Cannot copy files to external HDD

Silvermane

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Hi all, I got a WD Elements 1TB external HDD that has been working fine previously however yesterday I found out that I cannot copy files to it.

It always says something like cannot read from the source file or disk. But I can read files from the external HDD just fine.

Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
Try connect to another desktop/laptop and see if you are able copy?
 

Silvermane

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
I see, thanks for the reply. I will try it tonight.
So you mean my laptop USB might have problem?
 

Silvermane

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Ah no, there error message is that they cannot read from the source file or disk, no mention about write protection.
Initially I thought the issue is with my photos, then I realised I can't copy anything to the external HDD
 

Louisloo

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
811
Reaction score
0
Ah no, there error message is that they cannot read from the source file or disk, no mention about write protection.
Initially I thought the issue is with my photos, then I realised I can't copy anything to the external HDD

Are you copying data from your pc TO your Ext disk?
If this is so, the source files is from your computer and not your Ext disk. Means the disk in your PC has some problem. Not the other way around.
 

Silvermane

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
So I tried copying files from my old laptop (Win 7) and it worked.
My newer laptop is Windows 10.

I can copy files to thumbdrives on my Win 10 laptop, but not my external HDD.
I used the WD Datalifeguard test and the drive is OK.
Anyone can help?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Den like this sound like your win 10, device might have some high security protection... Why not u boot to safe mode and try and see if can work?
 

ykgoh

Master Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,782
Reaction score
0
Maybe your flash drive is whitelisted but your HDD is not recognized as an allowed device?

This shouldn't happen on a personal laptop, but may happen for corporate one with special security software installed.

Or your Windows 10 laptop somehow cannot access your HDD file system properly.
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
TS, is your new Win 10 laptop a personal one or from your company?
 

Silvermane

Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
143
Reaction score
0
Nah my laptop (Win 10) is personal use.
I'm backing up the HDD and perhaps format it because I tried copying a large file (4Gb) using my win 7 laptop and it failed halfway.

I think the HDD might be not working well despite WD datalifeguard saying that its OK.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top