DBS Treasures benefit?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it works for some who has zero knowledge of investments, but for those AI the access to more complicated derivatives dont offer much value. generally you get access to bond financing to increase return on equity, or buy into structured note that invest in a basket of stocks that guarantee you a coupon rate if strike price is around 90-100% of PAR (personally dont like it because you take all the risk while bank take the upside), etc, and they cant offer private placement for IPO which is the service i really want.

In the end concluded welcome offer is the most lucrative part of joining DBST or TPC.
I am not sure about this "for those AI the access to more complicated derivatives dont offer much value". one man's meat is another man's poison

So there is no one-size-fits-all.

"or buy into structured note that invest in a basket of stocks that guarantee you a coupon rate if strike price is around 90-100% of PAR (personally dont like it because you take all the risk while bank take the upside)"

This is an instrument thing. it's technically options and they packaged it for you. for those people who are too rich, no time to DIY, they may value such an instrument. So maybe for your style it might not be useful.

"and they cant offer private placement for IPO which is the service i really want." - not talking about DBS specific. but it depends......
Bro, can you share exactly access to what investment one cannot DIY? Some of my friends invested in Baillie Gifford trust that gives them early access to unicorns in series A, B, C, D and when these unicorns IPO, they huat. Also there are spac vehicle for you to invest also. So you are saying DBS treasures allow those high network investors ($10mil and above) to invest in those unicorns like space X etc in early stage? Or any new crypto prior to their listing in Binance etc? Or they are just bundling any high risk instruments to sell to ppl? Instruments that are so difficult to understand even Buffett, Dalio and Burry don’t understand? So need to let these high network ppl take all the risk? Usually if you see a billionaire lose $100-200mil, they won’t kpkb in front of national tv. So I presume that is the kind of risk assessment? So far what I have seen is they cannot even do overseas IPO properly. Or I would say no one even bother to invite our local banks to participate?
not talking about DBS specific, but generally those Private Banking... some might offer access to like SPACE X that kind.

so it really depends.

some rich people don't want to waste their time DIY as Angel Investors or what not. so sometimes they just want banks to offer one stop shop solution.

i mean look at it this way.

as much as retail customers think traditional banks are nonsense, they will still be thriving. cause maybe rich ppl see what retail ppl don't see?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is up to individuals.
Example they buy etfs & willingly pay management fees of 0.2% p.a. or more when they could save more by DIY in stocks & saved a lot more over long term.

Also for big investors they can buy bonds at $200k per lot only through Banks' RMs.

But yes, definitely DBST is short-changing their clients with its custodian fees & high charges compared to other banks like SCB, HSBC etc without custodian fees.
i think probably cause DBST doesn't want the small timers.

Last edited:

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
"or buy into structured note that invest in a basket of stocks that guarantee you a coupon rate if strike price is around 90-100% of PAR (personally dont like it because you take all the risk while bank take the upside)"

the terms is client decide one - unless you enter minimum amount.

u know there’s another element called KI? U need ki to be activated for strike to happen.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the terms is client decide one - unless you enter minimum amount.

u know there’s another element called KI? U need ki to be activated for strike to happen.
Ya client decide one. But they just have to utter the words. Don’t have to click themselves.

yes. It’s like options but not 100%.

there’s value to it. Diff ppl see it differently.

one must ask oneself.

what’s the real rich seeing (and thus doing FCN/ELN) that the others who might not be as rich, don’t?

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why would big timers pay custodian fees to DBS when there are other banks that don't charge custodian fees & it seems all else are the same?
Maybe on a holistic basis, big timers may like certain offering other banks don’t? And as mentioned above, big timers don’t just invest in the stock market directly.

they may do other stuff. And the bigger timer you are, the cheaper are some of the fees (Economies of scale).

so maybe they save on others (that might be a real big sum) and pay those peanuts custody fees?

also sometimes big timers don’t follow the bank, they follow the RM.

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya client decide one. But they just have to utter the words. Don’t have to click themselves.

yes. It’s like options but not 100%.

there’s value to it. Diff ppl see it differently.

one must ask oneself.

what’s the real rich seeing (and thus doing FCN/ELN) that the others who might not be as rich, don’t?

i don’t know what’s your point actually.

U want u be issuer and offer to retail client lo

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i don’t know what’s your point actually.

U want u be issuer and offer to retail client lo
My point is, you may not see value in it. But others do.

if everybody sees no value in it. It will cease to be offered.

arctician

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I sound out quite a few banks like scb, hsbc and dbs. None of them offer private placement for ipo. So far yet to encounter any banks that offer unless they are the bookrunner..personally equities real estate and cash works best..no need to have ELN and options to balance my portfolio

I use dbst purely for 0.12% brokerage and use it to get 2.5% pa for 2x multiplier acct, that's about it

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I sound out quite a few banks like scb, hsbc and dbs. None of them offer private placement for ipo. So far yet to encounter any banks that offer unless they are the bookrunner..personally equities real estate and cash works best..no need to have ELN and options to balance my portfolio

I use dbst purely for 0.12% brokerage and use it to get 2.5% pa for 2x multiplier acct, that's about it
Diff people got diff use case for it. Which is perfectly fine

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Oh and one of the biggest benefit will be some banks can be very aggressive when it comes to offering leverage.

that’s a real big benefit.

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My point is, you may not see value in it. But others do.

if everybody sees no value in it. It will cease to be offered.

retail not offered fcn what - correct me if I’m mistaken.

it’s not about value - it’s about who have access.

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

IPO?

to atm press press only what.
why need PB to help?

unless you wanna anchor then it’s another thing la.

if small amount, I think u wanna jump queue for allocation only is it?

sk0065

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

actually not 100% true.
Other banks using voice log.

HSBC is e-sign - thus I still have to click and “type” my signature.
Hagahhahahaha.

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
retail not offered fcn what - correct me if I’m mistaken.

it’s not about value - it’s about who have access.
Putting access aside. I’m talking about those with access but asking what’s the benefit of joining such priority/privilege/premium banking.

If “benefit” to them is about just “free” stuff “cheaper” stuff, then such banking is of course not for them. Because there’s a misalignment in expectation.
IPO?

to atm press press only what.
why need PB to help?

unless you wanna anchor then it’s another thing la.

if small amount, I think u wanna jump queue for allocation only is it?
Is about private placement etc.
Ya lo.
I love the latte at the lounge - too bad now no more.

and not forgetting the any bao
(Cny notes is tricky but still ok)
Then such banking is not for you lor. But doesn’t mean is no use.
actually not 100% true.
Other banks using voice log.

HSBC is e-sign - thus I still have to click and “type” my signature.
Hagahhahahaha.
Sure if you want to be so specific. But the essence remains the same

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score

Singapore bank don’t do early stage investment one la. They are those old donkeys who think they are at the front of the curve. Their clients also suck thumb. Who still buy bonds today. When they present to clients, they will say oh. My bonds and unit trust are the best. Haha! Just see lion global, 80-90% of their unit trust perform worst than index.
Lol! Probably they can’t even beat those all weather portfolio investors like Ray Dalio

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Singapore bank don’t do early stage investment one la. They are those old donkeys who think they are at the front of the curve. Their clients also suck thumb. Who still buy bonds today. When they present to clients, they will say oh. My bonds and unit trust are the best. Haha! Just see lion global, 80-90% of their unit trust perform worst than index.
Lol! Probably they can’t even beat those all weather portfolio investors like Ray Dalio
to retail for sure wouldn't la. but i wouldn't be surprise for their UHNW clients, they will have tie up.

skpuppy

Master Member
Reaction score

reddevil0728

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.