CR7 breaks silence

haiyata

Master Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2018
Messages
4,978
Reaction score
2,131
We ended that meeting with the Coach asking me for a hug, promising me he would say at the press conference exactly what he had just said to me, and that the matter would be resolved. I would not play in Denmark but would play the match at the Dragão. All of this took place in the presence of Simão Coutinho, as always.

At the Coach's request, a subsequent videoconference meeting took place between himself, Simão Coutinho, and Tiago Craveiro, summarizing what we had discussed.

A brief document was drafted, which I personally validated and which, to my knowledge, was delivered to the Coach, just as he had requested.

The press conference turned out as everyone saw: his demeanor had nothing to do with our private meeting. I heard expressions and an aggressiveness that I believe I do not deserve, a "my way or the highway" attitude that he had never shown me, not even remotely, in private the day before.

The notes I had validated were as follows:

"I think it’s important, simply because it is the truth, to clarify a few things before talking about Denmark:

  1. I myself proposed a plan to Cristiano, without anyone else involved, for this sporting season with the National Team. It was a long and very positive conversation.
  2. I know how much he lives and loves the National Team and the weight he carries in the world, and even more so, the positive influence and weight he has had on the National Team for 24 consecutive years.
  3. The plan I proposed to Cristiano was accepted.
  4. He never questioned my choices. He was exemplary, loyal, and professional.
  5. The Norway match was not part of the plan I outlined for him. However, I felt he had recovered physically from the first game and warned him that I might need to use him. Cristiano agreed.
  6. I made a mistake by having someone of Pelé or Maradona's stature warm up only to not put him in the game. If it were today, I wouldn't do it.
  7. To put the matter to rest: I want Cristiano in the National Team. In fact, I don’t just want him a little; I want him a lot. Fortunately, he also believes in me. He believed in me at Al Nassr, and he does here too.
  8. Regarding not greeting the fans: We’ve already talked about this. Someone who has played over 230 games for the National Team doesn't need lessons from me on love for Portugal. It was a moment of frustration that doesn't erase anything. He is the player who signs the most autographs, takes the most selfies, and shows the most affection to the fans. Let’s not invent problems where none exist. When we aren’t happy, we react. That’s all it was.”
None of these notes stated, therefore, that the coach owed me an apology.

It was the second time he had broken his given word.

I decided to leave the camp without waiting for any further broken promises. For me, truth remains the most important element in relationships between people. As painful as it may be, tell me the truth.

In fact, in a conversation I had with the FPF President and the Coach on the morning of that press conference—they can surely confirm this—I reiterated that if they no longer wanted me there, they should just tell me. Just be honest with me. I would accept that, and I promised we would prepare something beautiful, as I dream of happening, and no one would be upset.

I remember it as if it were today. They answered in unison: No. My place was in the National Team.

Never, at any point, have I interfered in any technical or tactical decision of any coach or manager in nearly 25 years of career. I accept, for better or worse, what I am asked to do. I respect the decision, but when my trust is broken, I feel my place is no longer there.

I also owe an apology to my National Team teammates for leaving the camp. Despite the absolute breach of trust in the Coach's word—as witnessed by those present during these conversations—I should not have done it. The responsibility is exclusively mine.

I apologize once again to the Portuguese people, but breaking one's word has a defining impact on me. I felt that, from that moment on, my presence would only harm the working group, so I did what I always said I would do if I didn't feel useful: I packed my bags and left.

The consequences of this action must be evaluated and punished by the Portuguese Football Federation. I understand that the punishment should carry no mitigating factors. I am not just any player; I am the team captain, which constitutes an aggravating factor. I have already apologized, but I know actions must have consequences. Anyone in football, in my position, knows that regardless of individual status, the rules apply equally to everyone.

On this note, I have heard a lot of talk about farewell matches, about how I deserve a dignified send-off, and that the Federation wants to give me that opportunity.

I learned in life, often hungry and with nothing to eat, that nobody gives anything to anybody.

I can promise all my fans, naturally, and especially all the Portuguese people, that we will hold one or more farewell matches; there will be time for that.

But when I think about the National Team, what I truly think about is competing. That is what I thought about on the day I received the news of my father's passing. I was at a National Team camp and decided to stay until the next day's match was over. I did that for my Country, something I would never do for any club.

Therefore, if I am physically fit, playing at my club, and scoring goals hopefully, after serving whatever suspension is applied to me, I will be available, as I have always been, to compete and win for our National Team.

Believe me, this is the purest truth.

Cristiano Ronaldo

6th October 2026
 

haiyata

Master Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2018
Messages
4,978
Reaction score
2,131
x5AuPwM.gif
 

Hyruga

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2007
Messages
23,454
Reaction score
5,292
Jorge is pretending to be diplomatic and nice but purposely add on the flames by naming Pele and Maradona.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top