Daocheng Yading 稻城亚丁

260Wolskel

Reaction score
Has anyone gone to this place before? Can share if there is high altitude sickness and how bad is it? Appreciate input, thanks!

wuso

Reaction score
1. Altitude sickness can affect anyone - different people have different levels of reaction to it, so nobody can advise how it will affect u
2. Yading can reach as high as 3700+m
3. Surest way is to go up slowly and not go from 0m to 3000m in one day

260Wolskel

Reaction score
1. Altitude sickness can affect anyone - different people have different levels of reaction to it, so nobody can advise how it will affect u
2. Yading can reach as high as 3700+m
3. Surest way is to go up slowly and not go from 0m to 3000m in one day

Agreed, and thanks for reply! I assume you been there? It is worth going? Do have personally have problem with the high altitude? Thanks again!

IMANOOB

Reaction score
Agreed, and thanks for reply! I assume you been there? It is worth going? Do have personally have problem with the high altitude? Thanks again!

Check my thread for more information on daocheng. Had initially planned to go there but decided not to due to flight costs.

Best is to acclitimize yourself by taking the overland route and spending 2 nights at each spot before climbing 300 - 700 ms.

A good itinerary would be chengdu-kangding -litang - daocheng - shangrila then to lijiang or/ kangding -chengdu.

U can also opt out to fly back from dqochenf to chengdu.

The overland route if u travel alone might need u to spend at least 6 - 10 hrs on a circular mountain road.

Best medication to take for road sickness would be a dimenyhydrate compound, but this is diuretic.

If u need to fly straight without having time to acclitimize at lower altitude, then u will need to take medications to prevent AMS. Take ginger / ginkgo supplements to regulate ur body as well. Daocheng yading route normally needs 5 - 6 days to complete along with acclitimization, and that is excluding the overland route days

beanstalk6

Reaction score
In my group of 20, 2 had to visit a local polyclinic for treatment. 4 decided they did not want to go any higher than the Milk Lake. And they were all Chinese.

wuso

Reaction score
Yes, definitely worth going for me, but again this is very subjective yah? 8)

I personally do get "altitude sickness" but luckily its just pounding headache, and I went overland, not flight. But I love mountain scenery and the views of the 3 sacred holy mountains are great!

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
never been to 稻城亚丁 but been to 梅里雪山, when we arrived at 香格里拉 (迪庆) which is about 3300m, we already felt the altitude discomfort; headache, out of breath climbing flight of stairs to hotel room on level 3, we bought and took the altitude sickness supplement (tablet, bought from taobao) and oxygen can, it seems to help a bit but we end up still took panadol for the headache, after 2 nights here, we head higher up to the viewing area (飞来寺 about 3400m) for 梅里雪山, the symptoms felt still the same.

the bus from 香格里拉 to 飞来寺, had to climb up the mountain, reaching the highest point at this place known as 白马雪山垭口(about 4100m)before coming down again to 3400m at 德钦 before reaching 飞来寺, i dont remember having any worst symptom when at 4100m even though we got down the bus to take photo if i remember correctly.

Last edited:

IMANOOB

Reaction score
never been to 稻城亚丁 but been to 梅里雪山, when we arrived at 香格里拉 (迪庆) which is about 3300m, we already felt the altitude discomfort; headache, out of breath climbing flight of stairs to hotel room on level 3, we bought and took the altitude sickness supplement (tablet, bought from taobao) and oxygen can, it seems to help a bit but we end up still took panadol for the headache, after 2 nights here, we head higher up to the viewing area (飞来寺 about 3400m) for 梅里雪山, the symptoms felt still the same.

the bus from 香格里拉 to 飞来寺, had to climb up the mountain, reaching the highest point at this place known as 白马雪山垭口(about 4100m)before coming down again to 3400m at 德钦 before reaching 飞来寺, i dont remember having any worst symptom when at 4100m even though we got down the bus to take photo if i remember correctly.

Before leaving for the trip to shangrila did u take any hong jin tian or diamox for AMS beforehand? My itinerary is also the same as yours in this June and i am going deeper inside to Yubeng. Whats the altitude sickness supplement name? Doesnt seem to work from the way you describe it.

