Difference between Thinkpad and Ideapad?

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I recently made a post here and I think I've narrowed down to several options that Lenovo has. I've also updated my requirements to the following, and bold where there are changes:

Budget: SGD 1,000 - 1,500 (Cheaper the better obviously, without foregoing much quality)
Uses: Work (Alot of Excel, Tableau, PowerPoint), Casual gaming (DotA 2 maybe), Photography (Light usage of Lightroom)
Touchscreen: No touchscreen, and no 2-in-1 feature
Weight: <2 KG
OS: Windows
Screen size: 14"
Memory: 8GB or 16GB
Storage: 256 or 512 SSD (No need for HDD)
GPU: Entry-level, either NVIDIA MX150 or AMD 550
Brand: Lenovo

I managed to shortlist to the following models:

ThinkPad E480
ThinkPad L480
ThinkPad E490
ThinkPad T480
ThinkPad E490S
IdeaPad 530S (14, Intel)
IdeaPad 330S (14, AMD)
IdeaPad 330S (14, Intel)

I had two big questions:

1. What's the difference between IdeaPad and ThinkPad. It seems like I can get similar specifications within similar price-range.
2. If all the above models offer the requirements above, what other things should I be considering?

Feel free to ask more questions.
 

devilhell

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
51
Reaction score
1
Thinkpad was originally a product of IBM before taking over by lenovo. They normally have below feature. Some changes make on top of below feature after taking over by lenovo.

-Usually black in color
-composite cases made of magnesium/titanium/reinforced plastic
-TrackPoint device
-LCD screens
-LED keyboard
-Active protection system
-Client security solution
-Fingerprint reader
-Roll cage design
-Accelerometer sensor

Ideapad and product of lenovo with below kind of feature.
-Widescreen touch controls
-Dolby speaker systems,
-Frameless screens
-VeriFace facial recognition system
-Glossy screen


In summary, thinkpad are mostly business based (or heavy usage) while ideapad are consumer based. I would recommend getting thinkpad if you can afford it as they are relatively more durable. Ideapad also has durable kind but the price seems to be slightly off in term of specs.
 
Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
Thinkpad get my vote, Ideapad isn't very ideal.
Once I play with one unit and return it.
E > L > T

T series is the top line than l and than E.
If you want below $1k there is one model the E485/E585
but some mention the battery isn't very good like Intel.
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Thinkpad was originally a product of IBM before taking over by lenovo. They normally have below feature. Some changes make on top of below feature after taking over by lenovo.

-Usually black in color
-composite cases made of magnesium/titanium/reinforced plastic
-TrackPoint device
-LCD screens
-LED keyboard
-Active protection system
-Client security solution
-Fingerprint reader
-Roll cage design
-Accelerometer sensor

Ideapad and product of lenovo with below kind of feature.
-Widescreen touch controls
-Dolby speaker systems,
-Frameless screens
-VeriFace facial recognition system
-Glossy screen


In summary, thinkpad are mostly business based (or heavy usage) while ideapad are consumer based. I would recommend getting thinkpad if you can afford it as they are relatively more durable. Ideapad also has durable kind but the price seems to be slightly off in term of specs.

I found similar specs on both a IdeaPad and a ThinkPad to be similarly priced. Any reason why?
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
Thinkpad get my vote, Ideapad isn't very ideal.
Once I play with one unit and return it.
E > L > T

T series is the top line than l and than E.
If you want below $1k there is one model the E485/E585
but some mention the battery isn't very good like Intel.

How do you tell if a battery is good? They all seem to have the same battery hardware
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
How do you tell if a battery is good? They all seem to have the same battery hardware

The CPU like
Intel U usually will have longer battery life than AMD.
Thinkpad for certain model you have option
for either 45wh battery or higher one at 65wh.

Series like T should have such option, higher the watt
the battery can withstand longer hours.
Few factor you can consider before buying one.
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
ThinkPad has features only higher end IdeaPads have such as usb-c charging and thuderbolt. IdeaPad I would only consider the 700 series and above
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
The CPU like
Intel U usually will have longer battery life than AMD.
Thinkpad for certain model you have option
for either 45wh battery or higher one at 65wh.

