best time to take picture, no shadow in your pictures)
- Stay near pub street.
- Ticket for anchorwat complex are either 1, 3 or 7 days. So plan accordingly to maximize it.
- Sunrise is a must see, you need to arrive at the complex around 430 to 500 AM to beat the crowd and to have the best spot for pictures.

Any advice on tour guides? Which ones should I get and where should I find them? Kinda urgent
 

BeeGuat

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
any good recommendations on where to book day guide + pickup service from hotel for Angkor Wat tour & sunrise?
 

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
7,433
Reaction score
717
any good recommendations on where to book day guide + pickup service from hotel for Angkor Wat tour & sunrise?
https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attractions-g297390-Activities-c42-t235-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Private Tours in Siem Reap‎

Can go to the website of the more reviewed or better ranked ones to compare.
 

BeeGuat

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2018
Messages
17
Reaction score
0
Thanks for ur help :)

https://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/Attractions-g297390-Activities-c42-t235-Siem_Reap_Siem_Reap_Province.html

Private Tours in Siem Reap‎

Can go to the website of the more reviewed or better ranked ones to compare.
 

xiaosinsinful

Banned
Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
23,527
Reaction score
13,172
nice a thread for SR. I'm planning to go SR via BKK in Aug. From what I gather from this thread a 3D2N should be enough? is PP worth visiting or will SR be a good enough experience for Cambodia?

Just some clarification
1. For 3D2N 250 USD is enough?(both accomodation and spending or just spending?)

2. Don't need to change to their currency and maintain USD.

3.just hire a Tuktuk/driver for around 12-30USD is good enough for the day or better to hire guides? might not be so into guided tours since I want to look around the attractions and photograph the area, which might take awhile.

Any good accomodation / guides to recommend. I am mainly looking for a driver to take me to places for photography especially sunrise and sunset, do drop me a PM if you guys know of any
 
Last edited:

Ekspakk

Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
213
Reaction score
1
nice a thread for SR. I'm planning to go SR via BKK in Aug. From what I gather from this thread a 3D2N should be enough? is PP worth visiting or will SR be a good enough experience for Cambodia?

Just some clarification
1. For 3D2N 250 USD is enough?(both accomodation and spending or just spending?)

2. Don't need to change to their currency and maintain USD.

3.just hire a Tuktuk/driver for around 12-30USD is good enough for the day or better to hire guides? might not be so into guided tours since I want to look around the attractions and photograph the area, which might take awhile.

Any good accomodation / guides to recommend. I am mainly looking for a driver to take me to places for photography especially sunrise and sunset, do drop me a PM if you guys know of any
If you'll arrive early on the 1st day, tour in the afternoon + sunset, sunrise + whole day 2nd day, then it might be enough to visit the main temples. But you might be rushing a bit, so need to plan properly the temples you want to visit. Just remember though that weather can get super hot. BTW.. I also skipped PP, and I don't feel like I missed anything.

1. Might be, I went almost 5 years ago, so the rate might be different now. But it's not an expensive place in general. Tuktuk might cost you $USD 20 a day or more, food $USD 3 to $USD 5 or more. Regarding food, most of the one I tried at the temple street were very bad! The best once were the street food.

2. Now sure now, but last time can survive with $USD, they will just give you local currency as change.

3. If photography is your main objective, I doubt you will be able to find a normal guide / driver who can tell you the best spot at a particular time on the streets. High chance everyone will just follow the same route as everyone. So you might need to do your own research for local contacts specializing in photography. But I have few tips based on my experience before:

- For sunrise, leave your place as early as possible! If you follow the suggestion of your driver / guide, you will arrive same timing with the crowed and you won't have the good spot. I think last time, I arrived as early as 5AM, or even a bit earlier.

- After sunrise, go straight to Bayon, The the best time to take good shots without crowds and minimal shadows. Everyone will go back to their hotel to eat breakfast. Just bring your own packed food.

- Remember to set a meeting place with your driver after sunrise, I lost precious time looking for him when I was there.
 

Amosfoong

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2017
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Just some clarification

2. Don't need to change to their currency and maintain USD.

Don't need to change to riel. But prepare some small notes eg.1 or 10 dollar bills. Expect that most peddlers or tuk tuk drivers do not have enough change for 100 dollar bills.

They use riel and USD interchangeably. 4000 riel in general equates to a dollar. They do not use coins, and will return loose change in riel. Ie. 50cents equates to 2000 riel.

Oh ya.. one more thing is that the locals there are very particular about the condition of your 100 dollar bills. So try to ask for new notes from money changers. Tell them you are going to Cambodia and they will understand.
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top