Cloud storage vs Physical Hardisk

NightGhost

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2018
Messages
12,208
Reaction score
1,703
Buy cloud storage settle liao as long pay. Security wise I not store any sensitive photo or beedio so even do hacker willing to keep 1tb family photo n beedio just let him be. I don't think anyone will buy my photo or beedio.
HDD keep too spoil then jialat liao some more no label also forget simi inside
Nas after sometimes also will spoil + difficult setup n hardware need to change maybe after 6 years up then need to buy n transfer sibeh mafan any wrong data gg.
 

BusteR

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
151
Paid 800 to recover 2 raid1 hdd. After buy new synology nas sync daily rsync script, buy s3 storage sync weekly. Go read 321 backup rule.
 

Ender

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
18,354
Reaction score
7,992
If your main concern is protecting photos as keepsakes, cloud storage with a major provider like Google, OneDrive, or iCloud is safer. They replicate your data across regions, so even if one data center is destroyed, your photos survive elsewhere. A NAS gives you control and local speed, but it’s vulnerable to local disasters unless you set up off‑site backups.

Personally use Google photo for the family.
 

klim668

Supremacy Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2024
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
5,210
My NAS is running in Raid-1 with 2 different brands of harddisk. Same capacity.

Reason of getting another NAS and putting in another location is more on backup redundancy and safer backup.

Have you considered
1. What if the NAS hardware fails?
2. What if your neighbour's pmd catch fire or ur house caight fire that destroys your NAS?

My bro and I keep our 2nd backup NAS at each other's house. Every night the NAS will do a sync. Recently we set up a 3rd NAS and put at our parent's house, keeping another set of data as backup.
Wow, u took kiasu to the next level. 🤭
 

popsune1

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2005
Messages
32,947
Reaction score
41,408
If data not important use cloud storage. If data important use multiple hardisks.
 

charliebrown

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
28,259
Reaction score
4,837
simplification is e best solution.
u just need to ensure u have 2 copies of data.
no need to complicate stuff till so mafan....
 

BusteR

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2008
Messages
2,167
Reaction score
151
hah?! raid 1 mirroring also can failed? :crazy:
2nd hand old dlink NAS. 1st hdd already degraded but i didnt know. then 2nd hdd also gg.
i didnt really setup health check email notification, or periodic hdd scanning on old nas.
also didnt utlitze frequently DLNA (built-in media sharing) so yeah was kept in the dark for long time.
 

Stuffed

Master Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
3,161
Reaction score
456
I store my raw photos (about 35GB) in AWS S3. About 15 cents a month. No need to worry about redundancy, failure and stuff.
 

Stuffed

Master Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2008
Messages
3,161
Reaction score
456
Can share this. How come so cheap
As its just a backup after I upload to social media, I don't need to retrieve it unless an emergency happen.
Therefore I used their cheapest s3 glacial deep archive. Lowest cost but if need to retrieve will need hours (according to aws documentation; I have not done any retrieval in years).
 

davidtkl76

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2001
Messages
2,342
Reaction score
753
Hello EDMW!!

I have been struggling to get my Pc to read my hdd which holds around 400gb of photos / data

went to a shop for diagnosis and he said my hdd is corrupted . Will need data extraction / recovery as the computer can only see it as a usb , but non readable or writable anymore .

What I’m concerned now is , I still have 1tb of travels photos on my computer which I initially wanted to put into the hdd . But seems like I now have to find alternatives:

1) buy google drive storage and expand my google photo space to 2tb

2) buy another hdd but this time , maybe every 3 years have to buy another hdd in anticipation of failure

Which is the better choice and why ? I’m really so sad now
I have switched to cloud entirely.

Yes, its more expensive but I do not need to deal with the frustration and anger of losing by data when a HDD drive fails.

Also, my hardware last longer as my storage is as good as unlimited. Best of all, I can access my data from multiple devices when I am overseas.
 

duhduhduh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
14,971
Reaction score
1,162
Seems like two trains of thoughts leh

Feels like NAS gives you sense of control but the homework/work to be done is quite significant

For cloud storage which is the better one for cross platform? iOS/Android/macos/windows?
 

tootired

Master Member
Joined
Jun 23, 2024
Messages
2,726
Reaction score
1,987
As its just a backup after I upload to social media, I don't need to retrieve it unless an emergency happen.
Therefore I used their cheapest s3 glacial deep archive. Lowest cost but if need to retrieve will need hours (according to aws documentation; I have not done any retrieval in years).

better check on the integrity of data after so long


Read HWZ Forum Rules!
 

Anthelion

Junior Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2026
Messages
33
Reaction score
9
Using an old pc with 2 HDs for redundancy. I find 2.5" HD to have higher failure rates then 3.5" HD, but that is just my anecdotal experience.
 

firestyle

Master Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2022
Messages
3,200
Reaction score
2,793
BTW, anyone knows if any NAS can backup WhatsApp like how we configure to backup to G Drive/iCloud?
1. Install phone app (e.g FolderSync).

2. Locate the location of the WhatsApp backup file created.

3. Configure the app to perform the syncing of the file from your phone to your NAS at your preferred frequency.
 

UltraManG

Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2026
Messages
239
Reaction score
143
400gb not that big, if want longevity, why not buy SSD? I’m using Samsung and Western Digital SSD, 1 and 2 tb storage and I have 2 backup copies. No need worry server down or whatsoever
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top