CPU Upgrade. Please help advise!

popimac

Master Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
2,853
Reaction score
1
Hi people,

My CPU is 5 years old now. Specifications as follow:

- Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz Quad Core Processor
- Asrock H61M-U3S3 (B3) Motherboard
- Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Memory x 02
- MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr III Hawk 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card
- Samsung 1TB 3.5" 32MB Cache Sata II HDD
- Sony 880S 24x Sata DVD rewriter drive
- FSP Aurum Gold 500W PSU
- Coolermaster Elite 341 MATX Chassis with Blue LED fan
- OS Win7 Home Premium

I hope to retain at least some parts for the upgrade and I intend to continue to use it for gaming such as Battlefield 4 etc and watching movies/dramas on HD.

Thanks in advance!
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
I would suggest in order of priority -

(1) SSD
(2) GPU - RX 480, GTX 1060 or 1070
(3) 2X4GB RAM
(4) i7-2600 or i7-3770 (second-hand)
 

Appl3.Pur3.t3a

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2010
Messages
1,745
Reaction score
0
I would suggest best to install a fresh copy of OS in ur ssd and reformat the hdd for ur games and multimedia stuffs.
 

mradorable

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2008
Messages
52
Reaction score
0
I would suggest best to install a fresh copy of OS in ur ssd and reformat the hdd for ur games and multimedia stuffs.

Sorry to hijack thread, I have a noob question for installing fresh copy of OS on SSD. :s11:

If I am on Win 7 home and free upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD, if I do fresh install of OS on a new SSD, I will not be able to get the free Win 10 as of now right?

Thank you.
 

Koenig168

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 4, 2007
Messages
10,072
Reaction score
1,766
Thanks! Do I need to reformat in order to upgrade or add SSD?

It is not necessary to reformat your HDD when you upgrade.

When you add a SSD, there are tools to migrate the contents of your HDD (including the OS) to SSD.

The better approach is to do a fresh install of OS and programs on the SSD, backup the data on your HDD, reformat your HDD and use it for data only.

Sorry to hijack thread, I have a noob question for installing fresh copy of OS on SSD. :s11:

If I am on Win 7 home and free upgrade to Win 10 on my current HDD, if I do fresh install of OS on a new SSD, I will not be able to get the free Win 10 as of now right?

Thank you.

You already have the Win 10 digital entitlement on your MB BIOS. Just install Win 10 on the SSD and skip the parts asking for product code. After installation, Win 10 will connect automatically to the internet and activate.
 

SECTORTWO

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2005
Messages
636
Reaction score
44
Hi people,

My CPU is 5 years old now. Specifications as follow:

- Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz Quad Core Processor
- Asrock H61M-U3S3 (B3) Motherboard
- Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Memory x 02
- MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr III Hawk 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card
- Samsung 1TB 3.5" 32MB Cache Sata II HDD
- Sony 880S 24x Sata DVD rewriter drive
- FSP Aurum Gold 500W PSU
- Coolermaster Elite 341 MATX Chassis with Blue LED fan
- OS Win7 Home Premium

I hope to retain at least some parts for the upgrade and I intend to continue to use it for gaming such as Battlefield 4 etc and watching movies/dramas on HD.

Thanks in advance!

A bit OCD but CPU = the processor itself...not the whole tower/system. :p
 

popimac

Master Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2011
Messages
2,853
Reaction score
1
Hi people,

My CPU is 5 years old now. Specifications as follow:

- Intel Core i5 2400 3.1GHz Quad Core Processor
- Asrock H61M-U3S3 (B3) Motherboard
- Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333Mhz CL9 Memory x 02
- MSI GTX 560 TI Twin Frozr III Hawk 1GB PCI-E Graphics Card
- Samsung 1TB 3.5" 32MB Cache Sata II HDD
- Sony 880S 24x Sata DVD rewriter drive
- FSP Aurum Gold 500W PSU
- Coolermaster Elite 341 MATX Chassis with Blue LED fan
- OS Win7 Home Premium

I hope to retain at least some parts for the upgrade and I intend to continue to use it for gaming such as Battlefield 4 etc and watching movies/dramas on HD.

Thanks in advance!
If I upgrade my Gpu to GTX1000 series only, will my processor and motherboard able to support efficiently?

Just wondering if these two parts will be the bottleneck.

TIA!

Sent from OnePlus ONE A2003 using GAGT
 

LegendZenify

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
2,141
Reaction score
66
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top