Changing Chinese name in birth cert

Sharonyap2505

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
100
Reaction score
2
Hi is it possible to change Chinese character in my son's birth cert? It's actually not change name since hanyu pinyin is the same, but only change the Chinese character. Is it possible and how to do it?

I want to change 纴 to 仁.
(in case some of you can't understand Chinese, both characters are pronounced and spelled as "ren")

Also if its not possible, can parents just ignore the 纴 in the birth cert and use the 仁 in future registration like primary school registration etc..? Because from what I know, when registering full name, we register in English using the spelling "ren".

Its a genuine question cos me and my husband both f*ked up our Chinese language.
 

clee015

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi is it possible to change Chinese character in my son's birth cert? It's actually not change name since hanyu pinyin is the same, but only change the Chinese character. Is it possible and how to do it?

I want to change 纴 to 仁.
(in case some of you can't understand Chinese, both characters are pronounced and spelled as "ren")

Also if its not possible, can parents just ignore the 纴 in the birth cert and use the 仁 in future registration like primary school registration etc..? Because from what I know, when registering full name, we register in English using the spelling "ren".

Its a genuine question cos me and my husband both f*ked up our Chinese language.
I believe to officially change your name you would need to do a deed poll with lawyers and then register with ICA
 

LingBit

Senior Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2016
Messages
821
Reaction score
11
If I recall correctly, ica allows up to 1 year to make amendments to the birth certificate. They will take back the birth certificate and give you another slip of paper (which I don't recall what's the name). Maybe you can contact ica to find out more.
 
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
77,249
Reaction score
59
Hi is it possible to change Chinese character in my son's birth cert? It's actually not change name since hanyu pinyin is the same, but only change the Chinese character. Is it possible and how to do it?

I want to change 纴 to 仁.
(in case some of you can't understand Chinese, both characters are pronounced and spelled as "ren")

Also if its not possible, can parents just ignore the 纴 in the birth cert and use the 仁 in future registration like primary school registration etc..? Because from what I know, when registering full name, we register in English using the spelling "ren".

Its a genuine question cos me and my husband both f*ked up our Chinese language.

yes possible
if done before kid's 1st birthday then it's free for one and only one time at ICA,just go to level 2 birth registry to queue up,make sure no more mistakes lar

if elder than 1yo then need lawyer to sign a deed poll bring back to update ICA
 

Sharonyap2505

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2015
Messages
100
Reaction score
2
If I don't want to go through all the hassle of deed poll and such, can I just say from now on, his Chinese character is "仁" and just use this chinese character in his school? Under MOE registration, it is still the English "ren" spelling.

Do you guys know if MOE got record Chinese name as per birth cert in education-related registrations?

He is currently in preschool now. I'm thinking of changing his Chinese character before he enter primary school.
 
Joined
Jun 10, 2013
Messages
77,249
Reaction score
59
If I don't want to go through all the hassle of deed poll and such, can I just say from now on, his Chinese character is "仁" and just use this chinese character in his school? Under MOE registration, it is still the English "ren" spelling.

Do you guys know if MOE got record Chinese name as per birth cert in education-related registrations?

He is currently in preschool now. I'm thinking of changing his Chinese character before he enter primary school.

MOE copy everything from ICA record
 

BrOwnTeddy

Banned
Joined
Sep 18, 2012
Messages
41,580
Reaction score
5,731
If I don't want to go through all the hassle of deed poll and such, can I just say from now on, his Chinese character is "仁" and just use this chinese character in his school? Under MOE registration, it is still the English "ren" spelling.

Do you guys know if MOE got record Chinese name as per birth cert in education-related registrations?

He is currently in preschool now. I'm thinking of changing his Chinese character before he enter primary school.

Nope. You will NEED to do a deed poll if you want to change his registered Chinese Name in his birth certificate.

Even right down to a single stroke in the Chinese character.

You may think "Its a hassle." but there are real legal implications in changing the Mandarin character as it is legally not recognized as your Son's name.

And yes, MOE DOES record everything - lock stock barrel with regards for your son's name from his Birth Certificate which is matched against his records in ICA.

So if you were to arbitrarily change the strokes on your son's name and your son being none the wiser, follows what you or your husband had taught him writing his 仁 instead of the 纴 that is registered in the school's record, the school is only obliged to give him a zero in his exam papers because on record, such a student do not exist.

My recommendation is for you to contact a lawyer, get a deed poll done (check and double check again this time!), inform ICA of the change, bring your son down to ICA building after fixing an appointment to get the name changed on his records, bring his original birth certificate down as well as the original and certified true copy of the deed poll, where the ICA officer will promptly get the name change in your son's records, take back the original birth certificate and give you his BIRTH CERTIFICATE EXTRACT.

Oh, there's a charge of like $100 as well. Excluding GST. No cash allowed, all payments by card only.

He'll hold onto his Birth Certificate Extract until he turns 15 and applies for his first NRIC using his Birth Certificate Extract as well as his Deed Poll. Thereafter, once his NRIC had been made, his Birth Cert Extract as well as his Deed Poll can be locked up safely until the next bureaucratic admin procedure that requires verification of his blood relationship to you and your husband.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top