Contribution to Parents CPF

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
They are past 55 with 0 in oa and sa which my understanding is emptied into their ra at 55.

They don't really need the money. I think it's a good way to accrue interest. And to have tax relief off the contributions. But if the withdrawal is too slow also don't quite make sense in terms cash flow.

Sent from Samsung SM-N9005 using GAGT

If above 55 and under old scheme, monthly payout is minimum $297, I think, until whatever they have in RA is exhausted.
 

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
Thanks. Was looking at withdrawing from parents RA accounts instead. Confused on how the amount is calculated for withdrawal. Does it mean the higher the ra. More can be withdrawn? What is the duration to withdraw till? Average life expectancy?

Why bother with how withdrawal is calculated and the duration?

If parents under old min sum scheme, all you need to know is whatever in their RA plus interest is paid in equal instalments over a period from time of first drawdown to age of 82. However, the min monthly payout is 297, until amount in RA is exhausted. It's up to them to decide when to commence drawdown and of course, the later the higher the payout, though not really significant.
 

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
Either too rich or too dumb to think of transferring OA to kid's SA. Have you met the min sum for FRS.

I beg to differ on this statement. If the choice is with a endowment plan whose returns is around 3%, kids SA top is pretty a wise choice. 1st 60k at 5%. Is a good head start for those with kids.

I have planned this in mind. Have created their accounts recently but yet to execute.
 

orange_sky

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2016
Messages
1,233
Reaction score
0
I beg to differ on this statement. If the choice is with a endowment plan whose returns is around 3%, kids SA top is pretty a wise choice. 1st 60k at 5%. Is a good head start for those with kids.

I have planned this in mind. Have created their accounts recently but yet to execute.
Same here. Not sure whether to do a voluntarily top up to all 3 accounts or just to SA. And not sure how much to top up for the three kids
 

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
I will start with SA bah. Think any comfortable amount is good for the kids. But should not over stretch.

Beauty of 5% compounded interest.
 

badsector

Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 10, 2001
Messages
6,521
Reaction score
57
do you guys top up now for 2017 relief or wait till 1st Jan 2017?

edit: nvm found the answer
 
Last edited:

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
19,587
Reaction score
1,218
Will start with parent RA top up. May be 1-2k. CNY is coming though.
 

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
I also for the last few week have been thinking very hard whether to top up my parent's RA by transferring 41k (FRS limit) or 121.5k (ERS limit) from my OA :s22:

My main concern is that I still have outstanding housing loan of 310k with 78 months to service.

Financial wise, I should as the amount in his RA would be earning at least 4% compared to the present loan interest rate which is unlikely to rise to above 4%. But somehow, there still some reservations :s22:
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Problem with sa is that they can't touch it until 55

Don't think this is a problem if they have some spare money for day to day spending.
Interest rate is good and there is no reason to hold it in the bank vs CPF.

After retired. I gave money to my children to top up my own account. They get tax rebate and I get interest. Win win situation. More win is they use their own money to top up my account!
 
Last edited:

henrylbh

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2004
Messages
16,161
Reaction score
864
Anyone knows why my father was allowed to withdraw all his RA balance (about $4,821) at one go some years back? Before that he was getting monthly payout of $297.
 

vince123123

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2000
Messages
2,237
Reaction score
2
Not too familiar with CPF stuffs, but supposing I have a parent who is 70 years old this year. I would like to give a monthly allowance to this parent via contributing to the parent's CPF (RA?) and get tax relief at the same time. Would this fall under the $7k tax relief scheme and if so, can the 70 year old parent withdraw the money as and when he likes or are there certain conditions?
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top