DIY PC is Dying in SG.........

manshen

Banned
Joined
Oct 26, 2013
Messages
1,904
Reaction score
0
Its sad but I have to say its true............:(

2 very good indications:

1. SLS crowd...... Back then, getting a PC means going down to SLS to grab parts and assemble one. I can still remember SLS so crowded back then that its hard to walk. Now, its so empty....

2. Personal experience. My job requires me to visit households on a daily basis. OK, I don't have a large database, only around 2K+ households.

But I see mostly notebooks in houses. Even branded PCs are super rare. DIY PC? I see like once in a blue moon nia.......I think I seen just around 10 DIY PCs so far.

Sigh..........I think its just a matter of time before DIY PC become a thing of the past. Not so soon but maybe another 10-20yrs down the road.
 

vivalarave

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2012
Messages
6,489
Reaction score
41
Steve jobs already predicted that we live in a post pc era.

With mobile phones and tablets better than a laptop or desktop for causal surfing, plus cheap laptops for work..

Moreover all the nice games are on consoles.

Who needs a pc?
 

Donten

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 17, 2009
Messages
2,003
Reaction score
0
its true. even windows 8 os also converting to 'apps'. it feels like we are going backwards. recently i bought a surface pro 2 as a laptop and the os was a horrible nightmare for me.
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
It is very different.

Even laptop still is very weak in performance.

Given the fact that a laptop has very limited power to draw from the adapter provided. The GPU is never as good as a desktop. And furthermore weaker in terms of performance.
 

Hua_Hui

Great Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
63,796
Reaction score
5
true fan of desktop platform here :)

nothing beats the joy of assembling ur own pc
 

royfrosty

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
27,727
Reaction score
1,553
ya and i've been doing for myself and my friends for the past 15 yrs lol...

Hi 5. And yet i extend help to our forumers here!

Now considering building my another rig for my future father in law.
 

MevolutionX

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 11, 2010
Messages
1,300
Reaction score
0
Only come into the desktop scene from laptop this year. I will never go back to laptop if mobility isn't an issue.

iPad is everywhere now... Unless doing cpu/gpu intensive work/gaming. I am afraid that normal household won't have DIY PC.
 

AnTiLooP

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,226
Reaction score
87
Enthusiasts who like the shoik factor (like me) or gamers will continue with diy. Otherwise no one really bothers. Mainstream = cheap low cost laptops or standard tablets. Old timers prefer to stick with what they have
 

Clone_

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2008
Messages
901
Reaction score
0
diy also dead in a sense that people don't want to learn to build anymore and rather have others build for them
 

weione

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2009
Messages
1,193
Reaction score
0
In short technology affect the way of life and how people uses them.

Now a days you dont see many people engross or into a new computer but their focus shift towards big screen phones or tablets.

But i will still stick to a DIY PC for gaming and performances!
 

bullsback

Supremacy Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2000
Messages
6,210
Reaction score
226
DIY PC are specific, for those that need their power....

for the work that I do, decent power is important... :)
 

akloaklo

Supremacy Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2004
Messages
7,265
Reaction score
23
DIY do you mean assemble a pc myself? Or I choose the parts and I get the shops to assemble for me?


I cannot and dare not try to assemble my pc because i'm worried I might screw up and break something or might fry some components from ESD. However I love choose my own pc parts and getting the shops to assemble for me. Getting a pc is a luxury event that I can only do every 6-8 years...so it is not something I can "practice" (Current pc already 7 years and will upgrade this year or early next year)

As of now i'm looking at one local based custom pc website that I can choose the parts and they assemble and test for me and deliver in 3 days.(still deciding if I should try to assemble it myself...)
Why I don't go down to SLS is simply because I do not have a car and if I buy my entire pc there, got to make 1-2 trips. However I will not rule out going to sls in the future.
 

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
34,286
Reaction score
420
DIY do you mean assemble a pc myself? Or I choose the parts and I get the shops to assemble for me?


I cannot and dare not try to assemble my pc because i'm worried I might screw up and break something or might fry some components from ESD. However I love choose my own pc parts and getting the shops to assemble for me. Getting a pc is a luxury event that I can only do every 6-8 years...so it is not something I can "practice" (Current pc already 7 years and will upgrade this year or early next year)

As of now i'm looking at one local based custom pc website that I can choose the parts and they assemble and test for me and deliver in 3 days.(still deciding if I should try to assemble it myself...)
Why I don't go down to SLS is simply because I do not have a car and if I buy my entire pc there, got to make 1-2 trips. However I will not rule out going to sls in the future.

I was once like u.. but after watching youtube videos, managed to assemble myself. It is good to do it urself, any problema, at least u can diagnose it a little urself, rather than taking out everything n bringing it to distro. U can ask a fren along, and help u carry to taxi stand.
 

shawntyq

High Supremacy Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
49,760
Reaction score
1,980
i for one will have a higher satisfaction after i bought a computer that i individually choose each of the component myself.

thats not the end, overclocking the diy pc to have better performance gives me even more satisfaction from it.
 

fleas1

Senior Member
Joined
May 16, 2009
Messages
819
Reaction score
1
I don't know about you but I find fps games especially easier to play on PC.

Unless consoles allow me to use keyboard and mouse on it I would still prefer gaming on PC
 
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ Forums. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts. Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards and Terms and Conditions for more information.
Top