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Before leaving for the trip to shangrila did u take any hong jin tian or diamox for AMS beforehand? My itinerary is also the same as yours in this June and i am going deeper inside to Yubeng. Whats the altitude sickness supplement name? Doesnt seem to work from the way you describe it.

we only started taking the tablets when we were in Lijiang. Lijiang is only 2400m and we didnt have any altitude sickness, we took just to be kiasu a bit to prepare ourselves for the upcoming journey up the higher altitude

the tablets we bought from taobao are the same as the following but if i remember correctly, it could not be shipped to SG, i think i got a China colleague to help bring it back from China to SG.

as to whether it works or not, we cannot confirm if we would have got worst symptom if we did not take it, but at least we didnt get any severe symptom that will jeopardize our trip.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.54.4d50310eOt2BSt&id=16580742493&ns=1&abbucket=4#detail

Last edited:

IMANOOB

Reaction score
it seems that from the description that it is rhodiola based supplement.

I am also taking Rhodiola now in preparation for my ascent in a week, but currently taking Diamox or Acetazolamide regimentally. Limiting the dosage to 250mg per day.

Hong Jin Tian is supposed to be taken at least a week before the ascent. But it appears to have negligible effect based on the tales i heard from people who have used it. The symptoms you describe are indeed the early stage of AMS.

Might consider taking ginkgo, as it also a recommended herbal remedy for altitude sickness.

Another purported natural remedies are as per following :

1. Garlic and cloves, taken raw
2. Ginger supplements
3. Medicated oil for nausea

Treatment for when AMS strikes :

1. Ibuprofen and Diamox. But diamox (acetazolamide) is best taken 2 - 3 days before ascent to condition your body beforehand. it's diuretic, meaning you will piss a lot, and also need to drink lots of water. Do not take aspirin when taking Diamox, and antibiotics might interfere with it as well. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen is preferred.

asiafrenz

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it seems that from the description that it is rhodiola based supplement.

I am also taking Rhodiola now in preparation for my ascent in a week, but currently taking Diamox or Acetazolamide regimentally. Limiting the dosage to 250mg per day.

Hong Jin Tian is supposed to be taken at least a week before the ascent. But it appears to have negligible effect based on the tales i heard from people who have used it. The symptoms you describe are indeed the early stage of AMS.

Might consider taking ginkgo, as it also a recommended herbal remedy for altitude sickness.

Another purported natural remedies are as per following :

1. Garlic and cloves, taken raw
2. Ginger supplements
3. Medicated oil for nausea

Treatment for when AMS strikes :

1. Ibuprofen and Diamox. But diamox (acetazolamide) is best taken 2 - 3 days before ascent to condition your body beforehand. it's diuretic, meaning you will piss a lot, and also need to drink lots of water. Do not take aspirin when taking Diamox, and antibiotics might interfere with it as well. Paracetamol and Ibuprofen is preferred.

remember to buy as many can of oxygen as you can carry, it does help with the breathlessness and maybe reduce the headache too

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Honestly if you are worried, best to see your GP and get prescription pills for altitude sickness. I have not tried before but I understand they are more effective than OTC ones and probably the most effective.

The locals have their own herbal type which comes in various brands and usually ten vials per box. Each box is about RMB90-100 which local pharmacies sell. I have tried them but hard to say if it works. People have tried it but get sick at 3000m, so it's all individual. My personal take having been to Tibet (over 5000m) and Shangrila, is that if nothing else, it's helps you feel more relaxed and calm psychologically which is good.

As for the oxygen canisters, again there are many brands but judging by the weight, they are only good for a few puffs. Use them only if you feel quite bad because after they deplete, you will start to get symptoms again until you go down. Don't expect all symptoms to disappear, expect to be uncomfortable for a duration. If you feel really bad, go and for local medical help. In Tibet, tourist hotels have medical staff but not so in Shangrila.

IMANOOB

Reaction score
While i am still here, i might as well ask a few questions in regards to transport in China

1. Is Nord VPN good? i felt that the Starhub HappyRoam data is way too little for 15 days. Gonna install a paid VPN there, cuz i might need to buy train ticket and hotel online.

2. How do i book transport using Mafengwo? do i need to make an acct in Chinese? I am concerned in getting safe taxi from Shangrila airport to my accoms, and from Kunming to Kunming airport. Any tips on planning my transportation? is it wise to carry 2 bulky luggages inside a chinese bus?

3. How do i exchange train tickets if i had bought it onlinE? I do not need to bring printed itinerary right?

56mimosa

Reaction score
While i am still here, i might as well ask a few questions in regards to transport in China

1. Is Nord VPN good? i felt that the Starhub HappyRoam data is way too little for 15 days. Gonna install a paid VPN there, cuz i might need to buy train ticket and hotel online.

I use VPN dot AC ( please replace the "dot" with "." ). I have tested it in two separate trips to Yunnan and Xi'An. Very good.

