CPF Accounts Value Thread 2022

rokawa2

Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, I think you're making a big assumption that isn't supported by the available facts. But what do you mean?

One straightforward way to get the balances you see is to work and earn a decent (not necessarily high flying) paycheck, make monthly OA to SA transfers (of many or all OA dollars), make some Voluntary Contributions to MediSave (with tax relief) and/or cash top ups to SA (with tax relief), and pay mostly cash for a housing down payment -- perhaps with a little help from a generous family member and/or modest bequest. It's just basic application of the rules available, and of course working and earning a living. And there's nothing precluding additional saving/investing outside CPF.
am not saying only a high flyer can achieve this.

Yes to get the balance is achievable less than 9 years after accounting for contribution ceiling per year without factoring in the high interest earned annually. If i understood correctly that if normal cpf (Employer/employee) contribution a year is 35,000. then can only top up 2,740 becoz CPF limit to 37,740 per year right?
So a high flyer would also have the same limitations. The only difference is the Cash balance after top up CPF will be different. A high flyer will have more capital balance to invest in assets.

Nvm abt my enquiry already. I realized that there could be different interpretation of Investment Assets.
Home (Exclude a 2nd real estate), CPF, insurances are not Investment Assets to me becoz I cannot monetize my Home where will i stay. Lets not go the downgrade part. Astute Parent shared about it eloquently. There are many other costs during a buy/sell transaction of a home which eats up return. He emphasized time period before some say earn a lot flipping real estates. CPF i can only access when 65-70 since its locked and only through an annuity. A Home's value is locked as I need a place to stay, CPF is locked until im very old, I didnt interpret them as Investment Assets.

So coming back to a high flyer, with more capital balance, he can invest in more Investment Assets (additional saving/investing outside CPF) and thus the ratio of his Invesment Assets vs total Net Worth will be considered "healthy.
But a decent or below decent income earner, lets say he normal cpf contribution is 25k, he will topup 12,740 in cash to achieve that high CPF SA balance over time. Yup can be done but it means he has even lesser capital to invest in Investment Assets.

So for me
(Shares + FD + Bonds + High interest accts etc)/(Net Worth)
but probably most other ppl
(CPF + Home + Shares + FD + Bonds + High interest accts etc)/(Net Worth)

I wasnt indicating that only high flyer can achieve high CPF SA :p
But at 31, did he sacrificed too much of his ability to accumulate liquid Investment Asset due to focusing on CPF SA.

polyglob

Reaction score
But at 31, did he sacrificed too much of his ability to accumulate liquid Investment Asset due to focusing on CPF SA.

Bro, your signature indicating 4k/mth = 48k pa passive income is impressive. Care to share? (Edit: Share more details, I mean, haha)

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am not saying only a high flyer can achieve this.
OK....
Yes to get the balance is achievable less than 9 years after accounting for contribution ceiling per year without factoring in the high interest earned annually. If i understood correctly that if normal cpf (Employer/employee) contribution a year is 35,000. then can only top up 2,740 becoz CPF limit to 37,740 per year right?
No, wrong. You can top up your Special Account to the Full Retirement Sum in one go if you wish. You can even deposit $192,000 (the entire 2022 Full Retirement Sum) into any Singaporean citizen newborn's Special Account as long as you have the recipient's NRIC/birth certificate number.

Also, starting this year, you can deposit as many dollars as you wish into anyone's MediSave Account, in one go, as long as it fits within the Basic Healthcare Sum.

I don't think anything like these actions occurred in this case, and they certainly didn't with respect to MediSave since the CPF Annual Limit was a constraint prior to this year. But the CPF Annual Limit has never applied to SA top ups and now doesn't apply to MA voluntary contributions either.
So a high flyer would also have the same limitations.
Nope.
The only difference is the Cash balance after top up CPF will be different. A high flyer will have more capital balance to invest in assets.
Not really, not necessarily. First of all CPF is an asset too. I think you meant other assets. Second, one very effective way to jack up your Special Account very quickly is to transfer some or all OA dollars to your SA every month. Many people can do that while still chasing their housing in exactly the same way. Heck, HDB even encourages OA to SA transfers because you can only keep a maximum of $20,000 in your OA when you take a HDB loan and pick up the keys. The rest is swept into your leasehold purchase. The easiest way to prevent the sweep is to transfer OA dollars to SA...yours or someone else's (such as a spouse's).

Run the numbers, folks! I think you'll find OA to SA transfers in some amount can often be quite compelling — for the middle class, too. Isn't there that "$1 million in CPF" guy talking about this? And you can still get your house and accumulate a stock index fund, for example. Not always, situations vary, but this sort of scenario isn't surprising to me.
Nvm abt my enquiry already. I realized that there could be different interpretation of Investment Assets.
Home (Exclude a 2nd real estate), CPF, insurances are not Investment Assets to me becoz I cannot monetize my Home where will i stay.
Well, you typically can. You can rent out a room, and you can "downgrade." There's also the HDB Lease Buyback Scheme, but let's leave that one aside. I think it's reasonable to include the portion of your primary residence that's monetizable as, well, a monetizable asset.

