Dell xps vs other options

Isaacchua

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi! I’m looking for a laptop that can run photo processing softwares I.e. photoshop, Lightroom and deep sky stacker, as well as some light gaming. I hope to bring it to uni and overseas on flights. Recently found a deal for dell xps 9570 i5 8300H 8gb Ram and 256gb ssd, with 3 yrs on-site warranty for $1911. Worth it or any better suggestions? I will have to upgrade that 8g ram to 16g as well. Thanks!!
 

Jazzbie

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
2,166
Reaction score
14
Hi! I’m looking for a laptop that can run photo processing softwares I.e. photoshop, Lightroom and deep sky stacker, as well as some light gaming. I hope to bring it to uni and overseas on flights. Recently found a deal for dell xps 9570 i5 8300H 8gb Ram and 256gb ssd, with 3 yrs on-site warranty for $1911. Worth it or any better suggestions? I will have to upgrade that 8g ram to 16g as well. Thanks!!

Seems like you got a good deal compared to Dell's online price.

But you can easily get that spec at below $1000 with other brands like Acer, Asus and Lenovo. Or $1200+ including a discrete graphics card. Dell XPS has a premium that only worth to pay if you love the design and feeling rich.
 

narkizy

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Hi! I’m looking for a laptop that can run photo processing softwares I.e. photoshop, Lightroom and deep sky stacker, as well as some light gaming. I hope to bring it to uni and overseas on flights. Recently found a deal for dell xps 9570 i5 8300H 8gb Ram and 256gb ssd, with 3 yrs on-site warranty for $1911. Worth it or any better suggestions? I will have to upgrade that 8g ram to 16g as well. Thanks!!

Most gaming laptops can do that easily for a much cheaper price. You get an XPS 15 for its form factor, build quality(to a limited extent) and looks. Basically the macbook pro of windows laptops.

Imo its not worth for the specs. Price is still too steep. And are you sure the onsite warranty provided(by Dell or some Ah Beng shop u found in Sim Lim) is international? Esp since you are going overseas? Most onsite warranty means onsite within SG.

https://www.dell.com/en-sg/shop/lap...-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop

The G3 series top-end specs alone cost 1848, but with a i7 8750H(the i5 only has 4 cores and much less power), 24gb ram. And its possible to ask for international warranty.

Wanna go even more budget, there's Y530 by lenovo, MX series by Aftershock, the list goes on. If you dont care about aesthetics and want performance, theres loads of much cheaper, much more powerful laptops out there.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
Dell XPS is light, alternate is Dell G3 but it is heavier at 2.5kg.
There should be one about $1699.
It is a old SKU 128GB SSD + 1TB Hard disk.
The new configuration comes with optane memory which I doubt it is that as fast as SSD.
Since Optane is just a cache.
 

Isaacchua

Junior Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2019
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Most gaming laptops can do that easily for a much cheaper price. You get an XPS 15 for its form factor, build quality(to a limited extent) and looks. Basically the macbook pro of windows laptops.

Imo its not worth for the specs. Price is still too steep. And are you sure the onsite warranty provided(by Dell or some Ah Beng shop u found in Sim Lim) is international? Esp since you are going overseas? Most onsite warranty means onsite within SG.

https://www.dell.com/en-sg/shop/lap...-15-gaming-laptop/spd/g-series-15-3579-laptop

The G3 series top-end specs alone cost 1848, but with a i7 8750H(the i5 only has 4 cores and much less power), 24gb ram. And its possible to ask for international warranty.

Wanna go even more budget, there's Y530 by lenovo, MX series by Aftershock, the list goes on. If you dont care about aesthetics and want performance, theres loads of much cheaper, much more powerful laptops out there.

Thanka for the reply! Actually for me i chose the dell xps over the rest cuz its much lighter than the g3 for example (500g). Regarding the aftershock, how's the battery life on their apex 15?
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Dell XPS is light, alternate is Dell G3 but it is heavier at 2.5kg.
There should be one about $1699.
It is a old SKU 128GB SSD + 1TB Hard disk.
The new configuration comes with optane memory which I doubt it is that as fast as SSD.
Since Optane is just a cache.

Not as fast but good enough. It will allow one to get high capacity harddisk at resonable speed. Laptoo will soon has standard equipment with 2TB harddisk.
 

narkizy

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2016
Messages
538
Reaction score
0
Thanka for the reply! Actually for me i chose the dell xps over the rest cuz its much lighter than the g3 for example (500g). Regarding the aftershock, how's the battery life on their apex 15?

If battery life and working on the go is important to u, then I suggest not considering the laptops I and the rest here have mentioned, go with the xps or gigabyte aero 15. Much more costly, yes, but xps, aero all have at least 7-7.5 hours of battery life. Macbook pros/airs iirc can go for as long as 8-9 hours BUT, ofc, drawback is shitty specs and NO dedicated GPU, no gaming, you might as well get an ultrabook.

Gaming laptops, on the other hand like the much cheaper G3, Lenovo Y530, Apex-15, ALL aftershock gaming laptops in general have crap battery life. You'll need to bring along a horrendously bulky charger if you're gonna be on the move constantly.

Apex-15 currently has the worse: only 2-2.5 hours. The rest average about 3.5hours, my Prime 15 can pull a max of 3.5 hours.

If you're just choosing the XPS 15 for the weight, the Apex-15 weighs about the same and is actually thinner than the XPS, altho build quality is inferior to the XPS. After using a slim-and-light laptop(Prime 15) for a long while now, the difference in weight and looks honestly dont mean much when i look back on how much more I could've saved had I gone with a normal sized gaming laptop.
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
If battery life and working on the go is important to u, then I suggest not considering the laptops I and the rest here have mentioned, go with the xps or gigabyte aero 15. Much more costly, yes, but xps, aero all have at least 7-7.5 hours of battery life. Macbook pros/airs iirc can go for as long as 8-9 hours BUT, ofc, drawback is shitty specs and NO dedicated GPU, no gaming, you might as well get an ultrabook.

Gaming laptops, on the other hand like the much cheaper G3, Lenovo Y530, Apex-15, ALL aftershock gaming laptops in general have crap battery life. You'll need to bring along a horrendously bulky charger if you're gonna be on the move constantly.

Apex-15 currently has the worse: only 2-2.5 hours. The rest average about 3.5hours, my Prime 15 can pull a max of 3.5 hours.

If you're just choosing the XPS 15 for the weight, the Apex-15 weighs about the same and is actually thinner than the XPS, altho build quality is inferior to the XPS. After using a slim-and-light laptop(Prime 15) for a long while now, the difference in weight and looks honestly dont mean much when i look back on how much more I could've saved had I gone with a normal sized gaming laptop.

Dell G3 and G7 have acceptable battery.
But that is if you are not gaming on battery.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top