IMANOOB

Reaction score
I use VPN dot AC ( please replace the "dot" with "." ). I have tested it in two separate trips to Yunnan and Xi'An. Very good.

thanks, but is this a free VPN? or is it paid? i have qualms in using free VPN since i might do a few online transactions while in China.

hfngshnll

Reaction score
Has anyone gone to this place before? Can share if there is high altitude sickness and how bad is it? Appreciate input, thanks!
i have been there before. 稻城 is a town on the way to 亚丁. 稻城 elevation is about the same as lhasa in tibet, around 3750 meters. 亚丁 elevations greatly. most people stay in the small town of 香格里拉镇 ( different from the one in yunnan ) where many hotels are located, more comfortable to sleep at lower elevations. 香格里拉镇 at about 2900 meters is the main gateway before entry into 亚丁 proper, 亚丁village (3900), 冲古寺(3900)、洛绒牛场grass meadows(4100-4200)、牛奶海(4500)、五色海(4600)、珍珠海(4100).

before that, on a separate trip, i had already been to the valleys in 四姑娘山 (3000-3800). maybe due to my rush from 成都,(~500)and physical exertions going about taking photos during the day, i had a very bad headache that night and nauseous feeling, trying to sleep at around 3300 meters.

for the 川西 trip, i went slowly from 成都, sleeping over in 磨西镇(1650) 康定(2600) and went to various nearby places with elevations up to 4300 meters without any symptoms. the 10-hour bus journey from 康定 to 稻城 covers elevations 2600-4700 meters. in 亚丁, my nagging headache came about after 1 hour from trekking around 4000 meters. the headache stayed all the way until i went back down to 香格里拉镇 at the end of the day.

in the bus at 4700 meters, i did not feel any symptoms. but when you need to exert physically climbing, walking up and down, trekking long distances, i had my headache at 4000 meters in less than 1 hour.

as some have already said, altitude sickness can hit anyone. it is very difficult to predict who will or will not get affected. there are some very fit people getting hit badly, while some semi-couch potatoes seem untouched. even experienced mountain climbers who had done multiple 8000+ meters have died suddenly from HAPE or HACE in another lower mountain climb.

260Wolskel

Reaction score
i have been there before. 稻城 is a town on the way to 亚丁. 稻城 elevation is about the same as lhasa in tibet, around 3750 meters. 亚丁 elevations greatly. most people stay in the small town of 香格里拉镇 ( different from the one in yunnan ) where many hotels are located, more comfortable to sleep at lower elevations. 香格里拉镇 at about 2900 meters is the main gateway before entry into 亚丁 proper, 亚丁village (3900), 冲古寺(3900)、洛绒牛场grass meadows(4100-4200)、牛奶海(4500)、五色海(4600)、珍珠海(4100).

before that, on a separate trip, i had already been to the valleys in 四姑娘山 (3000-3800). maybe due to my rush from 成都,(~500)and physical exertions going about taking photos during the day, i had a very bad headache that night and nauseous feeling, trying to sleep at around 3300 meters.

for the 川西 trip, i went slowly from 成都, sleeping over in 磨西镇(1650) 康定(2600) and went to various nearby places with elevations up to 4300 meters without any symptoms. the 10-hour bus journey from 康定 to 稻城 covers elevations 2600-4700 meters. in 亚丁, my nagging headache came about after 1 hour from trekking around 4000 meters. the headache stayed all the way until i went back down to 香格里拉镇 at the end of the day.

in the bus at 4700 meters, i did not feel any symptoms. but when you need to exert physically climbing, walking up and down, trekking long distances, i had my headache at 4000 meters in less than 1 hour.

as some have already said, altitude sickness can hit anyone. it is very difficult to predict who will or will not get affected. there are some very fit people getting hit badly, while some semi-couch potatoes seem untouched. even experienced mountain climbers who had done multiple 8000+ meters have died suddenly from HAPE or HACE in another lower mountain climb.

Wow! Nice review! Thank you very much!!

pacetone

Reaction score
Which is a better season to go? Spring or Autumn - planning for next year trip to Daocheng Yading and thinking either May or Sep. Can the experts here advise?

Thank you.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Which is a better season to go? Spring or Autumn - planning for next year trip to Daocheng Yading and thinking either May or Sep. Can the experts here advise?

Thank you.

I visited in early October. Much of the autumn scenery was already replaced by the bare vegetation of the winter to come. Early September will be ideal, when the autumn colours are at their best and yet the temperature has not dipped so much.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.