Series like T should have such option, higher the watt
the battery can withstand longer hours.
Few factor you can consider before buying one.

I think the 45W or 65W refers to the charger, with the latter bring a fast-charge charger. Please let me know if I'm wrong
 

gamero

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2018
Messages
94
Reaction score
0
ThinkPad has features only higher end IdeaPads have such as usb-c charging and thuderbolt. IdeaPad I would only consider the 700 series and above

Gotcha, I feel like most of the features like security and ports are secondary to me and not very important.
 

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2006
Messages
40,480
Reaction score
6,016
I think the 45W or 65W refers to the charger, with the latter bring a fast-charge charger. Please let me know if I'm wrong

Quote wrong should be:

6cell Battery 48Wh Rear
3cell Battery 24Wh Rear
ThinkPad Battery 6 cell Li-Ion (72Wh) Cylindrical Rear
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Between Thinkpad and Ideapad, get Thinkpad. Though don't expect good aftersales service.
 

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2000
Messages
21,732
Reaction score
133
Why do you say that? Have you experienced it firsthand? How does Lenovo services compare to other brands?

I can tell Lenovo vs ASUS vs Acer, Lenovo is very bad, but is not as bad as ASUS. Acer is ok. Thinkpad services is handle by different department.
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
Why do you say that? Have you experienced it firsthand? How does Lenovo services compare to other brands?

Experienced it back when it was still at Bukit Timah.

nC6GNZK.jpg


I can tell Lenovo vs ASUS vs Acer, Lenovo is very bad, but is not as bad as ASUS. Acer is ok. Thinkpad services is handle by different department.

Really meh? I see their service centre now is the same address regardless from Idea or Thinkpad. Not like many years ago when Thinkpad was serviced by IBM @ Changi.
 

Mystech

Senior Member
Joined
May 11, 2009
Messages
736
Reaction score
0
I'm also looking for one, usage almost exactly like yours. Basically paper work and maybe light Photoshop. Looking at the older T470 actually cause of price. And because need to use it outdoors, battery life is extremely impt for me.

You might wanna check carousel for the previous models?

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT
 

uncle_josh

Master Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2018
Messages
3,131
Reaction score
773
X series are for portability and longer battery life

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT
 

trenzterra

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 18, 2002
Messages
20,628
Reaction score
516
Experienced it back when it was still at Bukit Timah.

nC6GNZK.jpg




Really meh? I see their service centre now is the same address regardless from Idea or Thinkpad. Not like many years ago when Thinkpad was serviced by IBM @ Changi.

If I'm not wrong, as long as your Lenovo has Premiumcare warranty, they will come down and do on-site service next business day. I invoked this on my IdeaPad 720s recently and service was top notch. Saturday called them and Tuesday evening they came down to fix as agreed. Fixing took only 30mins

If ts doesn't need gpu, the 13 inch 720s is on clearance sale right now at Challenger for only 1399. Bought one for my sis recently and managed to bargain another 30 dollars off.

To me, the only difference between ThinkPad and the higher end IdeaPad series is the ThinkPad keyboard has dedicated page up and down keys
 

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 29, 2013
Messages
11,578
Reaction score
540
If I'm not wrong, as long as your Lenovo has Premiumcare warranty, they will come down and do on-site service next business day. I invoked this on my IdeaPad 720s recently and service was top notch. Saturday called them and Tuesday evening they came down to fix as agreed. Fixing took only 30mins

If ts doesn't need gpu, the 13 inch 720s is on clearance sale right now at Challenger for only 1399. Bought one for my sis recently and managed to bargain another 30 dollars off.

To me, the only difference between ThinkPad and the higher end IdeaPad series is the ThinkPad keyboard has dedicated page up and down keys

Good to hear a positive experience on Lenovo.

Besides the dedicated page up/down keys, the keyboard tactile feedback, trackpoint and touchpad buttons are also a differentiator from the IdeaPad series, along with default 3 years onsite warranty on the T and X series.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top