CPF MA is reasonably liquid for medical care and premiums, and CPF OA is liquid for housing and education in Singapore. Even before 55. They count, maybe with asterisks. Insurance policies with surrender values are obviously monetizable assets, too. Just ring the insurance company (or a third party buyer) and get a check.
Lets not go the downgrade part.
Why not? Either it's possible or it isn't. You might be conflating value judgments with simple accounting. Value judgments can go anywhere, really. You might feel that you cannot possibly survive without Beluga caviar on your toast at least 3 times per week, and that's fine, but nobody else must feel the same way. You evidently prefer certain types of assets for whatever reasons, and that's probably fine. Others may prefer other types of assets, and that's probably fine, too. They're still assets. (Well, caviar probably isn't.)
Astute Parent shared about it eloquently. There are many other costs during a buy/sell transaction of a home which eats up return. He emphasized time period before some say earn a lot flipping real estates.
"So what?" Who brought up flipping real estate?
CPF i can only access when 65-70 since its locked and only through an annuity.
No, that's not correct, not as a generalization. CPF OA is liquid for housing and education in Singapore -- and this 31 year old has plenty of it, and more OA monthly cashflow since MA=BHS and SA>=FRS. CPF MA is liquid for medical care and medical premiums in Singapore, up to limits. CPF OA and SA in excess of the FRS (or often as low as the BRS) are liquid cash from age 55. $5,000 of RA is liquid at 55, and the rest of 20% liquid at 65...

...And so what? Liquidity constraints would be relevant if this 31 year old had insufficient liquidity. He clearly doesn't. He has a roof over his head, over $60K in his OA (never mind his spouse's), and extra OA landing every month and every year because his MA allocation and interest are in "double spillover." He's doing GREAT from all appearances. Bravo, really.
A Home's value is locked as I need a place to stay, CPF is locked until im very old, I didnt interpret them as Investment Assets.
OK, whatever you like I guess. You're planning to die before age 55 then? Sorry to hear that. Meanwhile this 31 year old and his spouse (I believe) have already locked down their age 55+ foundational financial security, and they have more power (not less) to accumulate and growth their wealth. Indeed, what else was he supposed to do? What grave sin did he commit? CPF compulsory contributions are, well, compulsory. He just worked, earned a decent (but not necessarily high) salary, probably did some/many OA to SA transfers, still got his house, and...seriously, what's not to like? It sure looks wonderful to me!
So coming back to a high flyer, with more capital balance, he can invest in more Investment Assets (additional saving/investing outside CPF) and thus the ratio of his Invesment Assets vs total Net Worth will be considered "healthy.
So you say, but those balances can be fully explained by compulsory contributions or, at most, modest additional voluntary ones (no doubt with tax relief, and tax savings can be invested outside CPF). And look at his OA, and the higher inflow to it. That's even after $18K used for housing, and he'll have no problem servicing his mortgage from OA alone for years even if all income ceases. AND he and his wife should be fine 65+. So all they gotta do is at least bridge to 65, but I suspect they'll crush it if they're even halfway responsible...and live happily ever after.
But a decent or below decent income earner, lets say he normal cpf contribution is 25k, he will topup 12,740 in cash to achieve that high CPF SA balance over time. Yup can be done but it means he has even lesser capital to invest in Investment Assets.
No, you're just wrong as an *assumption*. You can get to that 31 year old's balances (or close anyway) at $25K/year for 9 years if you simply transfer all OA dollars to SA along the way. Make it $30K per year (still $7.4K below the CPF Annual Limit), or add in the Additional MediSave Contribution Scheme and things like NSman grants, and that math is a slam dunk. No further explanation required.

You seem hung up on the *possibility* that he put a few voluntary dollars into CPF...to earn steady 5% interest (for the first $60K) and tax relief! And maybe to cycle dollars through MediSave that have to be spent on MediShield Life anyway. Or maybe a grandparent popped $10K into his Special Account when he was a kid. You have NO IDEA, you assume way too much, and then you criticize a decision he might not have even made -- a decision, as it happens, would have been a good one. (5%! Tax relief!)

No, I don't agree. He done GOOD.
So for me
(Shares + FD + Bonds + High interest accts etc)/(Net Worth)
Fixed deposits?!?! You're holding fixed deposits and criticizing this guy?!?!? "High interest accounts"?
but probably most other ppl
(CPF + Home + Shares + FD + Bonds + High interest accts etc)/(Net Worth)
In all probability no, he didn't. What part of life is he not enjoying now...and sitting pretty?

sg_lancelot

Reaction score

I've done RSTU for a couple years to lock in some tax savings (< $7k a year), while also doing OA > SA transfers here and there. Have already reached FRS in 2020.

