Cathay Pacific or Air China?

fokkingfarmer

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Anyone has flown both airlines in economy before?

Thinking of booking either for a Return ticket, 20 hr journey to USA... Stopover in either hk or Beijing.

Cathay is ~$250 more expensive for round trip... But is it worth it? Heard Air China is not bad...
 

htngwilliam

Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2004
Messages
8,712
Reaction score
4
Air china is best airline in china but Cathay pacific wins anytime. If you are star alliance gold, can try Air China
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
I'd go for China Airlines, if flying solo (lounge access and miles accrual) but Cathay if flying with family / kids due to better product and service on Cathay.

Air china is best airline in china but Cathay pacific wins anytime.

My Chinese colleague will beg to differ on this.
 

grapewall

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
1,300
Reaction score
53
I'm booking a ticket to Beijing,and Air China is the cheapest at $532, direct. But I've seen lots of horrible reviews on this airline. Can somebody advise?
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
I'd go for China Airlines, if flying solo (lounge access and miles accrual) but Cathay if flying with family / kids due to better product and service on Cathay.

It's at least a 16 hr flight to the US versus a couple of hours in a lounge. :s22:
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,638
Reaction score
3,487
I've taken both Air China and Cathay Pacific before. I prefer Air China though. CX seems more 'rowdy' to me. I hate the 'noise' produced by the passengers on CX all the time. I don't seem to have this much of a problem with Air China or any other airlines.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,638
Reaction score
3,487
I'm booking a ticket to Beijing,and Air China is the cheapest at $532, direct. But I've seen lots of horrible reviews on this airline. Can somebody advise?

Are the tickets issued yet? If you have already bought the tickets, then what you want to do? Refund?

What other alternatives do you have? SQ for direct. There's only Air China and SQ direct. If not, take Malaysia Airlines or Air Asia via KL. Or take Scoot to Tianjin.

I've taken the red eye flights on Air China to Beijing. No problems or issues. Just board and sleep.
 

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
I'm booking a ticket to Beijing,and Air China is the cheapest at $532, direct. But I've seen lots of horrible reviews on this airline. Can somebody advise?
I'm sure you can go cheaper than that with other (budget) airlines, just have to be creative with routing / destination. If you are just looking for the cheapest, then there's not much to fuss about the quality / service. Afterall it is just SIN - PEK, mid/short-haul flights. The question here is how much more expensive is the other airlines. Also, some or few horrible reviews might not mean your flight will be horrible. It all depends on which flight attendants you get. I've had my fair share of shitty attendants as well as fantastic ones on the same airline, same route. Just that some airlines have more "fantastic" attendants than others.

It's at least a 16 hr flight to the US versus a couple of hours in a lounge. :s22:
Lol. If really flying alone or with friends, I'm actually fine, just bring ipad / books to self entertain. The seat is usually similar, then just bring some personal snacks along. Usually, plus a few movies, the reading and ipad will actually force you to sleep. Nowadays seats come with USB port so can actually charge iPad / phone inflight, or I usually bring portable charger just in case.

I've actually have hard time sleeping on SQ (even in first and business class) due to the multitude of movies available. To fly these "lesser" airlines (on my own dime) so that I can get miles for status as well as redeem flights on SQ first and business class for family.

I've taken both Air China and Cathay Pacific before. I prefer Air China though. CX seems more 'rowdy' to me. I hate the 'noise' produced by the passengers on CX all the time. I don't seem to have this much of a problem with Air China or any other airlines.
Depends on the crowd and the customer base too. Invest in a good noise blocking/cancelling earphones, then just pretty much ignore everyone else on the flight (even crying babies, as long as he doesn't kick my seatback).
 
Last edited:

harry1990

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2009
Messages
1,242
Reaction score
83
I would prefer Cathay Pacific more than Air China is because of PROS AND CONS:
PROS - Cathay Pacific has Inflight Entertainment System called StudioCX.
CONS - Air China, the no IFE for some of the flights from Singapore to Beijing or Chengdu.
PROS - Cathay Pacific is more comfortable.
CONS - Air China too bad, always cannot sleep well
PROS - Cathay Pacific, the seat belt sign has switch off so good.
CONS - Air China or other China Airplanes like China Eastern Airlines or China Southern Airlines, Seat belt sign is always be on.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Are the tickets issued yet? If you have already bought the tickets, then what you want to do? Refund?

What other alternatives do you have? SQ for direct. There's only Air China and SQ direct. If not, take Malaysia Airlines or Air Asia via KL. Or take Scoot to Tianjin.

I've taken the red eye flights on Air China to Beijing. No problems or issues. Just board and sleep.

SQ is super expensive, can easily buy you another ticket if travel with family. Both CX and Air China is a good choice. Other then that, try UA or Eva Air.
 

chimpchimp

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 14, 2006
Messages
1,684
Reaction score
0
The seats in Cathay when I flew from SG to JFK were uncomfortable, and also you cannot escape the mainlanders still. Best selling point of Cathay is the inflight entertainment which I feel is better than SQ's. Food is so-so, not that delicious.
 

IronMac

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2012
Messages
9,006
Reaction score
11
SQ is super expensive, can easily buy you another ticket if travel with family. Both CX and Air China is a good choice. Other then that, try UA or Eva Air.

UA is not in the same league as CX or Eva Air!

I've flown UA several times and I call them the cattle car of the skies. Delta is in the same league. ugh
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
UA is not in the same league as CX or Eva Air!

I've flown UA several times and I call them the cattle car of the skies. Delta is in the same league. ugh

You pay what you get. Most important if you have connection flight to other city in USA. It make you feel much easier to do it with airlines like UA or Delta.

Their new 787 arrangement is not bad.
 
Last edited:

fone

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2002
Messages
5,183
Reaction score
19
You pay what you get. Most important if you have connection flight to other city in USA. It make you feel much easier to do it with airlines like UA or Delta.

Their new 787 arrangement is not bad.

UA ain't cheap ex-SIN though plus the recent enhancement for paid alcohol for intra-Asia flights.
 

dilphinus

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
29,638
Reaction score
3,487
You pay what you get. Most important if you have connection flight to other city in USA. It make you feel much easier to do it with airlines like UA or Delta.

Their new 787 arrangement is not bad.

There's the US passes for domestic flights within the US of A. And also there's interline airlines deals for domestic flights as well. No big deal about flying UA or DL for 'better' flight connections within the USA.
 

fokkingfarmer

Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2012
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
The seats in Cathay when I flew from SG to JFK were uncomfortable, and also you cannot escape the mainlanders still. Best selling point of Cathay is the inflight entertainment which I feel is better than SQ's. Food is so-so, not that delicious.

Were there still tons of mainlanders on both the sg-hk and hk-jfk legs? I think the incentive to pay $200 more is to avoid that :o
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
UA ain't cheap ex-SIN though plus the recent enhancement for paid alcohol for intra-Asia flights.

Just booked UA from SGO to Arizona, Less then $1900 all in. With SQ, I would need to pay around $2500 and only to LA. I have to get separate ticket from LA to my final airport.

$1000 different can buy you lots of alcohol at your own choice, even at non duty free shop !!

If you travel with family of 4. The saving is great !
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
There's the US passes for domestic flights within the US of A. And also there's interline airlines deals for domestic flights as well. No big deal about flying UA or DL for 'better' flight connections within the USA.

The big deal is you do not have to switch to different terminals. And most important, the timing is just right for your on going connection.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top