DIY computer table, Giant + Ikea

coyote

Greater Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2000
Messages
85,521
Reaction score
28,691
atptfn.jpg
 

Felfirez

Master Member
Joined
Mar 25, 2009
Messages
3,546
Reaction score
0
Got it. Will try to get the 'hole saw' to make those holes.

I think those table grommet you mentioned are for wires to pass through. These holes I am making str much smaller at 2.9cm diameter. It's for the 4 metal rods of the rack to pass through & hold the table top in place.

You can get those at the electrical shops like choon huat.

The table I'm guessing is about 3.5cm thick so you can't cut a hole in straight through. You can drill a hole using the same size as the marker drill on the hole saw (usually its a 8mm drill bit) and then use the hole saw on both sides for clean drilling. They have the 25mm and 20mm variants, not sure if they have 30mm ones.
 

Warlock86

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
1,900
Reaction score
0
I have been looking for monitor stand.... After looking at G market and Ebay, I find that they are too expensive (includes shipping cost). Thus, I decided to DIY with ideas provided at ikea hackers.



Uploaded with ImageShack.us



Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Total cost - $22
 
Last edited:

rabien

Master Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2006
Messages
3,859
Reaction score
0

Warlock86

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
1,900
Reaction score
0
how u DIY the stand bro??! bery interested to learn!

Hey manaeater,

It's pretty easy.

List of items from Ikea
- Look for a wall shelve that you like

In this case, I got myself EKBY VIKTOR ($12)

- 4 CAPTIA legs ($10)

After which, drill the 4 legs to the wall shelve of interest.

I got the idea from http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/-081509

For now, I realised that the one that i have made is too big for my usage. Do remember to measure your table or etc to make the right dimension.
 

amekago

Arch-Supremacy Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2006
Messages
22,880
Reaction score
3,951
wah ur stand is simple, practical, easy to make, looks nice, and is inexpensive....full of win :s12:
 

DiscMan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2001
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
Hey manaeater,

It's pretty easy.

List of items from Ikea
- Look for a wall shelve that you like

In this case, I got myself EKBY VIKTOR ($12)

- 4 CAPTIA legs ($10)

After which, drill the 4 legs to the wall shelve of interest.

I got the idea from http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/-081509

For now, I realised that the one that i have made is too big for my usage. Do remember to measure your table or etc to make the right dimension.

Hi,

jus wanna check with u so far for your monitor, does it cause a warp of the shelf? I thinking of doing the same for a 2 monitor setup but wondering if necessary to put at least another leg in the middle of the shelf. :)

TIA!
 

Warlock86

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2001
Messages
1,900
Reaction score
0
u buy from ikea?

Yup, I got all from Ikea


Hi,

jus wanna check with u so far for your monitor, does it cause a warp of the shelf? I thinking of doing the same for a 2 monitor setup but wondering if necessary to put at least another leg in the middle of the shelf. :)

TIA!

According to Ikea's product information. The shelve unit that I have used can take up to 15kg of weight. It should be able to support two monitors. To be frank, I find it very steady.
 

DiscMan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2001
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
According to Ikea's product information. The shelve unit that I have used can take up to 15kg of weight. It should be able to support two monitors. To be frank, I find it very steady.

Hi,

thanxs for the info.. guess maybe i'll pop by ikea later today n grab the parts n give it a try.. anyway.. not too expensive investments to try.. :) Thanxs!
 

nickwh

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2000
Messages
2,473
Reaction score
0
Thanks for sharing, maybe time to head off to Ikea to find some DIY. :)
 

manaeater

Master Member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
3,127
Reaction score
0
Thanks for sharing Warlock bro! very helpful here :) will go get those items during one of the weekends!

Hey manaeater,

It's pretty easy.

List of items from Ikea
- Look for a wall shelve that you like

In this case, I got myself EKBY VIKTOR ($12)

- 4 CAPTIA legs ($10)

After which, drill the 4 legs to the wall shelve of interest.

I got the idea from http://www.unplggd.com/unplggd/-081509

For now, I realised that the one that i have made is too big for my usage. Do remember to measure your table or etc to make the right dimension.
 

DiscMan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2001
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
According to Ikea's product information. The shelve unit that I have used can take up to 15kg of weight. It should be able to support two monitors. To be frank, I find it very steady.

I jus completed my setup based on your idea :)

IMG_2662.jpg


i've used 6 captiva legs instead of 4 cos I worried the shelf is too long and may warp.

Here is the end result :D
IMG_2670.jpg
 
Last edited:

zedane

Master Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2008
Messages
3,932
Reaction score
0
It looks fantastic DiscMan. But isn't it unstable because some part of it is on the acrylic table top whereas some is not?
 

DiscMan

Senior Member
Joined
Mar 20, 2001
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
0
It looks fantastic DiscMan. But isn't it unstable because some part of it is on the acrylic table top whereas some is not?

actually it's ok. Cos the base of the Captiva legs are rubber padded and they are actually adjustable so u can adjust them to be stable even on uneven surfaces. Anyway, mine is glass not acrylic table top. Dont get glass tops as they are nice to look at but difficult to maintain. Some more dont know y dust and dirt will end up below the glass. Only way to clear is to take the whole piece of glass out to clean.
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top