Can borrow money using property as collateral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,286
Reaction score
5,867
I need to borrow around $700k to pay for a condo. Condo is completing soon and I had paid installments (no loan) till left 700k remaining. I am currently unemployed. If my parents are willing, can they use their property as collateral and also their rental/pension to prove that they can pay back the monthly loans? But the money goes into paying for my condo (under my name)? Thanks!
their property is HDB or private property?

Fully paid up?

Rental sure can cause they get it in cash and is their choice.

Pension cannot

i don't think you can borrow any money if you have no income cause of TDSR
 

DevilPlate

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 22, 2020
Messages
12,251
Reaction score
5,165
I need to borrow around $700k to pay for a condo. Condo is completing soon and I had paid installments (no loan) till left 700k remaining. I am currently unemployed. If my parents are willing, can they use their property as collateral and also their rental/pension to prove that they can pay back the monthly loans? But the money goes into paying for my condo (under my name)? Thanks!
Omg why never secure a loan when u are employed.

talk to bankers directly asap better
 

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 15, 2010
Messages
24,609
Reaction score
5,594
Elaborating a bit, if your parents were to get a home equity loan they’ll need a private (non-HDB) home that has substantial equity. They’ll need to pass Total Debt Servicing Ratio (TDSR) rules based on their rental income, although the lender might also take certain financial assets into account.

Of course another option is to sell your equity interest in your home and try again later. Given the currently fairly heated housing market that might work rather well.
 

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 16, 2005
Messages
66,286
Reaction score
5,867
Careful when engage with this reader he not happy will report you want hor. Just ignore will do save you headache
I think rational and logical people will understand that what gets people into trouble is the breaking of rules. Not simply the mood swings of selected individuals.
 
Last edited:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
I need to borrow around $700k to pay for a condo. Condo is completing soon and I had paid installments (no loan) till left 700k remaining. I am currently unemployed. If my parents are willing, can they use their property as collateral and also their rental/pension to prove that they can pay back the monthly loans? But the money goes into paying for my condo (under my name)? Thanks!
Don't dream unless your parents are rich and their property is fully paid and worth a lot. My friend's old mother took an equity loan of $2m without monthly repayments :LOL: Of course the loan snowballed over the years and at the end she paid $5m and sold part of her garden
 

limster

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2000
Messages
13,104
Reaction score
4,071
Don't dream unless your parents are rich and their property is fully paid and worth a lot. My friend's old mother took an equity loan of $2m without monthly repayments :LOL: Of course the loan snowballed over the years and at the end she paid $5m and sold part of her garden

If the parents are rich, they can buy over the condo from the son and take over the loan, become landlord and rent it out for passive income.

Since the condo is not yet TOP, I presume the son is staying in HDB, in which case, just continue staying in HDB since unemployed. Maybe one day he can inherit the condo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top