Car Dashcam

Kia7200

Master Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it has to do with our usage pattern. My car is usually parked and not moved during weekend. Weekdays driving to and back for work and car is not moved during the entire day. so a lot of time for the dashcam to suck the battery dry (until the powersaver kicks in)

Now I got the external battery, so will monitor and see if it's better

Sent from 雪花飘飘北风啸啸, 天地一片苍茫
一剪寒梅, 傲立雪中, 只为伊人飘香 using GAGT

I don't drive my car everyday
But if I drive, it will be like 50km

So far ok for me n I got a odb which show my car voltage, and batt pack jump starter. So it make more sense for me to tap from my car batt

hayashiryo

Reaction score
Not sure if it has to do with our usage pattern. My car is usually parked and not moved during weekend. Weekdays driving to and back for work and car is not moved during the entire day. so a lot of time for the dashcam to suck the battery dry (until the powersaver kicks in)

Now I got the external battery, so will monitor and see if it's better

Sent from 雪花飘飘北风啸啸, 天地一片苍茫
一剪寒梅, 傲立雪中, 只为伊人飘香 using GAGT
Hi. I am going to install a iRoad x5 dashcam.

But I don't wish to install external battery.

I'm told the car will give out a warning about battery drainage.

This link says even if without external battery, the car battery will not go flat in 2-3 days
https://www.torque.com.sg/features/...ime the camera is,the car battery going flat.
Plus the dashcam has a autocut off feature.

Does anybody have a bad experience not installing external battery?

sinistral

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most modern dashcams come with voltage cut-off so that it will not fully deplete the car battery charge while it is recording in parking mode.

The only use-case I can think of for those that installed external battery is that they would want records in parking mode far longer than just 1-2 full days of parking.

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am going to install a iRoad x5 dashcam.

But I don't wish to install external battery.

I'm told the car will give out a warning about battery drainage.

This link says even if without external battery, the car battery will not go flat in 2-3 days
https://www.torque.com.sg/features/...ime the camera is,the car battery going flat.
Plus the dashcam has a autocut off feature.

Does anybody have a bad experience not installing external battery?
If is recommended by the car dash cam installer, that's sales talk lah. Dun get hooked. Since the cam comes with auto cut off when car main batt is low, then is save you from able to start the car. My ride installed with Nefu Plabo 2CH dash cam, for 1.5 years liao, not installed with external batt pack. So far dun give me problem with car unable to start.

hayashiryo

Reaction score
If is recommended by the car dash cam installer, that's sales talk lah. Dun get hooked. Since the cam comes with auto cut off when car main batt is low, then is save you from able to start the car. My ride installed with Nefu Plabo 2CH dash cam, for 1.5 years liao, not installed with external batt pack. So far dun give me problem with car unable to start.
I see. But I do have 1 concern:

The installer says since it's connected directly to the battery, it can do recording.

But the next the car will show a "Battery Discharge" warning. But I would know it's ok because the discharge is due to the dashcam recording.

But what if one day, some electrical fault did really occur and the car shows me "Battery Discharge" warning for some other electrical problem. And if I ignore it, then I would never fix whatever problem it is.

How would you handle this?

myviowner

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I see. But I do have 1 concern:

The installer says since it's connected directly to the battery, it can do recording.

But the next the car will show a "Battery Discharge" warning. But I would know it's ok because the discharge is due to the dashcam recording.

But what if one day, some electrical fault did really occur and the car shows me "Battery Discharge" warning for some other electrical problem. And if I ignore it, then I would never fix whatever problem it is.

How would you handle this?
This is never ending lor. You have two options:-
1. Go ahead with what the installer says. That "What if one day" thingy, happens oredi then say.
2. Install a external battery pack. Cost you $300+

Personally, i go with 1.

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm... Thanks! I am hoping to keep my dashcam (front and back - both different brands), running 24/7 for at least 1 week without draining the battery though.

How do you intend to solve the problem of storage capacity?

