Customized Gaming Rig or Off the Shelf

hayashiryo

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Hi. I'm looking to buy a new gaming desktop. Does any1 have recommendation for a budget of $1,300? I don't need monitor. Just a desktop will do. Thanks
 

shunsuu

Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
473
Reaction score
13
it depends on how familiar you are with the components. Aftershock pcs are decently priced. The markup is quite small compared to bigger companies like dell alienware. You don't get to worry about warranty as well due to on site warranty packages.
 

hayashiryo

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Hi. Thanks for the advice and I'll check out aftershock.

I'm not familiar with components. If I were to customized, I'll just go to a shop to buy all the components and get them to install for me. In the past, I was told it's cheaper and reliable to choose my own components and have it assembled compared to buying off the shelf. I'm wondering if that's still true.
 

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
41,244
Reaction score
5,669
It depends if you have the know how to fix the computer parts together. The advantages is you get to customise the hardware or buy the best deal. But could be troublesome if a part is dead on arrival, so expect a 10% probability that something may not work and you need to get it replaced.
 

_DeS__

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
1,650
Reaction score
22
Hi. Thanks for the advice and I'll check out aftershock.

I'm not familiar with components. If I were to customized, I'll just go to a shop to buy all the components and get them to install for me. In the past, I was told it's cheaper and reliable to choose my own components and have it assembled compared to buying off the shelf. I'm wondering if that's still true.

Not true now. For below 1.5k budget Aftershock's value is unbeatable.
 

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
21,056
Reaction score
1,513
If you don't know how to put the rig together yourself, then it defeat the purpose for customized rig. Afterall, the purpose of customize rig is to put together the best deal and best deal often available from variety of sources and not one source.
 

Hailgod

Master Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2013
Messages
3,916
Reaction score
309
if u are getting aftershock bolt, upgrade the ssd from 500gb to 1tb. only 20$ more
 

shunsuu

Member
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
473
Reaction score
13
previously the advantage off the shelf method had was the luxury of choosing your preferred brand for each part. However, now even that is possible via aftershock. A tiny premium (perhaps at almost no extra cost) for a peace of mind, availability of installment plans and home delivery.
 

SkyShroud

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2005
Messages
21,056
Reaction score
1,513
IIRC, aftershock warranty is not part warranty, it is set warranty. This means that parts which normally has long warranty of more than 3 years like ram, ssd, psu and some gpu brand will not have that warranty under aftershock.
 

Goodshot

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2013
Messages
62,477
Reaction score
4,406
Not true now. For below 1.5k budget Aftershock's value is unbeatable.

Nope , if u look inside farer more actually diy is cheaper . These base item they offer is very basic stuff, it didnt tell in the front page
 

Jazzbie

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
14
When DIY, I'll be looking at cheap deals and buy during promo periods e.g. 11.11 and BF. This usually means at least another 20% off SLS price if not more. AS is only competitive if u don't know how to DIY and need to go to a SLS shop to build.
 

vironix

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2007
Messages
2,422
Reaction score
55
To be honest their promo price currently for the Flow with 2060 super and ryzen3600 is quite good....

Sent from the anal hair of Thanos using GAGT
 

hayashiryo

Member
Joined
Dec 29, 2007
Messages
151
Reaction score
0
Hi. All thanks for all the advice. For me I might be able to buy all the components myself and just assemble them. I'd take quite a bit of time thou as I need to figure it out. I'm not looking to do those cool water cooling system. Just a good gaming rig within my budget. So I think it's easier if I can just go to a reliable or reputable shop in SLS and tell them the parts I need and get them to assemble for me.

Or do you guys think I should just go to AfterShock? Nonetheless, any recommendation on the components within a budget of 1,300? I would prefer to have about 250 to 500GB SSD as my primary HDD.
 

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2007
Messages
62,850
Reaction score
1,080
i dun understand why aftershock could be so cheaper than DIY system.
 

platee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Feb 19, 2009
Messages
16,746
Reaction score
1,835
If get aftershock, how to add WiFi to their prebuilts??
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top