Dell sucks big time - Don't order from them!

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
I ordered a Dell laptop online on Dec 26 last year. On Jan 8, an Dell online salesperson called me to say that they ran out of stocks for the model that I ordered & asked if I would settle for an alternative model; he sent me the specs & I said OK, and asked him to go ahead to process my order.

On Jan 18, I called up Dell again as I did not receive any update via mail or phone regarding when my laptop will be delivered. The online salesperson said his system shows delivery date would be Jan 31 - I told him that's way too long - besides I ordered on Dec 26 and the supposed waiting time is supposed to be only 2 weeks. He said he'll contact the relevant department & call me back. He never did.

For the past week or so I've been calling Dell almost everyday & the online salespeople said they'll check & let me know but up to now, I'm still waiting for my laptop to be delivered. I sent a mail through their feedback page regarding this & all I got was a mail from another Dell idiot telling me my laptop would be delivered on Jan 31. That was on Wed.

Yesterday afternoon I called them up again & they said they'll check & revert to me on Monday. Then at about 5pm, I got a mail saying my laptop would be delivered on Feb 8!! WTF!! I'm going to call on Monday, ask for a VP's name & e-mail, write to him & make sure he/she gets my laptop delivered quickly & also make some heads roll.

Sh1t! I've never come across such a bloody sh1tty company before!!
 

jcchia

Member
Joined
Mar 22, 2008
Messages
318
Reaction score
17
"I'm going to call on Monday, ask for a VP's name & e-mail, write to him & make sure he/she gets my laptop delivered quickly & also make some heads roll."

Wow, Bro
That serious that You have to reach the VP just for this laptop
Dun waste your time and anger over this small matter.
The VP / P are more concern about their "whole shipment to various country than your small order.
Just be gracious, just cancel the order. Why U order online ? cheaper ?
If cheaper then that a cheap service too.
Plenty of shops in Funan or Sim Lim selling and deal directly with them.
 

bozq2000

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
5,351
Reaction score
0
Cancel your order and send your email.
The waiting time is way too long. Unless Dell gives in and give you a huge discount. It doesn't matter if you have ordered the most popular model, tell them you are going to get another brand where you can get the laptop immediately.

Which model did you get btw?
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
Update as of today.

Yesterday I shot a mail to the VP & MD of Dell South Asia & Korea. Just now a manager called me to say that my laptop has been shipped out from Malaysia & should be delivered to me in the next few days. Also they will investigate re the delay. I bet you heads will roll - when you complain, always complain to senior management: that's where they will take notice. No use complaining to managers...

and yes, the price is pretty cheap @ SGD 500 for an Inspiron 14z.
 
Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2006
Messages
3,964
Reaction score
1
Update as of today.

Yesterday I shot a mail to the VP & MD of Dell South Asia & Korea. Just now a manager called me to say that my laptop has been shipped out from Malaysia & should be delivered to me in the next few days. Also they will investigate re the delay. I bet you heads will roll - when you complain, always complain to senior management: that's where they will take notice. No use complaining to managers...

and yes, the price is pretty cheap @ SGD 500 for an Inspiron 14z.



the best thing is CC everyone in the sales.
 

iCuteCube

Master Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
2,513
Reaction score
0
Well, just want to share my experience for enterprise services.

The difference between consumer service and enterprise service have a very big gap. For enterprise service, i have a POC which will take care of everything, all my warranty in my company are covered with NBD servicing, and they always arrive on time and bring spares, 1 for 1 exchange, for new procurement, there is even a dedicated sales rep @ penang to discuss.

Tried buying Dell consumer, and the service really cmi, but once again, comparing to Acer, i still think Dell is a lot better in the consumer range of product.

The product normally are shipped from penang, take about 1-2days by DHL :)
Sometimes heng sway one lah, not wanna say which brand good, which brand no good.
 

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2003
Messages
25,669
Reaction score
2,123
If I were you, I will just cancel the order. Since they are not keen in doing business, then forget it. I will also advice others to be wary too. ;)

Hope you get your laptop soon pal! :)
 

bozq2000

Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 21, 2002
Messages
5,351
Reaction score
0
TS did the right thing to email senior management.
Even if it doesn't resolve the order, at least shoot them something.

But overall, I think it's good that Dell is taking every order seriously, like in TS' case.

Every company cannot take things too lightly, whether is it consumer or enterprise clients. Social media and internet is very easily accessible. A single displeasure can create a ripple effect in their sales from one person to another.

Just like what happens here. It's only natural that TS is frustrated because he placed his order more than a month ago and needs to vent. And different people have different reaction. TS' thread title is already "don't order from Dell"

Anyway, keep us updated.
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
Update as of today:

Laptop was delivered in the morning. That being said, this is the 1st and last time I will order direct from Dell; this experience has left an extremely sour taste in my mouth regarding the company.
 

junialum

Master Member
Joined
Sep 15, 2004
Messages
2,579
Reaction score
19
Wah quite bad experience for u.

I ordered a Dell desktop 7 years back, two laptops 3 years back and a monitor a year back. All 0 issues and delivered ahead of time. Maybe I ordered the popular models they had in stock or sth.

In fact, for the monitor the sales rep help me save an extra $150 off my U3011.
 

ordway

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2000
Messages
2,159
Reaction score
0
Update as of today.

Yesterday I shot a mail to the VP & MD of Dell South Asia & Korea. Just now a manager called me to say that my laptop has been shipped out from Malaysia & should be delivered to me in the next few days. Also they will investigate re the delay. I bet you heads will roll - when you complain, always complain to senior management: that's where they will take notice. No use complaining to managers...

and yes, the price is pretty cheap @ SGD 500 for an Inspiron 14z.

