Cheap 2x16GB DDR4 kit

galapogos

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 30, 2000
Messages
30,098
Reaction score
42
Hi,

I'm looking to get a cheap 2x16GB DDR4 kit, but the cheapest I see are the fancy G.Skill/Kingston/Corsair ones that come with heatsinks and what not. I don't need that. I just need something basic like the Crucial PC4-19200 that according to most price lists can be bought separately. However, I know that these also come as kits. Are they available as kits locally?
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,728
Reaction score
1,554
Bare rams locally usually dont come in kits. They come in single pieces.
 

Phen8210

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
29,027
Reaction score
8,286
spend a bit more nvm one, 32GB of rams ain't cheap in the first place :o
 

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
I recommend checking at Amazon US. The price is quite good, although not every brand will be shipped to Singapore. And some don't come with free shipping even if you send above USD 125.
 

galapogos

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 30, 2000
Messages
30,098
Reaction score
42
Depends on your budget. But most shops won't sell those "bare" kits as they are... Not exciting... for the DIY buyers.

You can easily order from Newegg Singapore:

https://www.newegg.com/global/sg/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820242327

https://www.newegg.com/global/sg/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233914

But quite frankly at those prices you might as well get from the local Carousell/Marketplace section.
You're right. They're quite expensive, and those 2 links aren't even dual channel kits.

I recommend checking at Amazon US. The price is quite good, although not every brand will be shipped to Singapore. And some don't come with free shipping even if you send above USD 125.
Cool, will do. Any specific hot deals currently? I see a Crucial 2x16GB one that qualifies for free AmazonGlobal shipping, but the shipping timeframe is 1-4 weeks, sian 1/2.
 
Last edited:

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
You're right. They're quite expensive, and those 2 links aren't even dual channel kits.


Cool, will do. Any specific hot deals currently? I see a Crucial 2x16GB one that qualifies for free AmazonGlobal shipping, but the shipping timeframe is 1-4 weeks, sian 1/2.


Items on shipping time frame 1-4 weeks normally refer to items not readily in stock, but high degree of certainty they've procured some incoming shipments (back ordered).

Ideally you will want to get readily available ones since the free shipping will normally take under 2 weeks to arrive for iParcel (WMG/Speedpost). Aramex will vary abit more.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
You're right. They're quite expensive, and those 2 links aren't even dual channel kits.


Cool, will do. Any specific hot deals currently? I see a Crucial 2x16GB one that qualifies for free AmazonGlobal shipping, but the shipping timeframe is 1-4 weeks, sian 1/2.

The shipping time frame is very subjective. Sometimes it's really fast, sometimes may drag as long as 3 weeks. If you know of anyone with Prime subscription, you can try to get the person to buy for you because Prime shipping is much faster. While I was a Prime member, I typically receive my order in slightly more than a week.
 

Rashkae

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
22,372
Reaction score
80
You're right. They're quite expensive, and those 2 links aren't even dual channel kits.


Cool, will do. Any specific hot deals currently? I see a Crucial 2x16GB one that qualifies for free AmazonGlobal shipping, but the shipping timeframe is 1-4 weeks, sian 1/2.

Dual channel kits really only matter for the extremely overclocked RAM on motherboards that are very sensitive to RAM differences. Dual channel kits were more necessary in the old days.

Since you want ordinary, bare bones RAM and I doubt you're running an ancient rig, "dual channel kit" is just useless marketing gimmicks. Get 2 of the same sticks can liao
 

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 21, 2008
Messages
38,425
Reaction score
2,334
Knn.. just wait it out bah.. got high and low prices for memory. I hooted a 2x16gb kit around SGD150 from amazon late last year.. now more then double...

Just wait it out...
 

darren_soh86

Master Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2002
Messages
2,884
Reaction score
4
Dual channel kits really only matter for the extremely overclocked RAM on motherboards that are very sensitive to RAM differences. Dual channel kits were more necessary in the old days.

Since you want ordinary, bare bones RAM and I doubt you're running an ancient rig, "dual channel kit" is just useless marketing gimmicks. Get 2 of the same sticks can liao

second this. i been doing that since DDR2 days. i even mixed 2 pairs before. Kingston 2GB X 2 and Crucial 1GB X 2. Dual channel still works.
 

galapogos

Moderator
Moderator
Joined
Aug 30, 2000
Messages
30,098
Reaction score
42
Dual channel kits really only matter for the extremely overclocked RAM on motherboards that are very sensitive to RAM differences. Dual channel kits were more necessary in the old days.

Since you want ordinary, bare bones RAM and I doubt you're running an ancient rig, "dual channel kit" is just useless marketing gimmicks. Get 2 of the same sticks can liao

second this. i been doing that since DDR2 days. i even mixed 2 pairs before. Kingston 2GB X 2 and Crucial 1GB X 2. Dual channel still works.

This was my first option, but I heard there may be problems, so if price difference isn't huge, I don't mind buying the kit. If I buy 2 identical barebones sticks and they don't work properly, can I ask for an exchange/refund?
 

Encrypted11

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2012
Messages
5,937
Reaction score
271
If you're not overclocking, you run JEDEC DDR4 presets that are baked into the RAM.

The presets are determined by JEDEC, industry standard. Part of the reason why prebuilt boxes (hp, dell etc) these days that come with retailer "ram upgrades" use these individual kits and don't experience issues either.

Long story short is the motherboard will look for the fastest matching JEDEC SPD preset on all active RAM sticks and use that. This happens automatically.
 

Calikura

Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2011
Messages
110
Reaction score
0
This was my first option, but I heard there may be problems, so if price difference isn't huge, I don't mind buying the kit. If I buy 2 identical barebones sticks and they don't work properly, can I ask for an exchange/refund?

If modern RAM sticks of the same SKU (regardless of whether they were sold together as a "kit") don't play ball in dual channel, I would think there is some underlying fault with one/both of the sticks that warrants an RMA anyway.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top