I'd say my only regret is transferring too much from OA to SA early on, limiting the amount of tax relief I'm able to get now and in the future. SRS is another option for tax relief for me, but it doesn't align well with my financial goals.

Also you are right in the sense that I'm still not at my target allocation for my higher risk investment vehicles (e.g. equities) in proportion to my overall portfolio. In hindsight, with 2020 and 2021 being such a strong bull market, I wished my equities allocation was higher and CPF lower. But I wouldn't go as far as saying I sacrificed too much of my ability to accumulate liquid investment assets.

Last edited:

rokawa2

Reaction score
Bro, your signature indicating 4k/mth = 48k pa passive income is impressive. Care to share? (Edit: Share more details, I mean, haha)
oh mine is just simple. Collect dividends from shares/REITS mainly
Rebates from credit cards
Gifts from U-save, SCC rebates, GST voucher
1% interest from cash holdings.
High yield bond funds.
Rental for 1 common bedroom to tenant.

Shares/REITS is the standard like from most bloggers. My goal is just based on dividends as the primary wealth gain. Capital gain is a bonus. I dont like to sell to earn. I like to hold and earn. Ah means i dun go to US market.
Credit card i used SMRT citi card becoz there is no cap. min mthly is $500 to achieve 5% rebate.
Another credit card i used is UOB One. Min mthly is also $500 but shopee give another 5%. so 3.33%+5% worth of rebates. Provide me good rebates for my spending which is mainly bills, groceries and shopee.
1% interest from singlife and UOB One account if got 75k. Interest contribution very low now.

Since this passive income alone can provide savings after expense deduction, this savings + employed income give substantial capital yearly. So eventually the capital is invested into shares/REITs again.
So since investment started, avg passive income gave me an extra $268 per mth while my net basic salary increment is slower at $116. So every year on average so far, i increase my total income ard $380 per mth. So as passive income grew, the accumulated capital also grew and in a "non-vicious" cycle get redeploy into assets to grow again the passive income. So-called compounding effect. This excludes bonuses contribution and AWS.

Have a clear goal. Track your finances. As you accumulate wealth, it will motivate you. In the beginning, getting my 1st avg mthly dividend of $46.67 from DBS equating to can pay hp bill was personally very motivating for me. I'm not a degree graduate, and due to family circumstances, unlike most people who feel eh empowered haha after getting their 1st paycheque, I only had $400 disposable income from a salary of $1500. $300 CPF took. $800 to support mother and 4 younger siblings. So achieving that second stream of income no matter how small carry me through these 13 investing years. My goal was to achieve 2k passive income by 2020. In 2019 I achieved beyond that and aim a new goal of 4k by age 40 in 2024.
Possible motivation could be the ability to tell your boss (doesnt mean u really go tell la. i didnt haha) "boss i grow my income more than company annual increment me or promotion salary raise"
"Boss i pay myself higher than company basic salary pay me le"
And when passive income is nearing my net pay, "Cloning myself soon to earn same lvl of income" haha.
When i first started work, there really wasnt any light in the tunnel. So understanding the concept of creating a second stream of income and slowly building up the income is personally a very strong motivation by itself. With each increment, the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter.
Additionally originating from fairly low incomes (Wife was always a Part Timer, had stopped working since end 2020), desire for luxury did not develop as in no lifestyle inflation. So expenses more or less maintain while income keep rising and savings get invested. ANd if wondering why got GST voucher, yes becoz of her haha.

CPF i only had 1 goal. To use OA for mortgage haha. It was fortunate I did not transfer my accumulating OA to SA after i finished paying my 3-room HDB. Yea my wife and I total salary is ard $3k and we eligible to buy 3 room BTO in 2009. When our son came, the flat become eh "small" haha and we moved to a 4 room. So the OA accumulates after 3 room loan ended was useful in ensuring another small manageable loan for the 4 room. Mortgage finishing soon 12-16 mth timeframe. So im also finding motivation to top up CPF SA haha. its hard. hahaha.

Prof. Utonium

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
High yield bond funds.

Shares/REITS is the standard like from most bloggers. My goal is just based on dividends as the primary wealth gain. Capital gain is a bonus. I dont like to sell to earn. I like to hold and earn. Ah means i dun go to US market.
Credit card i used SMRT citi card becoz there is no cap. min mthly is $500 to achieve 5% rebate.
Another credit card i used is UOB One. Min mthly is also $500 but shopee give another 5%. so 3.33%+5% worth of rebates. Provide me good rebates for my spending which is mainly bills, groceries and shopee.
1% interest from singlife and UOB One account if got 75k. Interest contribution very low now.