Supply chain is complicated enough that noone will be directly responsible for the delay. In addition, this is Dell, an organization dealing with thousands of orders daily.

Not to infuriate you, but as a matter of fact, I guarantee you heads will not roll, especially for a consumer home order. I can also assure you that when you emailed the senior exec, he promptly forwarded it to his assistant who then contacted the relevant departments and a "manager" within said department contacted you.

Google Dell Hell to see what Dell Customer Service is like in the US. For Dell, sometimes they have great prices, and their items are usually built decently, but if something goes wrong, the logistics are so complex that its good luck for anyone to fix anything.

Dell offers great items and great prices. You just have to know what you're in for in case your item is out of stock or has any problems.
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
Supply chain is complicated enough that noone will be directly responsible for the delay. In addition, this is Dell, an organization dealing with thousands of orders daily.

Not to infuriate you, but as a matter of fact, I guarantee you heads will not roll, especially for a consumer home order. I can also assure you that when you emailed the senior exec, he promptly forwarded it to his assistant who then contacted the relevant departments and a "manager" within said department contacted you.

Google Dell Hell to see what Dell Customer Service is like in the US. For Dell, sometimes they have great prices, and their items are usually built decently, but if something goes wrong, the logistics are so complex that its good luck for anyone to fix anything.

Dell offers great items and great prices. You just have to know what you're in for in case your item is out of stock or has any problems.

Of course I know that having worked for 2 global IT solutions company in the past but do I care as a consumer? Of course not! All I care about is my laptop being delivered quickly!

If all it takes to get my laptop quickly is to send a mail to Dell's senior management, then I'll do it (or rather in this case, what I did). Do I even care if heads roll? Nope. All I care is my laptop being delivered. Sure, I may have given the impression that I wanted to see heads roll but those posts were written when I was extremely frustrated. Enough said.
 

ordway

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 10, 2000
Messages
2,159
Reaction score
0
Of course I know that having worked for 2 global IT solutions company in the past but do I care as a consumer? Of course not! All I care about is my laptop being delivered quickly!

If all it takes to get my laptop quickly is to send a mail to Dell's senior management, then I'll do it (or rather in this case, what I did). Do I even care if heads roll? Nope. All I care is my laptop being delivered. Sure, I may have given the impression that I wanted to see heads roll but those posts were written when I was extremely frustrated. Enough said.

Ummm.... sorry I took your words at face value...? I'm hardly in a position to know your background.

I'm not even supporting Dell here. You got a raw deal and I sympathize. Noone likes to wait endless delays for something they've paid for. I'm just saying that if you buy from Dell, understand as you yourself admit that they have good prices and decent products. Just know that their much vaunted "support" when things go wrong may not be all they advertise it to be.

Its also possible, no highly likely, that emailing senior execs had little to do with the laptop being shipped in a timely manner. Dell is a very automated operation. A customer service representative manager who dealt with you can flag it up the chain but unlikely that it accelerated or fast tracked your order (I'm sure you know that, but for others reading this thread). Maybe they upgraded the shipping method, but I doubt it for international sales.

Dell's estimated ship date and delay notices are exactly that. Estimates. They come earlier or they come later. Only way you can tie down is when they've handed it off to the shipper and a tracking number is provided. Calling them when the occasional delay happens is good to get discounts or shipping upgrades, but as to when it rolls off the manufacturing line? You can rant and rave to anyone but it rarely makes a difference.

If you're an institutional client or a SME that places regular orders, yes, there's a salesperson directly assigned to the account you can reach out to and more can be done but again, manufacturing/assembly line works on their own schedule. 9/10 they're fast and efficient but every now and then, a screwup happens. Case in point.
 

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
Dell should email a thank you note, for not troubling them again.

There's a Cantonese saying - 你不出声,没人会说你是哑巴. Translated it means if you don't say anything no one will say that you're dumb.
 
Last edited:

gkhchay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2007
Messages
20,555
Reaction score
121
Update as of today:

Someone from the Dell's APAC Executive Escalation Team called me - she apologized for all the inconvenience that I had to put up with. She also told me that she looked into my order & have the names all those online salespersons and customer service reps who handled my case - she's sent a note to all their supervisors regarding my complaint to senior management.

Well, I'm glad that Dell took my complaint seriously.
 

matrix05

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
May 13, 2007
Messages
71,456
Reaction score
10,398
Update as of today:

Someone from the Dell's APAC Executive Escalation Team called me - she apologized for all the inconvenience that I had to put up with. She also told me that she looked into my order & have the names all those online salespersons and customer service reps who handled my case - she's sent a note to all their supervisors regarding my complaint to senior management.

Well, I'm glad that Dell took my complaint seriously.

Looks like Dell is a good place to order. Not only the computer is good price, the service recovery is good. For $500, Snr Mgr + Mgr + Escalation team + sales + delivery all involved, at most they make $5 from this deal.
 

Almightygod

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 10, 2014
Messages
6
Reaction score
2
Dell is the worst computer vendor out there!

In my opinion, dell is the worst computer vendor in the world. I bought a desktop 3 years ago. It had been giving me problems consistently. I had sent for repairs numerous times within the warranty period, till my warranty expires and I gave up totally. The worst experience is when I got fired up over my computer glitches but the Dell technician pretend not to understand my problem. I got so angry that I suffered a heart attack and got warded to A&E in SGH hospital. I stay in hospital for 3 days and nearly lost my life. I swear will never buy Dell again! All its computer parts are cheap and lousy, go for other brands if you don't want to die early.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top