I use a 64GB memory card at my estate car park, and the car park traffic is so high that by the time I go back to my vehicle to drive it out for the day (in the morning) - I only have footage going back to around 2AM or 3AM earlier in the day...

So all in, I probably have only 4 to 5 hours of footage kept in my vehicle at any time.

kakilai

Reaction score
How do you intend to solve the problem of storage capacity?

I use a 64GB memory card at my estate car park, and the car park traffic is so high that by the time I go back to my vehicle to drive it out for the day (in the morning) - I only have footage going back to around 2AM or 3AM earlier in the day...

So all in, I probably have only 4 to 5 hours of footage kept in my vehicle at any time.
What cam are u using? I'm on blackvue and my 128gb card can last slightly more than 24hrs. My parking mode and driving mode both seem to be recording all the time. Just that during parking mode if got hard knock, it will say 'impact detected while parking' when I start the car again.

Comage

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What cam are u using? I'm on blackvue and my 128gb card can last slightly more than 24hrs. My parking mode and driving mode both seem to be recording all the time. Just that during parking mode if got hard knock, it will say 'impact detected while parking' when I start the car again.
Using an iRoad. Recording at HD 1080p - which gives around 4-5 hours of footage with motion detection turned on. I'm not talking about my car battery lasting me 4-5 hours of footage, but talking about the duration it can record before the recording overwrites itself.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nice. I think I'll try that. I'll just forgo extended parking recording.

1) What did you set your voltage cut off?

2) How long on average does your car record when parked?

1. Voltage cut-off is around 11+ V, generally, the closer to 12 V the safer for your battery.

2. The camera only records if there is a knock. It does not go into this standby mode if the battery voltage drops below the setting in (1) but the camera will warn you after you switch off your car engine.

hayashiryo

Reaction score
1. Voltage cut-off is around 11+ V, generally, the closer to 12 V the safer for your battery.

2. The camera only records if there is a knock. It does not go into this standby mode if the battery voltage drops below the setting in (1) but the camera will warn you after you switch off your car engine.
Ok thanks.

Just to share:

I called a shop selling iRoad.

They told me that if I connect the iRoad to car battery, regardless of whether I have parking recording or not, the car will give a "Battery Warning" discharge.

If the battery warning discharge keeps appearing while driving, then it means something is wrong. If the battery discharge warning just appear once after i start the car, then it's likely due to the iRoad dashcam.

I can't verify this. But I think I'll just go ahead and try that. I don't really need park recording. Esp since nowadays due to COVID19 I drive less.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks.

Just to share:

I called a shop selling iRoad.

They told me that if I connect the iRoad to car battery, regardless of whether I have parking recording or not, the car will give a "Battery Warning" discharge.

If the battery warning discharge keeps appearing while driving, then it means something is wrong. If the battery discharge warning just appear once after i start the car, then it's likely due to the iRoad dashcam.

I can't verify this. But I think I'll just go ahead and try that. I don't really need park recording. Esp since nowadays due to COVID19 I drive less.
My sis' iRoad is wired to her car by Kah Motors, never hear of this 'battery warning'.

Mine is wired to my cigg + additional battery pack by my workshop, no such issue also?

hayashiryo

Reaction score
My sis' iRoad is wired to her car by Kah Motors, never hear of this 'battery warning'.

Mine is wired to my cigg + additional battery pack by my workshop, no such issue also?
Does your sis car have external battery pack?

I think yours don't have the warning because you're using external battery? Also, if your car auto cuts of electrical supply to the cig port, then it doesn't drain the car batt and so no warning.

What they will do for me is to connect the dashcam to my car batt directly instead of the cig port.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does your sis car have external battery pack?

I think yours don't have the warning because you're using external battery? Also, if your car auto cuts of electrical supply to the cig port, then it doesn't drain the car batt and so no warning.

What they will do for me is to connect the dashcam to my car batt directly instead of the cig port.
No, hers is stock from Kah Motors upon collection. Mine was installed after collection.

No warning, hers off engine, camera will off. Start engine will on.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.