Computer randomly shutting off

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Hi
U might want to try these :
1. reset your Bios setting to default, see if problem persist? - if yes... mobo might have issue
2. unplug every thing(eg. cd rom, extra case fan) except essential component - this isolate PSU problem
3. may be can try to run windows in safe mode to see if it happens - this is to isolate any apps that causes CPU to be overload and shuts down...


my 2 cent of thoughts

BTW, was there any changes(patches, hardware) to your rig lately? can undo that as well...

1. Just reset. Will try it.
2. I alr swapped out to my old psu, with a different set of cables.
Is this still necessary?
3. As earlier stated, problem occurs even within bios.
Do I still need to check in safe mode?
4. No changes to internal hardware in the recent months. software idk coz windows updates set to automatic.

Also, forgot to mention this but recently the boot up screen will show "case open detected".
I disabled the warning in bios shortly afterward based on what I found on the internet tho.
Not sure if it is related to this.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
so what are the methods u have tried? if all does not give u a good solutions, best u send it for rma, if u still have warranty.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
so what are the methods u have tried? if all does not give u a good solutions, best u send it for rma, if u still have warranty.

Tried seating ram in diff config, diff psu, and seeing whether issue occurs in bios.
Guess I should just rma it.

A question tho, how is the rma procedure like uh?
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Tried seating ram in diff config, diff psu, and seeing whether issue occurs in bios.
Guess I should just rma it.

A question tho, how is the rma procedure like uh?

this u should check with avertek bro and ask, im not sure about it :o
 

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
13,167
Reaction score
1,309
Bro I have been following your thread for the past few days.... still not yet resolve ah?

Have u tried take out the cmos battery to clear the cmos

Alternatively, u can try run a live Cd of any linux flavour to monitor the outcome as well...
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
So jialat meh? U got another battery? Check all ur power connectors is it plug to the mobo...

Yeah just managed to boot up.
Since a few months ago alr have this sort of issue, can't boot up then wait a bit and try again can alr.
Small issue so I didn't bother to troubleshoot, can use I happy liao.
But now comp turn keep turning off v.annoying... Can't ignore liao.

This kinda issue damn weird sia.
If I rma if the staff test boot, can boot up=conclude no prob then I rly LLST sia...
 

Op_Valkyrie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 9, 2009
Messages
13,167
Reaction score
1,309
Yeah just managed to boot up.
Since a few months ago alr have this sort of issue, can't boot up then wait a bit and try again can alr.
Small issue so I didn't bother to troubleshoot, can use I happy liao.
But now comp turn keep turning off v.annoying... Can't ignore liao.

This kinda issue damn weird sia.
If I rma if the staff test boot, can boot up=conclude no prob then I rly LLST sia...

U rma need to tell them it's intermittent issue. They need to run few hrs to test... I remember my rampage III also have some intermittent issue... fortunately for me, BL got spare so do 1 to 1 exchange.

Just rma liao... I think ur few days of tests already concluded this....:(
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
Yeah just managed to boot up.
Since a few months ago alr have this sort of issue, can't boot up then wait a bit and try again can alr.
Small issue so I didn't bother to troubleshoot, can use I happy liao.
But now comp turn keep turning off v.annoying... Can't ignore liao.

This kinda issue damn weird sia.
If I rma if the staff test boot, can boot up=conclude no prob then I rly LLST sia...
Well there are 2 choices u can go.
1) bring your mobo for them to test.
2) bring the whole system for them to troubleshoot.

1st option is that u confirm its mono.
2nd option is that ure uncertain able the issues.
Anyway give them a call and see if u want to do that.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Well there are 2 choices u can go.
1) bring your mobo for them to test.
2) bring the whole system for them to troubleshoot.

1st option is that u confirm its mono.
2nd option is that ure uncertain able the issues.
Anyway give them a call and see if u want to do that.

They will actually test the whole system uh?
I think I will bring down mobo + cpu. Since I basically rule out psu/ram alr so shld be either mobo or cpu. Unless it's the casing issue? haha :s13:
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
:eek: becoming more jialat... seem like mobo problem. mobo lifespan already how long liao?

close to 3 year old.
I've had my fair share of issues but lazy to do anything coz rma too mafan.
Until now, but srsly this issue I cannot tahan.
 

ZrE0_Cha0s

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
16,703
Reaction score
26
They will actually test the whole system uh?
I think I will bring down mobo + cpu. Since I basically rule out psu/ram alr so shld be either mobo or cpu. Unless it's the casing issue? haha :s13:
Well some distro does allow, some dun. And next casing issues is probably the standoff u didn't screw in correctly?
 

supa4

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2002
Messages
34
Reaction score
0
1. Just reset. Will try it.
2. I alr swapped out to my old psu, with a different set of cables.
Is this still necessary?
3. As earlier stated, problem occurs even within bios.
Do I still need to check in safe mode?
4. No changes to internal hardware in the recent months. software idk coz windows updates set to automatic.

Also, forgot to mention this but recently the boot up screen will show "case open detected".
I disabled the warning in bios shortly afterward based on what I found on the internet tho.
Not sure if it is related to this.

2. is your old PSU same power rating as existing? or higher? PSU might not be able to take extra load... hence it failed and shutdown. (thats what happened to mine, previously)

Another thing you can try is to reset your Motherboard CMOS, with some jumper setting (not sure if yours have or not) look at your manual to check for it. (sorry i am abit old school)

This will clear motherboard setting to factory default... (if you dont mind). See if it still occurs.

Like some of the guys here suggested, if its still under warranty, just send in to check. and get 1 to 1 exchange.

Good luck
 
Last edited:

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
2. is your old PSU same power rating as existing? or higher? PSU might not be able to take extra load... hence it failed and shutdown. (thats what happened to mine, previously)

Another thing you can try is to reset your Motherboard CMOS, with some jumper setting (not sure if yours have or not) look at your manual to check for it. (sorry i am abit old school)

This will clear motherboard setting to factory default... (if you dont mind). See if it still occurs.

Like some of the guys here suggested, if its still under warranty, just send in to check. and get 1 to 1 exchange.

Good luck

My old psu is 520w.
However I do think it should be able to support my components.
After changing out my psu back then, the only components added so far was an SSD and a HDD.
Furthermore, the problem occurs with both psu.

Yeah I took out the cmos battery and put it back in alr.
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
An update here: haven't had the time to make a trip to the RMA center, but I've pretty much ascertained one thing - the shutdown isn't random, it shuts off after about roughly 30min of runtime.
A quick google search yields some results - https://www.google.com.sg/search?q=...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=sRCIV5ijA5OBuASvjIGYAg
which, looking through the top results, pretty much points at the motherboard being faulty.

Thanks for all those who have offered your help!
Even those weird suggestions like those who suggested safe mode after I checked the issue in bios, or suggesting overheating being the cause when issue occurs with cpu at 60 degrees, I appreciate you trying to help!
 
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top