Computer randomly shutting off

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Since yesterday, my computer keeps randomly shutting off (no shutting down screen, just powers down totally).
Can turn it on afterwards with no issue.

Initial suspicion was cpu temps, since recently cpu temps hitting 90+ degrees on load (no overclocking, just that thermal paste re-application may be overdue), but don't think so coz the random shutdown occurs even at idle temps (~60 degrees)

Since its my first time running into such issues, would appreciate some advice on this.
How do I pinpoint the problem?
My rig is stated on the right >>.
Thanks.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Yes, my suspicion is mobo/psu/processor, but I still need to pinpoint the problem to take steps to rectify.
Looking at event log, the event code is "Event 41, Kernel-Power".
It usually occurs about ~30min after I turn on the comp.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
have u tried using 1 ram in each slots to test and run is it ram that having issues?
next psu if u have another system maybe can test and see?
lastly use onboard gpu to test it.
 

mikengtw

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
35
I suspect could be PSU .. if you got friends could spare you another PSU might able
pin point the fault from there.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
I have tested ram individually, still have issues.
Gonna dig out spare power supply to try next I guess.

But can anyone advise on a better way to pinpoint the issue?
Coz due to the nature of this problem I have to spend like 30-40mins testing each *scenario* whenever I swap parts.
Testing RAM alone alr wasted about 4hrs of my time...

Would appreciate any help offered.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Swapped psu, still same problem.
Looks to be either mb or cpu (any idea how to test which?)
 

concept_fuel

Member
Joined
Oct 29, 2007
Messages
486
Reaction score
0
No choice still need to spend time to troubleshoot.
One way is to reboot the computer and enter CMOS setup as the computer is booting.
After you have loaded the computer in CMOS setup, let the computer sit for the duration that it will shutdown by itself. If it does than most likely I suspect is a motherboard issue.....if your system still remain on after an hour or two then most likely your OS is at fault or your system is infected with malware or virus....good luck.
 

greatgreenman

Senior Member
Joined
May 19, 2016
Messages
566
Reaction score
16
Your idle temps at at 60 degs?? That's pretty high. But if you're sure your problem is not due to overheating, then boot your pc to bios and leave it there for some time and see if it still shuts down on its own. Monitor the temps if you can. If nothing happens, then it may not even be a hardware issue at all.

If it does shut down, then mobo is likely the cause, if you've already tested your RAM and PSU that is. CPU failure is unlikely because it just rarely ever happens.

But before you make any replacements, be sure all your drivers are up to date. Update your bios if you need to, but be sure to backup your data 1st.
 

junjie433

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
37,259
Reaction score
6,092
Since yesterday, my computer keeps randomly shutting off (no shutting down screen, just powers down totally).
Can turn it on afterwards with no issue.

Initial suspicion was cpu temps, since recently cpu temps hitting 90+ degrees on load (no overclocking, just that thermal paste re-application may be overdue), but don't think so coz the random shutdown occurs even at idle temps (~60 degrees)

Since its my first time running into such issues, would appreciate some advice on this.
How do I pinpoint the problem?
My rig is stated on the right >>.
Thanks.

CPU temp hitting so high must be thermal paste or mobo liao. Try re-application of thermal paste first.
 

Trees

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2001
Messages
1,651
Reaction score
0
CPU is overheating and shuts down is to protect the CPU. Check the cooler on your cpu, by a third party cooler if necessary.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Thanks for your inputs. Some replies below.

1. I understand my temps are high. Not overclocking so I guess re-application of thermal paste will do.
Have ordered the thermal paste.

2. I understand that there is overheating protection for the cpu, which can cause these shutdowns.
My understanding is that these shutdowns, if caused by overheating, would happen when cpu temps reach a certain threshold? (do correct me if I'm wrong)
However, the problem still occurs when I'm just surfing the net (cpu temps ~50-60 degrees) - I don't think this will cause the overheating protection to kick in right?
I have installed "Speedfan" to monitor cpu temps.

3. The shut offs feels utterly random except for one factor.
It usually occurs at about ~30min runtime.
Dunno if there is any special meaning to this "rhythm", if there is, do enlighten.

4. I will try the BIOS thing.
Can viruses actually shut off the comp without the shutdown process?

5. This actually isn't the first time I've encountered issues.
My com has failed to boot on a few occasions. In such instances, I've got it to boot after a few tries.
This is, however, the first persistent issue that I cannot ignore.
 
Last edited:

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
what about u power down the plans to power saver mode and see if u still having random crash or not?
 

jtjt00

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
17,697
Reaction score
525
TS, try remove your HD7850 and use onboard GPU and see if shutdown occurs?
 

Hardcor3Zoner

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2005
Messages
168
Reaction score
0
Hi,

is ur cpu cooler fan & heatsink choked with dust? I'm having restarting probs once and after clearing the dust off, all is well ^^.U can reapply the thermal paste after that.Hope my entry hlps.
 
Last edited:

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Your idle temps at at 60 degs?? That's pretty high. But if you're sure your problem is not due to overheating, then boot your pc to bios and leave it there for some time and see if it still shuts down on its own. Monitor the temps if you can. If nothing happens, then it may not even be a hardware issue at all.

If it does shut down, then mobo is likely the cause, if you've already tested your RAM and PSU that is. CPU failure is unlikely because it just rarely ever happens.

But before you make any replacements, be sure all your drivers are up to date. Update your bios if you need to, but be sure to backup your data 1st.

Ok juz tried the BIOS thing, it shuts down by itself after awhile.
 

supa4

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2002
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
Hi
U might want to try these :
1. reset your Bios setting to default, see if problem persist? - if yes... mobo might have issue
2. unplug every thing(eg. cd rom, extra case fan) except essential component - this isolate PSU problem
3. may be can try to run windows in safe mode to see if it happens - this is to isolate any apps that causes CPU to be overload and shuts down...


my 2 cent of thoughts

BTW, was there any changes(patches, hardware) to your rig lately? can undo that as well...
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
what about u power down the plans to power saver mode and see if u still having random crash or not?

Tried it, even tried disabling CPU Overheating Protection in bios to try in case it's just the sensor going wonky.
Still same thing occurs.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top