Since this passive income alone can provide savings after expense deduction, this savings + employed income give substantial capital yearly. So eventually the capital is invested into shares/REITs again.
So since investment started, avg passive income gave me an extra $268 per mth while my net basic salary increment is slower at $116. So every year on average so far, i increase my total income ard $380 per mth. So as passive income grew, the accumulated capital also grew and in a "non-vicious" cycle get redeploy into assets to grow again the passive income. So-called compounding effect. This excludes bonuses contribution and AWS.

Have a clear goal. Track your finances. As you accumulate wealth, it will motivate you. In the beginning, getting my 1st avg mthly dividend of $46.67 from DBS equating to can pay hp bill was personally very motivating for me. I'm not a degree graduate, and due to family circumstances, unlike most people who feel eh empowered haha after getting their 1st paycheque, I only had $400 disposable income from a salary of $1500. $300 CPF took. $800 to support mother and 4 younger siblings. So achieving that second stream of income no matter how small carry me through these 13 investing years. My goal was to achieve 2k passive income by 2020. In 2019 I achieved beyond that and aim a new goal of 4k by age 40 in 2024.
Possible motivation could be the ability to tell your boss (doesnt mean u really go tell la. i didnt haha) "boss i grow my income more than company annual increment me or promotion salary raise"
And when passive income is nearing my net pay, "Cloning myself soon to earn same lvl of income" haha.
When i first started work, there really wasnt any light in the tunnel. So understanding the concept of creating a second stream of income and slowly building up the income is personally a very strong motivation by itself. With each increment, the light at the end of the tunnel gets brighter.
Additionally originating from fairly low incomes (Wife was always a Part Timer, had stopped working since end 2020), desire for luxury did not develop as in no lifestyle inflation. So expenses more or less maintain while income keep rising and savings get invested. ANd if wondering why got GST voucher, yes becoz of her haha.

CPF i only had 1 goal. To use OA for mortgage haha. It was fortunate I did not transfer my accumulating OA to SA after i finished paying my 3-room HDB. Yea my wife and I total salary is ard $3k and we eligible to buy 3 room BTO in 2009. When our son came, the flat become eh "small" haha and we moved to a 4 room. So the OA accumulates after 3 room loan ended was useful in ensuring another small manageable loan for the 4 room. Mortgage finishing soon 12-16 mth timeframe. So im also finding motivation to top up CPF SA haha. its hard. hahaha.

Not exactly a Singaporean Dream, since we do not have such notion but your feat and determination is admirable.

Congrats mate.

peterlim95

Reaction score
Anybody here did lease buyback scheme before ? How long does the whole process take from initial consultation with hdb to signing of documents? 3 months ?

dappermen

Banned
Reaction score
so many threAD on cpf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.theedgesingapore.com/ca...f-tweaks-help-you-achieve-retirement-adequacy
c28d5d-cpf-chart.JPG

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
High yield bond funds.

$4K a year passive income is not that difficult. $100k with 4% dividend will do.
$4K per mth is totally different thing. :LOL:

Mephist0pheLes

Master Member
Reaction score
it is clear that the the picture has been photoshopped.

25k a year for 50 years compounding at 2.5% gives 2.4mil. the cpfis investment has to win him another 156 mil. not mathematically possible

thanks for pointing out it is not possible Sherlock. another way to tell is when u click the pic, u can see the title of the pic is 'fake'.
but nope, not photoshopped.

Abide.

Reaction score
High yield bond funds.

I like the detailed explanation and how you laid out your plan for retirement plans. Small steps along the way which leads to bigger things down the road. Something which I am trying to accomplish as well. Have a realistic but sensible plan, and execute it

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mid-year check: I finally reach $300k in my OA after starting the housing refund process this year :D

I still owe about $170k to myself :p

dork32

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mid-year check: I finally reach $300k in my OA after starting the housing refund process this year :D

I still owe about $170k to myself :p
i would rather max out the ssb at current rates than do housing refund

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I agree! Or even the 2+ year SGS offered at auction this month that’ll probably yield ~2.4%. Which throws off coupons you can reinvest (to boost yield), so I think it’s basically tied with CPF OA but much more liquid. If you expect to hold that one to maturity it’s a good option in comparison.

In the current environment I would not be repaying OA, not generally. It’s not comparatively attractive at present.

andyhtc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

My intention is only to put inside my OA for 4 more years, then clear my housing loan in one shot when my lock-in expires. SSB for 4 years is about 2.47%, which is around the CPF 2.5%. I'm also refunding $4k on a monthly basis, so the transaction cost will be a disadvantage for SSB.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.